Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

North Carolina EV Road Use Tax

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As much as everyone hates taxes, income must come from somewhere. In this case, infrastructure needs maintenance, etc. Currently most of our roads are paid for and maintained by fuel taxes. Every gallon of gas carries a $.56 (56 cent) tax in NC. Figure a person drives 12,000 miles per year (lets be generous and say in a 30mpg car)... that's 400 gallons of gas. That's $224 in gasoline taxes per year. $100 probably is pretty fair (as much as I hate to say it as a Model S owner).

If this issue was truly about fairness then environmental and health cost need to be taken into account. Air pollution caused by millions of ICE cars causes or attributes to respiratory diseases (ie asthma), cancer and other ailments. China gives us a vivid example. With that in mind EV drivers should get a rebate.

Better solution is to adjust gas prices accordingly but this will not happen.

If this issue was truly about fairness then environmental and health cost need to be taken into account. Air pollution caused by millions of ICE cars causes or attributes to respiratory diseases (ie asthma), cancer and other ailments. China gives us a vivid example. With that in mind EV drivers should get a rebate.

If Alywa's numbers are even approximately correct ($100 for an EV, $225 for an ICE), then EV's are getting preferential treatment. Whether that's sufficiently preferential for your taste is another thing. :)

EV drivers should not get a rebate... that road is not going to maintain itself for free, or for negative dollars. EV drivers need to pay something, ICE drivers should pay significantly more (IMHO of course), and the big question is "how much" in each case. Note that gas taxes haven't been raised in a looong time, and there's a critical dearth of funds for infrastructure, so the amounts should both be higher than they are today.

Not that it's likely to happen, but I'd like to see "the gas tax" split in two. Every car should get its mileage reported (and some random sample of ~10% of the cars should actually be inspected to keep people honest), and the annual registration procedures should include the payment of a "road tax" that is equal for all vehicles on a per-pound-mile basis. So if a 10,000-lb truck drives 25,000 miles annually, and the fee is 0.5 cents per 1,000 pound-miles, he pays $1,250. If I drive my 4700-lb Model S 5,000 miles a year, I pay $117.50. The actual "gas tax" is then intended to cover only the cost of carbon pollution caused by burning said gas (and they can keep it at $0.56/gallon AFAIAC).

EV drivers should not get a rebate... that road is not going to maintain itself for free, or for negative dollars. EV drivers need to pay something, ICE drivers should pay significantly more (IMHO of course), and the big question is "how much" in each case. Note that gas taxes haven't been raised in a looong time, and there's a critical dearth of funds for infrastructure, so the amounts should both be higher than they are today.

Not that it's likely to happen, but I'd like to see "the gas tax" split in two.

And that's what I meant by saying adjusting gas prices. We are basically in favor of the same solution. Of course we have to pay our share for maintaining the infrastructure etc.
At the same time we have to realize that the cost of environmental impact from the carbon based transportation is just dumped on the public and not reflected in gas prices.

I did the math on how much in road taxes I'm paying here in NH. I figured that, going totally electric, I would be depriving the state and federal coffers of around $200/year based on my calculations from recording every fillup I've had in my Camry for almost the last 2 years. That equals how much I spend in gas, overall IN A SINGLE MONTH. In other words, unlike many of our other taxes, only 1 month out of the 12 is 'for taxes' when it comes to filling up my Camry.

My attitude is that I'm perfectly willing to pay a $15-$20/month tax that would go straight into the highway use funds. After all, I'm saving a LOT more money than that in my hypothetical (eventual) Model E 3 years from now.

I was in North Carolina last month ... if your tax money is improving roads and infrastructure supporting roads, I'd be looking for a refund. Your roads SUCK! I thought Florida's never ending road construction made for bad roads .... you guys have pot holes every 20 feet up there.

We also pay $100/yr in Washington state. I'm OK with that, somebody has to pay for road maintenance. The idea that really scares me is Oregon's proposals for a GPS tracking pay-per-mile (plus they know where you have been). I'm NOT OK with that based on privacy and excessive intrusion. $100/year flat fee is acceptable.

We are doing the right thing by moving to sustainable transportation, ICE buyers are doing the wrong thing by continuing planetary destruction. The government should increase gasoline taxes or add an additional tax to ICE purchase to make up for lost revenue from EV owners. We are doing the right thing, they (ICE) are not. We should be rewarded, not fined. Those who are doing the wrong thing (buying ICE vehicles) should be discouraged from buying those products through higher taxes and fees. Driving an ICE is like smoking a cigarette, so let's treat as such.

Of course I'm just kidding, but it sure sounds nice.

How about an Emission Tax? I still have 2 Ice vehicle and would be happy to consider paying a Tax per mile. I would like a credit for saving Trees and Emission , from A Gem EV, EZ GO Golf Cart, Polaris EV RTV. String Trimmer, Chain Saw, Hedge Trimmer, Screw Drivers, Solar powered gate opener, electric shaver, tooth brush, on and on . Sorry fello Tesla I'm on my soap box.

@fdog. tell us about your Tesla. I am a Tesla owner in waiting. Late Feb, Delivery, Fell free to copy anything I post to the form.

-1.jpg

NORTH CAROLINA
HOV Lane Exemption: Qualified EVs and PHEVs may use designated HOV lanes regardless of the number of occupants in the vehicle.
Electric Vehicle Financing: The Local Government Federal Credit Union offer green vehicle loans to purchase qualified new and used fuel-efficient vehicles. The loan interest rates are 0.5 percent lower than traditional new or used vehicle loan rates.
Vehicle Inspection Exemption: Qualified PEVs are exempt from state emissions inspection requirements.

+ Federal tax credit
+ annual savings in gasoline > electricity costs
+ no oil changes
+ no transmission fluids
+ no belts, blah blah blah
+ etc.

I'd say you're still coming out on top.

Look at it this way....

1) We tax cigarette because it is a know health hazard...

2) We tax gas and it is also a know health hazard....

So this tax is exactly the same a taxing non-smokers because they do not buy cigarettes and need to pay their fair share of the extra health costs...

I don't see it that way.

EV drivers use the roads just like ICE drivers. In fact, I probably drive more now knowing that I'm not "wasting gas." the roads need to be maintained. Tolls need to manned. Registrations need to be maintained.

The tax is for the infrastructure, which we all use.

Now I don't know if $100 is too much, just right or too little. I think that's probably fair based on how much I paid for gas in 2012, registration, emissions checking, etc.

Your cigarette tax analogy works only if people who don't own cars have to pay an annual road tax.