Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Expectations: 2014 Model S P110+ SuperSport

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This thread is made to discuss the Model S SuperSport Idea.
The idea gets its credit to Bonnie!

We may see an announcement this week at Detroit

Expectations:
Larger battery
AWD
Weight saving Tech i.e. More carbon Fiber, less trim
More supportive Seats
0-60 of 3 - 3.5
top speed of 140 mph
More exotic colors (green and orange we have seen)

Current cost consensus: $170k-$200k (very exclusive)

AIMc's Reasons it will happen:

1. The model S assembly line is up and running. It would take much less effort to put an extra motor in an S than into the new production X

2. We know what the S can do. Test the new drive system in a proven product first before putting it into the X. I doubt it will have to go through new safety testing/crash testing versus the X.

3. Ramping up for X production will drain some cash and potentially bring the stated goal of 25%+ gross down. Why not put out a super car that will include a super premium, super profit margin in Q1 and Q2 to help keep the gross margins up.

4. Battery production is the constraint. It is not going to get a lot better in the real near future. Put the batteries into the high margin vehicle.

My Conclusion:
Reasons we will see a SuperSport AWD Performance Model S P+ - lol :
Tesla realizes the consumer desire for a AWD. They see that an AWD Model S before Model X could hurt Model X. They want the Model S to compete in as many segments as possible. Tesla will most likely need a bigger battery for Model X, why not try it out first. A higher margin Model S could help balance the low margin Model X in beginning. Elon sees that they need Gen3 ASAP but, Tesla needs capital to do that. A high margin AWD Model S allows Tesla to do multiple things at once, besides creating a super fun toy. So by actually evaluating the idea, you find out that it is actually in Tesla's best interest to create a Model S SSP110+

Let me know your expectations or thoughts

Last edited:
The hint about the Super Sport AWD Model S has been given not only by Bonnie but also by Nigel and they are both moderators. So I think that they are right. But the larger battery pack has never been mentioned. It should be announced in Q2 2014 or sooner. Since the Super Sport AWD Model S will be very fast I hope that Tesla will implement the Driving Assistant Package at least as option on it.

I believe it should and will happen. My reasons:

1. The model S assembly line is up and running. It would take much less effort to put an extra motor in an S than into the new production X

2. We know what the S can do. Test the new drive system in a proven product first before putting it into the X. I doubt it will have to go through new safety testing/crash testing versus the X.

3. Ramping up for X production will drain some cash and potentially bring the stated goal of 25%+ gross down. Why not put out a super car that will include a super premium, super profit margin in Q1 and Q2 to help keep the gross margins up.

4. Battery production is the constraint. It is not going to get a lot better in the real near future. Put the batteries into the high margin vehicle.

Disclaimer: I hold a SigX reservation but will probably drop it for an AWD model S. Not sure I can swing the $ for the Super S but I call dibs on a ride from someone who can.

Probably off-topic but...
What if they replaced the two rear seats, the frunk, and the trunk entirely with batteries. For now let's assume the chemistry is the same as Founder's 85 kWh batteries. How many kWh could they fit with that much additional space? 200 kWh?

Probably off-topic but...
What if they replaced the two rear seats, the frunk, and the trunk entirely with batteries. For now let's assume the chemistry is the same as Founder's 85 kWh batteries. How many kWh could they fit with that much additional space? 200 kWh?

Don't forget weight though,

I could understand putting batteries where the rear facing seats though, it'd prob make it about 125, or so

Just a thought here. But has anyone ever asked Elon if our 85 packs are already software limited? Such as the 40 to the 60 was? I've been wondering this lately! Not to say that they didn't initially offer what they had but I know Elons dream is to reach middle America which was why there was a 40 in the first place right?

More range would certainly grab some media attention.

And yet...cell supplies are pretty tight, so shipping more cells per car might put the number of cars at risk. Plus Tesla already gets the max CARB credits per car, they won't get more credits if they offer more battery. And the Superchargers, once built out, greatly reduce (do not eliminate) the need for more range. Plus of course a new battery increases weight, requires expensive crash testing, etc. There are obvious advantages to a bigger battery, but there are enough downsides that I suspect this isn't a top priority for Tesla right now.

If they do make a bigger one, I would think it's to keep the Model X over 300 miles of CITY (not EPA) range to get max credits per car. They gotta crash test the Model X anyway, so they could design it to hold more weight.

AWD yes. Larger battery, no, at least not shipping soon.

vfx, a few days ago, mentioned the AWD version is getting crash tested. Don't know where he heard that, don't even know if the post is still available. But I suspect he might get good info.

Not going to happen. Someone who wants to spend 150-200k on a car does not want a model which, in another variant, only costs 70K. If tesla wants to make an exclusive car they better get an updated Roadster with AWD and big battery.

I read somewhere in a forum where a guy stated that the awd tesla S will be in sale from February and that the 2wd tesla s will be discontinued in September ?? And that there wil be new features on the S as head up display,distronic, soft close doors and cameras instead of side mirrors...
the acceleration for the performance S 4wd was estimated to 3,3 s and for the tesla x 3,4s ???

the new car was going on sale 12 of feb he stated and delivery in September ...

is this bs ???

wouldnt want them to discontinue the 2WD just when my gets delivered... I see a huge secondhand price drop coming if this is true :-(

Last edited:
I'm skeptical we'll see a larger battery / super-performance version of the S this week only because that seems like the kind of new toy that would make Mr. Musk giddy and tweet-happy, and we haven't seen any teasers about burnt-out dynos or anything of that ilk.

That of course doesn't rule it out later on down the road, i'd just be surprised if such a product is announced this week.

Not going to happen. Someone who wants to spend 150-200k on a car does not want a model which, in another variant, only costs 70K. If tesla wants to make an exclusive car they better get an updated Roadster with AWD and big battery.

I don't think it will happen, either, mostly because it's a distraction at this point and the company has more important things to focus on.

But on the question of how broad a price range one model can support, look at the spread between the 911 and GT2. Or the base S class and S65 AMG.