Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model s at 40,000 Miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are asking for a 40000 mile review of a car that has been out for about 18 months?

2500+ miles per month. ~600 miles per week. 100-150 miles per day.

Hmmm, there are a few owners like that. But only a few. I've only got ~17000 miles and it is still a WONDERFUL CAR. Doubt my opinion is going to change in next 17000 miles. Everything is holding up quite well and the nits have been picked by many others.

Consumer Reports review on their car was very fair. I suggest you look that one up.

I love the car but concerned about long term ownership issues. Can an owner give a "long term ownership" review. thanks.

"Search" is your buddy on the forum. I've had mine since early 2013 and had since bought our 2nd one. Wife wanted one too, so I decided to hand down my white + and pick up a gray +. Very happy with it. Have not tapped the 40k mark, but so far the quality of the car is solid.

Dont worry, in march 2011 i got my first 2 mitsu i mievs , one has 67000 and one has 34000 now, no problemsfor ev,
They are still in use , but for me and my friend who drove those kilometres we have now the nissan model 2013 and the tesla model s, both..
Even better than the first try out becauce of thebetter range.,
Greetings from ev adapt in the netherlands.

Someone who commutes 240 miles per day posted that he's near 38K the other day. I'm at 24k, but if you're concerned about long term issues come back in a couple years when there are a few hundred vehicles past the 40k mark, particularly the later versions (say, after the first 6 production months).

I've had mine 16,500 miles so no long term answer yet (fine so far). However, my experience with other cars with big batteries (100,000 and 150,000 miles) indicates that they are less problematical than old fashioned ICE cars.

I love the car but concerned about long term ownership issues. Can an owner give a "long term ownership" review. thanks.

I have about 35,000 miles on my car. It was one of the first 100, so it had a few adjustments and quality issues at first. Everything was repaired and replaced and adjusted to suite me for free whenever I brought in the car (and is still). The frunk latch got bent and had to be replaced. The door handles gave a little problem, but they have all been replaced and have worked well for over a year. A door was sagging, but they "re-torqued" the door bolts (and I think moved things a bit) and it lines up now. I have gotten new mats. There have been pages of factory checks and upgrades, and more "Over the Air" upgrades than I can count.

It's still the best car out there, ahead of the others by about 10 to 20 years. It is so reliable and trustworthy that we sold out Prius a couple weeks ago 'cause we never drove it. Tesla is our only car now.

I used to take it in about once a month. Haven't had to for a long time now. Currently I have the tire monitor issue, where the TPMS keeps telling me I need to check my tires NOW! every time I drive it. I know they have a fix and I am planning to get it done when the Center Console is installed. No big deal.

This is one of the few cars I have ever owned that doesn't seem to get old. Most cars, after a few thousand, you start to feel, "well, this is getting old". But with the Tesla, every drive you sit and think, "Wow, what a neat car!" over and over. My wife agrees that it is the best thing on the road. It doesn't hurt to have people come up and get the "tour" and get the Tesla Grin and tell you that this is the future, as if you didn't know that!

It also doesn't feel bad to remind some of these folk that although they paid thousands less for their Gas-o-mobile, they continue to make payments at the pump and to the dealer for parts and service that I will never need, amounting to more thousands, making the "rich man's car story" a lie.

I have been to Canada and back, drive 900 miles to Phoenix to see the kid, I've charged at relatives homes, RV parks, HPWCs and superchargers. Get Exxon-Mobil to give you free gas on your next trip!

I've had a previous EV and get 300 miles per charge easily and often, but I am not adverse to racing a Camaro or a Harley and beating them, even though I don't have a Performance. Even they give me thumbs up and a big grin.

But you probably shouldn't ask me for my opinion: I am biased. I own one.

Dante crossed 50k a little while ago, though I don't think he's on the forums these days ...

that's because he's too busy driving non-stop

- - - Updated - - -

I just reached 35k on my P85 this week. I've had it since March `13 (10 months), and currently driving at a rate of 1100mi/week.

Once you driven one, you'll never go back. I will never buy an ICE car again. I don't even know if I will ever buy a non-Tesla vehicle again. If I could afford a second one, I would. If I can finagle trading in my wife's 2013 Ford Flex for the Model X next year, I will.

The Model S blows every other car away. It's fast (0-60 in 3.9 seconds, quarter miles in 12.3), it's silent, it's the safest car in the world, multiple car of the year awards, it's large and roomy with 2 trunks, tons of innovative features and it keeps just getting better with every software release pushed over the air, it's sexy, stylish, oh yeah and it's runs on electricity. no gas. no oil changes. no maintenance. no huge engine with parts to break. no tailpipe no emissions. :) it also saves me lots of money every month between the gas savings and toll booth discounts. and I get to drive in the HOV lanes. if it seems too good to be true, well it is so what more do you want?

Don't have the 40k the OP is asking about, but I am closing in on 22k miles now and have had the car for about 14 months now. There were some initial issues that were primarily related to my car being early in production, but there are two things that I would say:

1) my car has improved over time as Tesla has taken the lessons it has learned and retrofitted many of them into my car (better seals, adjustments of bolts, replacements of parts etc.) and I believe it has become more reliable over time

2) When I take a detailed look at the new cars coming out of Tesla, I can definitely see continued improvement in quality, fit and finish and other details vs. the cars that were made prior. Tesla is a company that is into continually learning, improving and applying those things to the cars coming off the line, so I believe a car that is produced today may have even better reliability at 40k miles than one that was built just a few months ago for example.

You won't really be comparing apples to apples with your question. A car that was built long ago enough to get 40k miles on it by now is not the same car that Tesla is building today. As an owner, I will say that Tesla is trying it's best to improve and make the best product possible. They aren't perfect, they make mistakes, sometimes have communication issues, but my opinion is they are far and away the very best car maker on the planet at this time when you look at the technology behind their cars, the heart of the team they have put together to have satisfied customers and the path that they are on in executing their plan. I have a high degree of confidence in my car and believe it will be a car that will retain a high degree of reliability (also an even higher degree of reliability than a comparable ICE car in it's class) over time.

Sorry for taking this slightly OT but I think it would be of-interest to the OP...
Once you driven one, you'll never go back. I will never buy an ICE car again.
If "a number of crazy things happened" such that Tesla was no more AND if Nissan canceled the Leaf (and recalled all of them to be crushed) AND your Model S became undrivable AND no one was willing to sell you a used Tesla...

What car would you buy today?

Have had my 60kWh for almost a year now, just passed 15K miles, and have absolutely no issues to report; concur with the above. Absolutely hate driving an ICE now, which I frequently walk away from while running and risk rear-ending others thinking that I have regen. Again, not really long term, but by FAR the most reliable, fun, and beautiful vehicle that I have ever owned.

Sorry for taking this slightly OT but I think it would be of-interest to the OP...

What car would you buy today?
Probably a Chevy Volt, but maybe a Ford Focus hybrid. I want to buy American, I want to reward innovation, I want to protect the environment, and I'd rather not fund either the global energy giants or the regimes that support terrorism, but I don't want to buy ugly either. Glad there is Tesla.