Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 165

Thread: Tesla to Upgrade Wall Adapters After Reports of Garage Fires - Bloomberg News

  1. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by brianstorms View Post
    Let Bloomberg know how misleading and damaging their article's headline is.
    Quote Originally Posted by ibcs View Post
    Sent both of them comments over the sensationalism of the title.
    What is misleading?

    It's wrong to smear sources to cover up safety hazards.

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Randolph, MA
    Posts
    1,673
    Quote Originally Posted by efusco View Post
    So, will it just be the NEMA 14-50 Adapter? What about those of us who purchased/received with the car the NEMA 6-50? What about the various 30 amp adapters?
    Unknown currently, but likely only for the 50A adapters right now, I bet they eventually have thermal fuses in ALL of the adapters.
    Model S Reservation: P10010 (July 2nd 2012), MVPA signed 12/4/2012, delivered 1/17/2013, VIN: 03245
    I support OpenEVSE: http://code.google.com/p/open-evse/

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,164
    Quote Originally Posted by efusco View Post
    So, will it just be the NEMA 14-50 Adapter? What about those of us who purchased/received with the car the NEMA 6-50? What about the various 30 amp adapters?
    I was wondering the same thing. Though, I'm not even sure if it's the UMC or the HPWC that's being changed.

  4. #14
    Blue 85kwh since 12/8/12
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    1,416
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow View Post
    What is misleading?

    It's wrong to smear sources to cover up safety hazards.
    I would have to agree. Other than a mistaken plural (I only know of one garage fire), it's pretty descriptive.
    PLEASE NOTE: these musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership. My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my expressed consent.

  5. #15
    R1211 & S282 NigelM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    10,720
    Blog Entries
    2
    Discussion in the Model S Battery & Charging sub-forum: Tesla-to-Upgrade-Wall-Adapters-After-Reports-of-Garage-Fires

  6. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by Trnsl8r View Post
    I would have to agree. Other than a mistaken plural (I only know of one garage fire), it's pretty descriptive.
    There was only one that I know about that there was a formal fire investigation by a fire department. However there have been others that have been reported to Tesla and on this forum. There is only one that I know of that was open flames, but the others could also be classified as fires because they were hot enough to melt and rapidly oxidized (aka burn/fire). Also a Tesla owner alleged that they were burned disconnecting the overheating charge connections.

  7. #17
    Model S - R140
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Weston, Florida, United States
    Posts
    1,346
    Btw, if I try to unplug my HPWC during charge or right after charge, it is impossible to do without burning my hand. I mean the type of burn that leaves redness for several hours. I now have an oven mitt next to the car.
    Model S - R140 - 5YJSA1DN4CFP01275 - 85kWh, Dolphin Gray, Black Leather, Piano, Tech, Audio, Suspension, 19", Pano, Twin, HPWC.

  8. #18
    Senior Member Lloyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Posts
    3,823
    My daily use adapter is the 6-50, not the 14-50.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by aviators99 View Post
    Btw, if I try to unplug my HPWC during charge or right after charge, it is impossible to do without burning my hand. I mean the type of burn that leaves redness for several hours. I now have an oven mitt next to the car.
    The HPWC should not get that hot. You have an issue and need to notify customer care.
    SP-2823(sold), Tesla/Rav4EV, P+17252, XP-12

  9. #19
    Member liuping's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    953
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow View Post
    So this is the third version? If I understand correctly, the first and second versions have had problems overheating. So would the one with the green dot be a second or third version?
    The green dot is the new one the service center received last week, so I assume it's the very latest.
    S85 | Pearl White+Ta​n+Obeche Matte | Tech+Parking+Fog+Dual Chargers | 19" Std Wheels | Photosync+XPEL | VIN 254XX | Delivered 11/25/13 | Powered by 8.3kW Solar

  10. #20
    Blue 85kwh since 12/8/12
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    1,416
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow View Post
    There was only one that I know about that there was a formal fire investigation by a fire department. However there have been others that have been reported to Tesla and on this forum. There is only one that I know of that was open flames, but the others could also be classified as fires because they were hot enough to melt and rapidly oxidized (aka burn/fire). Also a Tesla owner alleged that they were burned disconnecting the overheating charge connections.
    Gotcha, thanks. Then I have no problems with the headline.
    PLEASE NOTE: these musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership. My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my expressed consent.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Tesla Fires
    By killer_model_s in forum Tesla Motors
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 2014-01-12, 07:39 AM
  2. Replies: 26
    Last Post: 2013-11-20, 09:44 PM
  3. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 2013-08-29, 06:18 AM
  4. Eberhard upgrade of MC to 40 amps with adapters
    By Palpatine in forum Tesla Parts for Sale
    Replies: 108
    Last Post: 2009-11-16, 01:34 PM
  5. Eberhard upgrade of MC to 40 amps with adapters
    By Palpatine in forum Roadster
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 2009-08-03, 12:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •