Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many miles on your Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ran a search and couldn't find this topic discussed...

I'm wondering who has the model S with the highest miles, and what, if any, problems they have experienced with the car so far? TM rep informed me that there is one floating around with 400,000 + miles on it, and so far all it needed was a battery replacement.

So how many miles on yours?

TM rep informed me that there is one floating around with 400,000 + miles on it, and so far all it needed was a battery replacement.
Woah.

Napkin calculation...

Except for Founders vehicles, there are very Model S over a year old.

1 yr * 365d/yr * 24hr/d = 8670 hr

400,000 mi / 8670 hr = 46 mph

I find it difficult to believe there is a Model S vehicle that has been averaging 46mph, especially since it has to stop to charge at least some of the time.

Edit: Ok, I couldn't let this go.

Let's make some simplifying assumptions....
- 55mph in "ideal" conditions, and thus you get 300mph range
- 300mph uses (made-available-by-Tesla-portion of) the full "85 kWh"
- no geographic obstacles
- no traffic obstacles
- no weather obstacles
- no human delays (eating, restroom use, sleeping, etc.)
- supercharger is at the perfect 300 mi separated locations along your route
- the battery was a prototype that supports 120 kW supercharging by some miracle
- the battery is somehow immune to tapering and high/low battery charging rate limitations

300mi / 55mph = 5.45 hr
120 kW / 85 kW = 1.41 hr
5.45 hr + 1.41 hr = 6.86 hr for each 300 mi cycle
or...
43 mph

Ok so basically it's not even theoretically possible for a Tesla Model S to already have travelled 400,000 miles unless it was attached to a stationary power source and on a treadmill-like device.

- - - Updated - - -

arjun said:
model S with ... 40,000 + miles on it, and so far all it needed was a battery replacement.
We have at least 2 forum members with this many miles and probably more like a half-dozen or more. 40k seems early for a battery replacement though.

Last edited:
I'm approaching 10 months and I'm at 20k miles on my 60kwh MS. I thought that I had a lot of miles on mine, but apparently not. I hope that a higher capacity battery (like 120kwh) is available at a reasonable when I am due for a battery change

24K after 13 months. No major issues, lots of little ones (door handles, buzzes and squeeks, the steering column click, fogging tail lights), almost all fixed promptly by Tesla.

- - - Updated - - -

For those of you with 20k+ miles, how much rated range have you lost from spec?
there are lots of threads on this subject. It's not a straight forward answer. I started with 272 miles rated on a max charge. The most I've gotten recently is 252 miles rated. But there have been software changes, we know they've increased the reserve buffer, and there obviously have been real losses...how much those factor in each is what is not completely clear.

27k miles and only one road trip, and that was less than 700 miles. My Tesla is my daily driver for me and at least two of five kids. We love it, and have had some minor issues (mostly related to being an early car) but would not change a thing!

I seriously doubt there are any 400k+ Model Ss

heard last year that one of Tesla's test vehicles, driving a couple years before general production, had ?2 or 300,000 miles on it

TM rep informed me that there is one floating around with 400,000 + miles on it, and so far all it needed was a battery replacement.

well that last statement is interesting, because Elon himself said in an interview that it has over 500,000 miles, no mention of any battery replacement. fyi it's a it's a lab vehicle, not a test vehicle (probably just sits on a dyno roller or something all day long). and this was back in April, so that lab vehicle has WAY more than 500k on it now.

link to the story : Tesla owners get 'no-fault' battery warranty
Here is the quote:
"We don't think anybody could put enough miles on to kill the (85 kwh) pack. That could turn out to be wrong, but we have half-a-million miles on one in the lab," says Tesla chief Elon Musk. "Even the 60 kwh customers will be able to take it well over 200,000 miles."

related story with same quote: http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/tesla-to-offer-eight-year-warranty-on-battery-pack/

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like digitaltim is leading the pack so far with 39.8k! Anyone higher?

I have 35k on mine in a little over 9 months. First 2.5 months was 6500 miles. Next 6 months (June-November) was 27.5k miles. This is my normal commute schedule, at a rate of ~1100mi/week. Then I was on a 'hiatus' for about a month over December break + working from home a lot then so only put about 1000 miles on in the last month. But now back on track with my average of ~1100mi/week. It won't take me long to pass digitaltim. His rate of 39.8k in 13 months is ~700/wk. Overtaking that by ~400/wk , in about 10 weeks I should should be in the lead.... :p Cherish your moment now, digitaltim, for it is inevitable that I shall strike thee down! lol

Yobigd20 - I almost posted that I knew you would run me down at some point...my weekly commute to NYC/NJ cannot match your daily commute into the city. Though I easily have 3-4 months of downtime w/o the car between personal and business travel...3 weeks of travel in the next 6 weeks so you may take over sooner...

I only have 1012 miles, but, I've only had the car for three weeks. This is the most miles I've put on a car in this short of a time. I only had 5000 miles in the first year I had my 2011 BMW 535i. At the rate I'm going, I'll have 17,200+ miles by the end of the year. And loving it!!!

well that last statement is interesting, because Elon himself said in an interview that it has over 500,000 miles, no mention of any battery replacement. fyi it's a it's a lab vehicle, not a test vehicle (probably just sits on a dyno roller or something all day long). and this was back in April, so that lab vehicle has WAY more than 500k on it now.

link to the story : Tesla owners get 'no-fault' battery warranty
Here is the quote:

related story with same quote: http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/tesla-to-offer-eight-year-warranty-on-battery-pack/

- - - Updated - - -

I have 35k on mine in a little over 9 months. First 2.5 months was 6500 miles. Next 6 months (June-November) was 27.5k miles. This is my normal commute schedule, at a rate of ~1100mi/week. Then I was on a 'hiatus' for about a month over December break + working from home a lot then so only put about 1000 miles on in the last month. But now back on track with my average of ~1100mi/week. It won't take me long to pass digitaltim. His rate of 39.8k in 13 months is ~700/wk. Overtaking that by ~400/wk , in about 10 weeks I should should be in the lead.... :p Cherish your moment now, digitaltim, for it is inevitable that I shall strike thee down! lol
Wooow. What is your weekly commute if you don't mind me asking YoBigD?