Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla vehicles for Russian market

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just recently, russian government has made a decision to stimulate russian people to purchase electric vehicles outside the country and import them without any customs duties.

The validity period for duty free import is from february 1st, 2014 till december 31st, 2015.

Normally people would pay at least around 48% of new vehicle cost in customs duties alone.
This is a big change, and probably will stimulate a lot of vehicle orders from Tesla, especially Model X due to high ground clearance and AWD.

I am wondering if there are plans on making the vehicle interface in russian language (most important navigation and user interface).

Also, in Russia there is a yearly transportation tax which every vehicle owner pays based on engine horsepower. The transportation tax increases dramatically (doubles) once engine horsepower is over 250hp metric.
I am wondering if there are plans on making an engine option for Model S/X in the range of 240hp or so (180 kiloWatts would be perfect).

If such option is available, then I believe Tesla products will be very popular in Russia, at least during this time frame.
Of course opening a Tesla store and service center in Moscow or St-Petersburg would even further increase popularity.

Correction:
Of course, officials say one thing and in reality its quite different :)
Now the rules are that if a person brings an electric vehicle over, then customs duty is still 48% of the vehicle cost. But if a company imports the vehicle, then there is no customs duty(used to be 19% for EV), however there are other taxes, like VAT (18%) plus 10 bucks for each horsepower :). So all in all, for individuals its 48% tax, and for companies its around 30%. Quite different than what the officials claimed - "Duty free import for electric vehicles!" :)

Last edited:
Also, in Russia there is a yearly transportation tax which every vehicle owner pays based on engine horsepower. The transportation tax increases dramatically (doubles) once engine horsepower is over 250hp metric.
I am wondering if there are plans on making an engine option for Model S/X in the range of 240hp or so (180 kiloWatts would be perfect).

If such option is available, then I believe Tesla products will be very popular in Russia, at least during this time frame.
Of course opening a Tesla store and service center in Moscow or St-Petersburg would even further increase popularity.
The Model S is rated a 68kW continues. The 270kW (for example) is a peak output.

When the car is registered the continues output of 68kW is used. For the Roadster for example 40kW was used.

The Model S is rated a 68kW continues. The 270kW (for example) is a peak output.

When the car is registered the continues output of 68kW is used. For the Roadster for example 40kW was used.
Well, in Russia they will definitely take the peak output as the basis for transportation tax, because it generates more money :) As an example, for model S with 416HP motor, yearly transportation tax would approximately be $2000. With 249HP, about $550 a year. (251 HP and it quickly becomes $1000).

The good part is that Tesla will not have to disassemble anything. They can just import tax free the whole car during this time period.

Of course people are aware of Tesla in Russia, however some are skeptical about usability, because there are no superchargers or even public charging stations.
I guess the biggest deal breaker is that the vehicle doesn't have Russian language support and navigation.

The Model S ... 270kW (for example) is a peak output.
As an example,for model S with 416HP motor, yearly transportation tax would approximately be $2000. With 249HP, about $550 a year. (251 HP and it quickly becomes $1000).

For those wondering about the numbers being thrown around here, there's a mixture of data.

Attempting to clarify...
60 kWh85 kWh85 kWh Performance
Peak Motor Power302 hp (225 kW)362 hp (270 kW)416 hp (310 kW)
Model S Features | Tesla Motors

Note that YMMV on these limits. For example, my REST logs report that I hit 363 kW (@ 59mph) in July 2013.
Peak KW on S60, S85, and P85
Since July 2013, I haven't seen as high as 360 kW. The most recent 350+ kW entry I have is from September 2013 (@ 51mph). I think warm weather -- both seasonally (July) and geographically (California vs. Washington) -- plays a factor here. I'll have to "test" again in the summer. :)

Edit:
Fun with data continues...
I have 2612064 streaming samples of "in drive, consumption >= 0". Of those samples 3253 are at 311+ kW, or 0.1245% of the samples. So 99.98% of the time the 310 kW "peak" stat has been accurate for my car.

Last edited:
Just recently, russian government has made a decision to stimulate russian people to purchase electric vehicles outside the country and import them without any customs duties.

The validity period for duty free import is from february 1st, 2014 till december 31st, 2015.

Normally people would pay at least around 48% of new vehicle cost in customs duties alone.
This is a big change, and probably will stimulate a lot of vehicle orders from Tesla, especially Model X due to high ground clearance and AWD.

That would be really good for Tesla, Russia would be a huge market for Tesla.

I am wondering if there are plans on making the vehicle interface in russian language (most important navigation and user interface).

The navigation visual navigation is pulled by Google Maps. So language support probably would be simple for that.

You say engine horsepower, but does that apply to motors? Would a software limitation on the motor's horsepower slide? If software is enough they could limit it to 249hp and than give people an option to unlock it.

Hopefully this change pushes Tesla to open stores in Russia and maybe build a few superchargers on the west part of Russia. Because there is definitely a huge market in Russia.

Tesla Model S Hits Russia A Little Early. So, How Much Does It Cost To Be First? $194,000

labimg_940_345_1_befaa6f2782211e3a622128130bd76d7_8.jpg

Marussia: Russias First Electric Supercar

That would be really good for Tesla, Russia would be a huge market for Tesla.

The navigation visual navigation is pulled by Google Maps. So language support probably would be simple for that.

You say engine horsepower, but does that apply to motors? Would a software limitation on the motor's horsepower slide? If software is enough they could limit it to 249hp and than give people an option to unlock it.

Hopefully this change pushes Tesla to open stores in Russia and maybe build a few superchargers on the west part of Russia. Because there is definitely a huge market in Russia.

At the moment, when the car is imported to Russia by a private person, you must have a vehicle title or a similar document stating that you are indeed the owner. The title will state the engine horsepower. That number will be used as the official horsepower for taxation purposes (for US vehicles, horsepower is adjusted since metric hp is a bit more). There are no test stands that will measure vehicle's horsepower.
Actually, there are some rumors that transportation tax in Russia will be based on engine volume instead of horsepower. So for electric vehicles there will be no tax at all. Then, for sure, everyone will be buying Teslas :)

hetaruqa.jpg

I heard there are dozens of Model S cars in Moscow already, some 3 or more in St. Petersburg and some other cities East of that.

Kind of tough with eventual SuperCharging and Service even driving over to Europe since warranty is void and charger port is US-based.

Well, Russian roads and winters are a bit tough on cars in general.
Wheels, tires and suspension can be worked on by the regular shops. Tesla specific equipment might need tesla service center visit.
As far as winter effects, i wouldnt know anything about that... youre talking to a guy who went out wearing a t shirt and a light jacket when i visited the midwest! :)

I think Elon said that Tesla Motor's policy is not to make money on service. He said that its horrible that people have to overpay for service. That will definitely contradict with regular shop's policy :)
But its not like youll be stranded with a service center, unless its something Tesla specific that needs to be replaced, battery, chargers etc

I suspect Tesla could pretty easily software limit peak horsepower to 249 hp if that made a difference to the tax. The Tesla design decision to make all the controls screen based makes it pretty simple to produce a version with Russian labels and text. I think most Russian buyers would not be deterred by lack of Superchargers for road trips because it's not a very road trip friendly place anyway. Sounds like an interesting opportunity.

I suspect Tesla could pretty easily software limit peak horsepower to 249 hp if that made a difference to the tax. The Tesla design decision to make all the controls screen based makes it pretty simple to produce a version with Russian labels and text. I think most Russian buyers would not be deterred by lack of Superchargers for road trips because it's not a very road trip friendly place anyway. Sounds like an interesting opportunity.
I remember in some interview, Elon said that there is a lot of localization software that needs to be written, because each market has its own set of regulations, but nevertheless it should not be a big problem to translate everything. He also said that Tesla doesn't have a demand generating problem, they have a supply problem. They can't produce enough vehicles to satisfy the demand, so unfortunately I don't think they will try to capture Russian market anytime soon.

Why not? Politics is a fluent thing, and maybe in a year from now all is back to normal. I sure hope so, but then probably some people would have to do some soul searching as to who their real enemy is; hint: look to the south instead of east or west.

If things are back to normal in a year Tesla or any other Western company thinking about entering or expanding in Russia has to evaluate the chances of hostilities resuming between Russia and the West.