Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who would buy the Gen 3 as a beater EV?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just trying to see who on here would buy the Gen 3 as a beater EV?

For myself I would buy one even though I have a Model S. I would alternate between the Model S and the Gen 3 as a daily driver and going into the city (SF) I would use the Gen 3. Parking in the city sucks so I would rather have my Gen 3 dinged up instead of my Model S. I would switch between cars depending on where I would go.

Well I rather have the Gen 3 as a beater car over a Leaf or any other EV. I guess my definition of a beater is a car that you wouldn't mind getting damage or wear on compared to a more expensive and nicer car. Not saying the Gen 3 won't be nice but you get my drift. . .

Understood. You'll be plumping for a base model, I take it and put up with lethargic* (0-60 in 7s) acceleration that's barely better than a 3-series diesel?

I think that should be some used Leafs and Volts out there that people might want to use as a beater.

* Irony. Now we have a Volt my beater is my Prius (which my wife tolerated for a few years). I don't know what I'd do with 7s 0-60. A base model with cold weather package would be good enough for me.

By the time the Gen 3 comes out, the Model S may be the beater. I mean no disrespect... it's just that by then, my Model S will be several years old and likely pushing 100,000 miles.

Yeah. I am using the hell out of my Model S. I won't ever have a 'nice car' and a 'beater car'. But you can bet that whatever car I have will turn into a 'beater' after a few years. Not that they are beat up, I do treat my vehicles well. But I make them do whatever is required of them.

I can't fathom calling any Tesla a "beater," but would vastly prefer to be driving a Model E now over my MS. I typically drive either alone or with my wife. I don't haul large quantities of people or materials. I love the speed, handling, and looks of the MS, but fully believe that the Model E will have all of that plus newer technology in a bit smaller package. Can't wait!

I have 1 car and that car happens to be a Tesla. It's now got 29k+ miles on it. I try to keep it safe and limit wear but it's still a car and cars are tools. A very very nice and luxurious tool... but a tool is a tool. I'm not using it to haul concrete or anything... ok, there was this one time but I used the frunk... I didn't buy a Tesla to have a garage trophy. My last service visit the comment I got was "At least you drive yours" apparently they had seen a models S for some minor warranty work that was 3 months old and had <400 miles on it.

I know some people keep multiple cars and use the really nice ones in the same way I use my sport jacket and dress shoes... I guess I'm not that guy :cool:

I would likely reserve a Gen 3 but not as a beater, I hope there's a Gen 3 announcement soon after the X enters production. With regards to my belongings I have a pride of ownership, so I'll take care of it even if it's my daily driver. Speaking of dinged up cars, my car was actually hit just outside my parents place on a quiet little cul-de-sac by an unknown random person. Can't avoid it no matter how hard you try unfortunately.

I am one of those that use my Leaf as a beater. Haven't washed it once since I got my Model S a year and a half ago. I use it whenever I know the parking at my destination will be tight or I am carrying something that might cause a mess. That said, I expect that the Gen 3 will be too nice to use as a beater.

Not as a beater but I would definitely not feel as badly about not keeping it clean, or getting dings and scratches. I've been considering the Gen 3 since a smaller, non luxury car is more my style. I have to say though that I've been spoiled by the MS. I especially like the space. I'm guessing that the Gen 3 will be amazing but just smaller. It may just replace the MS since my wife is getting the MX and we'll have plenty of space there. "Beater" might mean different things to different people. It wouldn't be a beater for me.

I spotted this thread, and have tried to bite my tongue, but I can't stay out of the pool. The OP's use of word "beater", as well as many other follow on posters, is just wrong!

Here's the totally-official definition of a beater from my own personal dictionary: "Inexpensive, used car that is sufficiently dinged up that you a) don't care where you park it, b) don't bother to fix it if it gets nicked or dented, c) would never even contemplate having it detailed, much less washed, d) wouldn't freak out if it broke down or got stolen - would just replace with another beater."

A new Gen 3 could not possibly be a beater. Not sure if a used one will ever be either. A new Smart, Volt, Leaf, etc. is also not a beater. Nor most of the other less-expensive-than-an-S cars mentioned in this thread. Those are "second cars". Correct title of thread IMO should be "who would buy the gen 3 as a second car to preserve their S". Sirs and madams, you are disrespecting the real beater!

Examples of beaters:
a) 1968 Ford Fury III station wagon that I inherited from my parents with 80k miles on it, drove to 120k despite putting crease in front grille and radiator... stop leak worked fine... and passed along to my brother who drove past 200k. Nobody ever fixed the radiator!
b) 1996 Camry my daughter bought last month for $1000 so she would have transport she doesn't worry about parking on NYC streets... though she's a crappy beater owner because she still worries.

Thank you! Finally some sanity. No $35,000.00 car can be called a "beater" to anyone with a net worth of less than Elon...

Yes. No disrespect to current company, but if you're trying to break down the stereotype of Tesla owners of being a bunch of smug elitists, the words "beater" and "Tesla" should not be used in the same sentence. Sure, in time, 15-20 years from now, there will probably be older Model S's and Gen-IIIs running around that will sell for a fraction of what they did new, and some that were not well-maintained might have "beater" status by then. I think the kind of market positioning and perception the Gen-III needs to shoot for is similar to the Apple iPhone: Readily attainable, but slightly aspirational.

Just trying to see who on here would buy the Gen 3 as a beater EV?

Well, I suppose if one is wealthy enough to consider a $35,000 car a disposable "beater" vehicle than I would estimate about two or three percent of the US population could consider it a "beater".

I certainly would not. $35K is a lot of money. I treat all my cars with respect.