Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to Upgrade Wall Adapters After Reports of Garage Fires - Bloomberg News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DJ Frustration

Former Model X Sig, Model S, Model 3, Model Y
Jun 19, 2012
Miami, Florida
Interesting development.
Tesla to Upgrade Wall Adapters After Reports of Garage Fires - Bloomberg

"Tesla Motors Inc., which is under investigation by U.S. regulators over fires in its Model S sedan after battery punctures, will upgrade wall charger adapters following reports of overheating in garages.

The charger connectors, which connect Tesla-issued cables with wall outlets, will be mailed out in the next two weeks, Chief Executive Officer Elon Musk said in an interview today."

Anyone have a link to the interview from Elon?

I wonder why we haven't heard anything about this from Tesla directly. From reading the article, it seems like a good idea - add a thermal fuse in the plug so if it gets too hot, it shuts off. This should deal with any bad wiring in the outlet like what probably happened in the garage fire.

Typical overblown headline corrected by the first sentence of the article. :rolleyes:

That said, it's good that Tesla is doing this. Now if only they'd beef up the adapter pins and/or the way the adapter attaches to the plug at the same time...

Which wall adapter is that? The 120v adapter? Or the 40 amp adapter?
I would have to assume it's going into all the adapters. That'd be the best way to detect overheating at both sides of the adapter.

Tesla to Upgrade Wall Adapters After Reports of Garage Fires

Tesla to Upgrade Charger Adapters After Reports of Garage Fires - Businessweek

I had a problem with my 14-50 connect not locking in place last weekend. I brought it to the service center and they replaced both the UMC (the locking pin was not quite grabbing the adaptor) and the 14-50, even though the old 14-50 locked in place fine. They said they just got in batch of new, improved 14-50s last week.

You can tell if they are the new version, if it has a green dot on the side that plugs into the wall.

I had a problem with my 14-50 connect not locking in place last weekend. I brought it to the service center and they replaced both the UMC (the locking pin was not quite grabbing the adaptor) and the 14-50, even though the old 14-50 locked in place fine. They said they just got in batch of new, improved 14-50s last week.

You can tell if they are the new version, if it has a green dot on the side that plugs into the wall.
So this is the third version? If I understand correctly, the first and second versions have had problems overheating. So would the one with the green dot be a second or third version?

I would have to agree. Other than a mistaken plural (I only know of one garage fire), it's pretty descriptive.
There was only one that I know about that there was a formal fire investigation by a fire department. However there have been others that have been reported to Tesla and on this forum. There is only one that I know of that was open flames, but the others could also be classified as fires because they were hot enough to melt and rapidly oxidized (aka burn/fire). Also a Tesla owner alleged that they were burned disconnecting the overheating charge connections.

My daily use adapter is the 6-50, not the 14-50.

- - - Updated - - -

Btw, if I try to unplug my HPWC during charge or right after charge, it is impossible to do without burning my hand. I mean the type of burn that leaves redness for several hours. I now have an oven mitt next to the car.

The HPWC should not get that hot. You have an issue and need to notify customer care.

There was only one that I know about that there was a formal fire investigation by a fire department. However there have been others that have been reported to Tesla and on this forum. There is only one that I know of that was open flames, but the others could also be classified as fires because they were hot enough to melt and rapidly oxidized (aka burn/fire). Also a Tesla owner alleged that they were burned disconnecting the overheating charge connections.

Gotcha, thanks. Then I have no problems with the headline.