Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Gila Bend, AZ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SOMEBODY needs to get to Gila Bend to report the progress! I know . . . you're thinking that there is not much happening in Gila Bend! Not true. You can visit the Space Age Motel, the Gatlin Site Park, and the Gila Bend Visitors Center. You can also visit the Sonoran Desert Monument and check out the opportunities to purchase some excellent Papago baskets. Please post photos.

Spoke to the manager at Carl's Junior in Gila Bend this morning. She said that the Tesla crew has been there working on the supercharger area for 3 or 4 days. Hope this means that it will be completed in the next couple of weeks.

I have a trip on Feb 22 from San Diego To Tucson. What do you guys think the chances of Gila Bend and either El Centro or Yuma could be operational by then?

It is with the whole family, so I'm trying to avoid slow charging stops at J1772s or RV 14-50s.

I have a trip on Feb 22 from San Diego To Tucson. What do you guys think the chances of Gila Bend and either El Centro or Yuma could be operational by then?

It is with the whole family, so I'm trying to avoid slow charging stops at J1772s or RV 14-50s.

Yuma could go live any day, so I think you will probably be able to use it. Construction may be getting started about now on El Centro, and probably hasn't started on Gila Bend so neither of those is likely to be available in time for your trip.

Yuma could go live any day, so I think you will probably be able to use it. Construction may be getting started about now on El Centro, and probably hasn't started on Gila Bend so neither of those is likely to be available in time for your trip.

I could go Yuma to Tucson, but at 240 miles it would mean at least an hour at Yuma for a full range charge, and a very slow 65mph pace the while way to Tucson.

They started working on the Gila Bend SC a week ago (approx. 1/21). It might just be live in time for your trip.

I checked the distance from the Yuma SuperCharger to our hotel, and it's just 227 miles, so it looks like getting there should be fine with a full charge in Yuma.

There are 4 blink charger a block from the hotel at a Kohl's. I'm a little worried about leaving the car overnight in the Kohl's parking, but I need at least 10 hours charge time to add 200 miles of range back.

Gila Bend make the whole trip super easy. I'm really hoping it's open in time, if not at least next time will be better.

I checked the distance from the Yuma SuperCharger to our hotel, and it's just 227 miles, so it looks like getting there should be fine with a full charge in Yuma.

There are 4 blink charger a block from the hotel at a Kohl's. I'm a little worried about leaving the car overnight in the Kohl's parking, but I need at least 10 hours charge time to add 200 miles of range back.

Gila Bend make the whole trip super easy. I'm really hoping it's open in time, if not at least next time will be better.

And don't forget that there is a Chargepoint 40 amp charger at Picacho Peak, about 40 miles north of Tucson, in case of emergency.

There is a problem with El Centro CA {AND LAS VEGAS IN THE PARKING GARAGE}.... Boring to get power to the site. Engineers are looking at how they can get power to the proposed location. If it cannot be done then a new site location will have to be decided upon and all that goes with it. I think it will be a while before we see and El Centro CA site. To my understanding as of today there is no construction, just re-engineering, with the intent to make the current site feasible. Time will tell.. if the engineers can make it happen then construction will begin. If not... well, we already know the answer to that question..MONTHS AWAY from a supercharger !!!!!!

Napabill... You can park at City Hall in Yuma AZ and charger there FREE J1772, if you need to... just call ahead to ensure they have left the power available and "ON". Contact Richard Nichols, Facilities Maintenance manager at 928-373-5121 the day before you need it. Now, if you need it on the weekend, contact him on or before Friday 2PM. It is a short walk to the Hilton for a nights stay and you'll get a chance to see the new supercharger site in the parking lot of the Hilton. You maybe lucky and the Yuma AZ superchargers may be finished and powered up by the time you arrive. I have driven from Gilbert AZ to Yuma AZ on a single charge. I stayed a few mph below the limit for quite a while until I was sure I would have the remaining range to arrive with reserve. I arrived with 30m remaining. My trip was 200 miles long. Also check back on the Gila Bend AZ supercharger page{this site} prior to departure.. I may have more on the site within hours!! with photos!! I spoke with my source there an hour ago!!

Napabill... You can park at City Hall in Yuma AZ and charger there FREE J1772, if you need to... just call ahead to ensure they have left the power available and "ON". Contact Richard Nichols, Facilities Maintenance manager at 928-373-5121 the day before you need it. Now, if you need it on the weekend, contact him on or before Friday 2PM. It is a short walk to the Hilton for a nights stay and you'll get a chance to see the new supercharger site in the parking lot of the Hilton. You maybe lucky and the Yuma AZ superchargers may be finished and powered up by the time you arrive. I have driven from Gilbert AZ to Yuma AZ on a single charge. I stayed a few mph below the limit for quite a while until I was sure I would have the remaining range to arrive with reserve. I arrived with 30m remaining. My trip was 200 miles long. Also check back on the Gila Bend AZ supercharger page{this site} prior to departure.. I may have more on the site within hours!! with photos!! I spoke with my source there an hour ago!!
FWIW, it was liuping that was concerned. I live in Tucson, so I'm already here!:wink:

And don't forget that there is a Chargepoint 40 amp charger at Picacho Peak, about 40 miles north of Tucson, in case of emergency.

I was looking at that site. It would be an even better backup site if the CHAdeMO adapter was available. :)

So it's actually a 40Amp Charger? That's good to know. I've seen it reported as 70A on Plugshare and 30A on the Chragepoint site, so I was confused. That's quite a range...

I was looking at that site. It would be an even better backup site if the CHAdeMO adapter was available. :)

So it's actually a 40Amp Charger? That's good to know. I've seen it reported as 70A on Plugshare and 30A on the Chragepoint site, so I was confused. That's quite a range...
It actually may be a 70 amp charger. But I don't have dual chargers so I didn't care.

Napabill... You can park at City Hall in Yuma AZ and charger there FREE J1772, if you need to

Thanks. I'm going to need a nearly full charge in Yuma, so J1772 would mean an overnight charge. Good in an emergency, but not ideal for a weekend visit to Tucson. ;)

I'm pretty sure Yuma is going to be online in the next few days, given the change in status of the web link, so I'm no longer worried about it. Just Gila Bend.

- - - Updated - - -

It actually may be a 70 amp charger. But I don't have dual chargers so I didn't care.

Cool. It might be the first and only time my dual chargers come in handy. ;)

It's a 70A J1772 charger! I charge there all the time. The voltage runs around 200V, so your miles per hour of charging is usually around 42 miles/hr. A half hour charge there should get you over the hump. There is also a NEMA 14-50 plug on the side of the charger.

And I've used the chargers at Kolhs also. They're quite close to the entrance, and I wouldn't be scared to leave a car there overnight.

It's a 70A J1772 charger! I charge there all the time. The voltage runs around 200V, so your miles per hour of charging is usually around 42 miles/hr. A half hour charge there should get you over the hump. There is also a NEMA 14-50 plug on the side of the charger.

And I've used the chargers at Kolhs also. They're quite close to the entrance, and I wouldn't be scared to leave a car there overnight.

Thanks. I'm feeling much more confident about the trip now.