Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where are the charging stations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has someone started a project to map out locations of Tesla charging stations yet?

If I want to take a long drive, I need to know where I can get a charge along the way.

A few years ago the EV1 owners got really good at this. They convinced lots of places to install chargers, and they mapped out the locations and kept the maps up-to-date so folks could plan.

Has someone started a project to map out locations of Tesla charging stations yet?

If I want to take a long drive, I need to know where I can get a charge along the way.

A few years ago the EV1 owners got really good at this. They convinced lots of places to install chargers, and they mapped out the locations and kept the maps up-to-date so folks could plan.
Not to worry. The Aptera nav system already does this and Tesla has already stated theirs will as well. (Although Tesla somehow believes they will be first).

Didn't Hyatt Hotels sign an agreement with Tesla.
I'm pretty sure the Hyatt in SFO and another further out were going to allow charging.

Didn't Hyatt Hotels sign an agreement with Tesla.
I'm pretty sure the Hyatt in SFO and another further out were going to allow charging.

Yea. I found several stories that said Hyatt was gonna install chargers in THREE hotels. Three whole hotels! None of them are even within driving range of my home! This is not helpful. If they were gonna install in 500 hotels, that might be useful. Then if a few other folks did the same thing, say a major gas station chain, a major fast food chain, ...

We need some real information. Plans. Tesla is silent on this issue. Without guidance we can only assume that we won't be able to get a charge, which makes the Tesla vehicle a short-range-only-and-forever gizmo.

Tesla needs to stop the mystery, and tell us what is planned.

I want to see plans that give me hope that I will be able to drive from one end of California to the other, or perhaps from San Diego to Las Vegas, or San Diego to Tucson. Then I will be impressed.

Last edited:
Tesla needs to stop the mystery, and tell us what is planned.

I want to see plans that give me hope that I will be able to drive from one end of California to the other, or perhaps from San Diego to Las Vegas, or San Diego to Tucson. Then I will be impressed.

I don't think there is any mystery - I don't think there are any concrete plans at this point.

I think anyone who buys an electric car today planning for it to be a road-tripping car will be up for disappointment. Electric cars are pretty much still for people who have other means of transportation for inter-city travel.

The Roadster was never really designed to be able to quick charge. The Model S has some theoretical technology to allow for it, but I would not expect Tesla to announce anything about quick charge/battery swap specifics until it is closer to production.

Several of us spend untold volunteer hours to not only get chargers installed, but we also maintain them, and keep track of their location and operational status. These are all the chargers known in the US. And anything that is an AVCON will work with the Tesla (with a small adapter box).
EV Charger News - Home
Any new Tesla (or other) chargers will be added to this list. The fact is, all new chargers will work with the tesla and all other new EVs, so eventually there won't be all these different options.

The latest is an interactive map:
EVChargerMaps
Check in the lower left corner to choose area and type of charger.

Emergency Charger List

Several of us spend untold volunteer hours to not only get chargers installed, but we also maintain them, and keep track of their location and operational status. These are all the chargers known in the US. And anything that is an AVCON will work with the Tesla (with a small adapter box).
EV Charger News - Home
Any new Tesla (or other) chargers will be added to this list. The fact is, all new chargers will work with the tesla and all other new EVs, so eventually there won't be all these different options.

The latest is an interactive map:
EVChargerMaps
Check in the lower left corner to choose area and type of charger.

Do not forget to mention the emergency charger list. EV owners exchange their addresses and allow others to use their chargers. Tesla owners can join the list.

The charging station network is all grassroots movement from owners at this point.

The internet and communications in general are much better than the EV1 days. Tools like on-board WiFi NAV-GPS filled with all the current info about available chargers will be valuable to program a day trip to include time driving, stops at charge points and time charging. Even charging while waiting for reported traffic jams to die down.

It's lightyears away from a glovebox full of folded maps printed by Oil conglomerates. You would get them free when you bought gasoline (and sometimes drinking glasses) at a filling station. Then when you were lost you could find the next place to fill up. How quaint.

BTW there are 11 percent less gasoline stations now that 10 years ago. It may be that Gasoline peaked last year.

Tesla's 440V DC charger will have to be something that Tesla does or farms out to a service vendor. Those are some serious charge stations.

EEEE gads. There are a lot more than I thought but only 2 on the east coast and one is not working. How do we start fixing that around here? what are the next steps?
Start screaming and yelling. It may not work, but it can make you feel MUCH better. This all happens on the West coast first because of our historical ability to set air quality standards higher than the fed (we had a bit of an issue with that during the last administration, but we seem to be back on track now!). So also figure out how to follow CA's lead in this, or work for even HIGHER standards in your state.

Do not forget to mention the emergency charger list. EV owners exchange their addresses and allow others to use their chargers. Tesla owners can join the list.
Great point. It will be much easier to offer power to EVs when they're all conductive and just need an outlet.

The charging station network is all grassroots movement from owners at this point.
Well, not exactly. Keeping track of them and maintaining them today certainly is. But the initial installation wasn't. Plenty of public money was used to install them.

BTW there are 11 percent less gasoline stations now that 10 years ago. It may be that Gasoline peaked last year.
Very interesting statistic!

Tesla's 440V DC charger will have to be something that Tesla does or farms out to a service vendor. Those are some serious charge stations.
There are many ways to charge a Tesla. We just need the proper connector or adapter. They don't all have to be high-zoot 440 VDC units to be useful!

The Hyatt chargers deal came about...
There were a few (couple?) installed to great fan-fare. And as far as I know, they were subsequently all removed after the camera crews packed up. Not really sure what the deal is today.

At this point Tesla is waiting for their exterior charger to be approved ---and possibly the long awaited J1772 connector.
Is are all EV makers... and charger makers, yup.

Start screaming and yelling.

Well, not exactly. Keeping track of them and maintaining them today certainly is. But the initial installation wasn't. Plenty of public money was used to install them.

There are many ways to charge a Tesla. We just need the proper connector or adapter. They don't all have to be high-zoot 440 VDC units to be useful!

D,

It's the great unknown, Who do we scream at? You know that these things would be dusty corroded relics out of a "decaying planet" movie and would be all yanked out by now if not for the grass roots people using them.

Of course they were installed with government money but which branch? Are they maintained by local municipalities? State? Fed? Power companies? Here's an idea for the charger network map. Each charger is notated by a number or letter that refers to a legend at the bottom. The characters relate to the government or whatever organization that is in charge of maintaining that charger. Include a phone number and a contact person. Maybe even the number of the guy (or gal) that actually wrenches the chargers.

Obviously an EV driver will be highly motivated to call at the moment they find a dead charger and will read the "who to call" number that is sometimes stuck on it, but having the number on the map will be good so anyone can sit down and phone-bank all the broken ones at in one shot. This could be done in rotation by EV club members.

EV Charger News - Home

Where can I learn what the heck "AVCON" means, and what this adapter box is?

I found that web site, and several others, during my search a few days ago, but it wasn't clear to me what the various acronyms for types of charger mean. No explanation found.

I really WANT to believe, but its pretty tough right now.

I'd be happy to buy a Tesla for MOSTLY local driving, but I would like to believe that it is possible to take a longer drive. Nothing found yet gives me any ability to have such a belief. :-(

Your statement misses and obscures the issue. There are many ways to chage a Tesla, but most of them are not useful on a trip.

If I'm on a long trip, I need a charging station that can charge reasonably quickly, because I don't want to stop for 12 hours, or 4 hours, etc. I'd like to stop for maybe 45 minutes while I eat lunch. Therefore, it has to be one of the larger (higher power) charging stations.

Not necessary to get a full charge... Heck I wouldn't normally have discharged the thing all the way to get there -- not a safe behavior.

So I need big charging stations, spaced close enough so that I can have a very good chance of getting to the next one in the general direction I'm going if I find this one is blocked or inoperable. (Sorta like pilots planning alternate landing opportunities.)

Seems to me this requires 200 or so charging stations along the major freeways in California just to make it possible (not even easy) to take a long trip. So what do I see? No plans. Silly press releases about some hotel chain gonna install three.

I'll get 'em installed at my company. Can probably make this happen in at least 2 California cities. One person working for the company already took delivery of his Tesla roadster.

I have no patience.

I think we should all chip in and get him a Roadster. If Pninen likes it then everyone will.

If he doesn't then we will take it away.

Further incentive and aversion techniques will also be incorporated. :smile:

pninen,
We can tell you have no patience. Based on what you said I think it is pretty safe to say that the Roadster is NOT for you.

Your answer is a classic "love it or leave it" kinda response. Seems a shame you don't have a more open minde about the practicalities. These things won't just pop up without anybody workin' on them.

Your answer is a classic "love it or leave it" kinda response. Seems a shame you don't have a more open minde about the practicalities. These things won't just pop up without anybody workin' on them.

I don't think anyone doubts that fact... but I think they may have been put off with what might equate to ranting and raving over an issue that we here have no control over.

One of Fisker's reasons for a plugin hybrid is because the gasoline infrastructure is already there... it's going to be a fairly large undertaking to get an electric infrastructure in place. Baby steps... and patience (which you stated you don't have... hence him saying it's not for you)

If I'm on a long trip, I need a charging station that can charge reasonably quickly, because I don't want to stop for 12 hours, or 4 hours, etc. I'd like to stop for maybe 45 minutes while I eat lunch. Therefore, it has to be one of the larger (higher power) charging stations.

For the most part today, if you want a car for inter-city travel, owning an EV as your only car is not for you. I know of people who have traveled from San Francisco to LA in a Roadster - it is possible - but not nearly as convenient as a gas car today.

Today you either still need a second car (gas powered) for the occasional trip, or plan to rent a car when that happens (or fly, or train or something).

Tesla has announced some possibilities for the Model S to allow for quicker charges - but the Model S is far enough out that no one is building that infrastructure yet, and likely won't for a few years.

EVs are not for yet for everyone. Pretty much the pre-requisites for an EV today are:
1) own your own house with a garage you can use to charge
2) own more than one car
3) have the means and be willing to buy an expensive car

3 usually implies 1 and 2. There are the uber-EV nuts here which will tell you you don't need #2, or ways to get around #1 but for the majority, you need these 3 things.

Eventually, we will get to the point where
a) there are enough EV early adopters that a charging infrastructure will exist because there will be demand enough to make it economically viable,
b) the cost will come down which will compound a)
c) the range will go up reducing the need for a),
and d) people will be comfortable enough with EVs to realize that they do not need their EV to do everything (much like I don't need my Mercedes to be able to drive me to Hawaii...). That day is not today.