Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clicking sound when wipers are on?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

pgiralt

Supporting Member
Jun 16, 2013
Cary, NC
I'm pretty sure that my car didn't have this issue before, but it's been a while since it's rained. This past week, it was raining a lot and I noticed that when the wipers are going, there are several clicks (like the sound of a relay) when the wiper is going. Normally it's 3 clicks per wipe "cycle". Once when it goes up, once when it hits the top, then one when it comes back down again. After the delay, then the cycle starts again with a new click. It really just sounds like the relay or perhaps some switch for controlling the wipers, but it seems pretty loud to me. Just wondering if anyone else notices this and it's normal (and therefore I'm going crazy because I don't remember hearing it before) or if most everyone's is nice and quiet when the wipers are running.

I'm pretty sure that my car didn't have this issue before, but it's been a while since it's rained. This past week, it was raining a lot and I noticed that when the wipers are going, there are several clicks (like the sound of a relay) when the wiper is going. Normally it's 3 clicks per wipe "cycle". Once when it goes up, once when it hits the top, then one when it comes back down again. After the delay, then the cycle starts again with a new click. It really just sounds like the relay or perhaps some switch for controlling the wipers, but it seems pretty loud to me. Just wondering if anyone else notices this and it's normal (and therefore I'm going crazy because I don't remember hearing it before) or if most everyone's is nice and quiet when the wipers are running.

I had a similar, but maybe not identical issue. I took my car in to the service center and they fixed it. They said it was a loose mounting bracket for the wiper blade assembly. It's definitely not a normal sound whatever your issue is. Take to the Service Center and have them take a look at it.

I've had exactly this problem fixed by the SeC 2 months ago.
They welded / rivetted (conflicting info from staff / invoice) the loose mounting bracket to the chassis.
Originally this part is glued to the chassis.

No, you don't need glue (lijm), that is the cause of the original install failing.
You need welding (lassen) or rivets (popnagels).
SeC A'dam did this, together with ABS Splinter A'dam. No charge to me.

Mine started doing that a few weeks ago while driving through a heavy rain with the wipers on max.

I called it out when I went in for annual the other day and they seemed to have fixed it. I haven't gotten my hands on the final paperwork yet to see what their notes were.