Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interior wood trim - Now available in horizontal grain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received a call from a lovely Tesla rep this morning. She told me that my car (not delivered yet) qualified for an option of having an obeche matte horizontal grain.

I wonder if they'll offer both the vertical and horizontal - or if they will drop the current vertical.

Anyway, what do you think?
206iejn.png

k1sz7k.png

Last edited:
Seems all the pics in the Design Studio are showing horizontal wood grains. Guess the vertical is no longer available.
Did anyone catch at what date they did the switch?

Literally happened overnight 1/13 to 1/14. I immediately went to the DS when I saw this post yesterday and the horizontal didn't appear anywhere-- then this morning, on a tip, I checked the DS again and it was the only option.

Interesting. I have the Carbon Fiber trim so no dog in this race but I always thought the vertical wood grain was an interesting and different approach which I was initially not so sure about. After seeing the vertical grain in pictures for many months, now the horizontal grain would seem to take some readjusting to. I suppose they both achieve the desired effect.

I'm not sure that it's a difference that makes difference, but tend to agree with BlkCld that horizontal flows nicely.

I think that other color or texture options would be cool - maybe bamboo, color match to exterior, a printed circuit board pattern, or a long narrow LCD to watch the kids in back or change the trim to anything you want at will!

On the photo, I don't like it at all. But thats just my tatse I guess.

It does make the dash flow more, but it also detaches it more from the "centre console" part. And there, from a styling point of view, is already quite a bit missing. And apart from that, it also doesn't look very modern in some way. Its now something for the older driver.

I wouldn't have gotten obeche gloss if it were horizontal. Vertical totally fits the car in my opinion.

I say thumbs down. It looks cheap (at least in these pics) and does not match the grain on the console armrest (and I would imagine on the center console and or yacht floor). It reminds me of these:

Attachments

• AA1807.jpg
    AA1807.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 1,066
Having idolized the Countach as a kid from the outside I have to say a little something just died in me seeing the interior of one for the first time. Ugh...
image.jpg

Hope this helps... this is the real deal. True, its no beauty, buts its much better. The upper photo shows a replica. The original interior had soft leather everywhere. And that was the only creature comfort the car offered. Everything else, controls, driving position, was heavy and demanding. like the car was imposing its will. (I spoke an owner a few weeks ago. Sat in it.. Still very special..)

In my eyes an interior/dash is the 2nd face of a car. Its always there when you're there. It doesn't have to be a pretty face or try to please, but should show character. Be fitting. A place where you want to spend time.

In a very clean dash like this, the change of the grain has quite an impact. They won't change it back again I suppose, or offer people a choice, but I think this horizontal grain makes the wood look like an aftertought.

Everything else, controls, driving position, was heavy and demanding. like the car was imposing its will. (I spoke an owner a few weeks ago. Sat in it.. Still very special..)
As a somewhat tall person (6'2"), falling into a Countach for the first time was disappointing. Look how the driver foot well slopes in dramatically. It was nearly unbearable for more than a few minutes. Very tight given its size.

Back on topic, I went with CF on mine, but I love the horizontal grain. I might have reconsidered. Like a poster above, I am curious how the grain on the armrest is oriented now. Will they have the grain running perpendicular to each other? That'd be odd, I think.