Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone still on FW 4.5 getting pressed to update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Musterion

18h 03m 37s −24° 23′ 12″
Jan 10, 2013
M8
Anyone else still on firmware 4.5 getting pressed to update? I got a call from Tesla with a message that it was "time for me to update the firmware." I never got 5.6, and when 5.8 rolled in I caught the ride-height stealth upgrade and held off waiting for the January fix. Then I heard that won't come in January but maybe "1st quarter." Then a new 5.8 had folks jumping up and down about glitchy charging. I was thinking hey I might upgrade after all just to get 120kW supercharging. Now apparently I have the distinction of having the youngest reported "A" battery delivered in a new car (May 2013) which in theory puts me with the Sigs (not a bad place to be otherwise) in having a 90kW limited pack. I don't have car wifi capability with 4.5 but no data plan has been announced and my wifi at home goes through expensive cellular anyway. Is there a reason I should update?

I have an idea to ask Tesla to guarantee in writing I will be able to supercharge at the advertised 120kW if I update the firmware. I'm afraid if I update I'm not going to gain much based on feedback I read here, but am open to reasons to update...

/.... Is there a reason I should update?

I have an idea to ask Tesla to guarantee in writing I will be able to supercharge at the advertised 120kW if I update the firmware. I'm afraid if I update I'm not going to gain much based on feedback I read here, but am open to reasons to update...

I like your thinking! :biggrin:
120 kW SC would be the 'only' reason...wiper blade service mode is nice, screen cleaning mode helps once in a while

If you talk to them can you try and get that stupid wifi connect thing eliminated! + the phone icon on the top of the screen

I too am still running FW4.5 on my 60. For me stability is king. I have 13,500 miles on the car now and have yet to even have to reboot any of the screens. I also want the lowering suspension because every mile counts when I go on some of my long road trips. I may eventually upgrade when I feel that the user base out there comes to the conclusion that there is a truly superior Firmware version out there. From what I have read about FW5.8, it's not it. I would like 105KW supercharging (currently limited to 70KW on FW4.5), so this is the most compelling reason to update. I think by spring time I might upgrade. I would like to make a pilgrimage to the Tesla factory in California when the coast to coast supercharger network is up and running. Having the fastest charging possible when going across country is a good thing.

Hold off hold off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bad!!!!!!!!!! software

Hold off hold off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tesla has been doing nothing but damage control and poorly written software.
I wish we could clone software from your car.

The air suspension is virtually worthless at this point.
What happened to GPS aware ride height?

If were worried about charging fires, why not install smoke detectors above
the charger.

Somebody with a brain needs to get a job at Tesla.
They haven't done anything consumer smart since they built the car.

Hold off for as long as you can!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

People are reporting problems with charging, where they used to be able to charge.
The ride height controls have been scrambled.

And these last two versions of software have been a PR nightmare.

If you're considering buying a car don't buy air suspension.
We don't have software that makes it work properly.

Anyone else still on firmware 4.5 getting pressed to update? I got a call from Tesla with a message that it was "time for me to update the firmware."

How obnoxious of them. I haven't gotten any calls. They should fix the new bugs and restore the missing functionality before pestering people like this.

I doubt the software upgrade will change whether you can charge at 90 or 120. That sounds like a hardware limitation, from what I read on other threads.

I got the call this morning, too.

I told them that I'd be staying on 5.6 until issues have been addressed (i.e. no more "low" suspension and strange 12V battery-draining bugs with 5.8). I like to read the reviews of the latest and "greatest" before making a decision whether to install the new update.

the charger.

Hold off for as long as you can!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

People are reporting problems with charging, where they used to be able to charge.

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks" - William Shakespeare

the charger.

I disagree with about everything here and submit that you are being a drama queen. The OP and a few others have made the calculated decision to hold off on updating based on facts and their own preferences. They are being reasonable even though they don't choose to trust Tesla's coders until they've seen/heard the results from us. You sir, are rabble rousing and trying to make a scandal where there is none. Exaggerated baseless comments like yours are a favorite of internet "journalists" looking to write an inflammatory review of a popular company they know will score lots of "hits".

I disagree with about everything here and submit that you are being a drama queen. The OP and a few others have made the calculated decision to hold off on updating based on facts and their own preferences. They are being reasonable even though they don't choose to trust Tesla's coders until they've seen/heard the results from us. You sir, are rabble rousing and trying to make a scandal where there is none. Exaggerated baseless comments like yours are a favorite of internet "journalists" looking to write an inflammatory review of a popular company they know will score lots of "hits".

+1000

For those of us that have chosen to wait before upgrading, I have a question for you.

Are you still seeing the update icon and message? Yesterday I noticed that the update icon was gone and this morning the screen didn't ask to schedule my upgrade. I wonder if they just time out or if Tesla pulled it for those of us still on 4.5?

Anyone else notice this?

Geoff

For those of us that have chosen to wait before upgrading, I have a question for you.

Are you still seeing the update icon and message? Yesterday I noticed that the update icon was gone and this morning the screen didn't ask to schedule my upgrade. I wonder if they just time out or if Tesla pulled it for those of us still on 4.5?

Anyone else notice this?

Geoff

Did you check to see that the upgrade did not happen last night??

I'm still waiting and still had the reminder yesterday. Someone from my local Tesla service center left me annoying voicemail about it a few days ago. I'm actually due for annual service and want to get some of the low-priority-to-me TSBs that're affecting me taken care of, so I'll have to call her back and ask about doing all that and not upgrading. . . .

Anyone else notice this?

Geoff

Still on 4.5, still getting daily nag.