Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Toronto to Chicago?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anybody taken their Model S from Toronto to Chicago yet?

If so - can you share any tips/suggestions? Thinking about do this next weekend for a meeting. If I can't figure out how feasible it is, I'll just fly. But the car is so fun to drive that I'd rather make it happen if I can!

My daughter and son-in-law live in the Chicago area and that is a trip I will want to make. Until the London / Chatham Superchargers are in, and maybe a couple more through Michigan, I don't think it's feasible as a 1-day trip. (I can do it in about 8 hours in an ICE).

Anybody taken their Model S from Toronto to Chicago yet?

If so - can you share any tips/suggestions? Thinking about do this next weekend for a meeting. If I can't figure out how feasible it is, I'll just fly. But the car is so fun to drive that I'd rather make it happen if I can!

In theory you could do:

Toronto - Windsor 364km

Windsor – Scooter Pro – 90 amp
Charger type: CS90
5950 North Service Rd. E.

or

Windsor – Comfort Inn & Suites Ambassador Bridge – 90amp
Charger type: CS90
2330 Huron Church Rd

Windsor - St. Joesph 317km

St. Joseph Supercharger
3260 Niles Rd, Saint Joseph, MI

St. Joesph - Chicago 152km

The first leg is pushing it, especially in winter. It should be doable if you pre-heat the battery, keep the speed at 100km/h and draft trucks when possible. You could stop in London as a back-up plan if the range estimates fall short for Windsor.

I am planning on going to the Detroit auto show in two weeks so was looking at the leg from Oakville to Detroit. I haven't fully decided but I could stop for a couple hours in London or at the Stoneridge Best Western. Apparently it is working again. Chatham is another option I think but I would like to go through Sarnia. The Maumee Supercharger near Toledo should be online any day I think so if you can get there you are home free to Chicago on Superchargers.

Make sure you check the Sun Country web site because Plugshare doesn't have a complete list of chargers.

We did this trip a couple of weeks ago (from Pickering). We ended up deciding to charge at Woodstock Hydro (4x CS-90) so that there would be no risk of being ICE'd or having to wait for other EVs. We stayed overnight in Michigan and charged at 30amp/240 at the Hampton Inn in Auburn Hills. Just be aware that charging at -20C is slower than you'd expect and you should plug in immediately upon arrival at the "slow" charger. With the Toledo, OH SC it should make it possible to do easily in one day.

I believe the London SC should be operational around the end of Feb or March which will make the trip very enjoyable.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I am planning on going to the Detroit auto show in two weeks so was looking at the leg from Oakville to Detroit. I haven't fully decided but I could stop for a couple hours in London or at the Stoneridge Best Western. Apparently it is working again. Chatham is another option I think but I would like to go through Sarnia. The Maumee Supercharger near Toledo should be online any day I think so if you can get there you are home free to Chicago on Superchargers.

I haven't looked on a map, but wouldn't Sarnia take you out of your way quite a bit? If you go through the tunnel at Windsor/Detroit, you end up right near the Cobo Center.

I haven't looked on a map, but wouldn't Sarnia take you out of your way quite a bit? If you go through the tunnel at Windsor/Detroit, you end up right near the Cobo Center.

Yes, but I am staying the night before in Grosse Pointe and those friends say going through Sarnia is faster to their place. But I have to weigh faster with efficiency so will look into it further.

I'm still pondering this trip. Keep up the dialogue! Every time I decide to fly, someone else posts here and I become tempted to make the trip again :)

It helps to put some numbers on it.

For the first leg assume you drive 100km/h but average 90km/h with stops. Time is 364/90 = 4 hours

Assume a range charge in Windsor at 208V 70A = 14.56kW. This is about 6 hours for 85kWh (not counting the taper).

Second leg is 314/90 = 3.5 hours.

Assume half hour at the Supercharger to top up. And say you speed up on the last leg to average 100km/h, which is 1.5 hours.

Total trip time is 15 hours. As mknox said, not a day trip.

Nice work!
If I drive, I'll probably stay over in Windsor there and back.

Thanks for the numbers!

It helps to put some numbers on it.

For the first leg assume you drive 100km/h but average 90km/h with stops. Time is 364/90 = 4 hours

Assume a range charge in Windsor at 208V 70A = 14.56kW. This is about 6 hours for 85kWh (not counting the taper).

Second leg is 314/90 = 3.5 hours.

Assume half hour at the Supercharger to top up. And say you speed up on the last leg to average 100km/h, which is 1.5 hours.

Total trip time is 15 hours. As mknox said, not a day trip.

There's an alternate route which is slightly faster by using the 240V charger in Chatham and covering more distance on Supercharger:

Toronto - Chatham 292km (3 hours)

Chatham Downtown Mall / Retro Suites Hotel
100 King Street West, Chatham, ON

Charge at 240V 70A (5 hours)

Chatham - Angola Supercharger 314 km (3.1 hours)

3855 Indiana 127, Angola, IN

Add 300km at Supercharger (45 min)

Angola - Chicago 264km (2.6 hours)

Total time: 14 1/2 hours