Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MS v Floods

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

J1mbo

Aug 20, 2013
UK
OK, so I was driving through yet another flooded road on the way into work this morning when I started to wonder how the MS would cope.

The water was pretty deep by the curb, probably deep enough to be splashed into the air intake at the bottom of the MS grill. I've read a few threads on here where people have killed the battery by getting it wet... wondering how deep the water would have to be before it becomes a problem?

Can water get into the pack from the front air dam?

The pack is sealed, so that's not a problem. There are water sensors that will shut the car off if the water gets too high. Last year there were one or two cars that activated the water sensor when there was no need to do so. My understanding is that they are now less sensitive. The problem isn't the pack, it's the electronics outside the pack.

No work, no car ;)

I'm sure the car is able to deal with more typical rainy situations but things are a bit extreme here at the moment with lots of overflowing drains and surface water hiding nasty potholes.

On a more general note, we have quite a few fords (not the car brand) like this - sometimes in the middle of nowhere with long detours to avoid them.

Check out www.wetroads.co.uk for more examples.

Be good to get some specific guidance on this from Tesla.