Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recontenting the speakers in the rear hatch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone without the Premium sound package added speakers to their rear hatch? My girls can barely hear any music when they are in the rear facing seats, so I want to put some in there. I'm hoping the wiring is already there for them!

Thinking about this, it would be nice if these hatch speakers were included with the jump seats. You really can't hear music back there.

Last edited:
I've got that hatch panel off and alas, there are no wires ready to accept the speakers. However, there are two wire bundles that run down either side of the hatch into the roof. Each one has plenty of room for more wires, too. The metal fasteners are a bit of a pain, but the panel does come off. To put it all back on, you might need to bend back some of the tabs with needlenose pliers.

hatchspeakers1.jpg
hatchspeakers2.jpg
hatchspeakers3.jpg
hatchspeakers4.jpg
hatchspeakers5.jpg

It looks like these speakers will work perfectly with the mounting tabs:
Amazon.com: Pioneer TS-A878 3 1/2 Inch 2-Way Speakers: Car Electronics

I've got some on order, so we'll see how they mount up and sound. Pioneer should be good enough for that location.
I'll post pics back in this thread of the mounting and running of the wires.

I've got that hatch panel off and alas, there are no wires ready to accept the speakers. However, there are two wire bundles that run down either side of the hatch into the roof. Each one has plenty of room for more wires, too. The metal fasteners are a bit of a pain, but the panel does come off. To put it all back on, you might need to bend back some of the tabs with needlenose pliers.

It looks like these speakers will work perfectly with the mounting tabs:
Amazon.com: Pioneer TS-A878 3 1/2 Inch 2-Way Speakers: Car Electronics

I've got some on order, so we'll see how they mount up and sound. Pioneer should be good enough for that location.
I'll post pics back in this thread of the mounting and running of the wires.

Thanks for taking the time and effort! I look forward to your update.

When you get the project rolling, please provide us details. i.e.: Where are you putting the amp? I assume that you will be feeding of of the rear speaker leads? Mounting the unit in the trunk? Looking forward to seeing what you do. What does it feel like being either an inspiration or warning to others? Ha!

When our kids are in the back, it's when we are on longer road trips, otherwise they tend to prefer their car seats in the second row so they can see out the windows. If anything, they tend to ask that we turn the music down so they can hear the movie on the ipad.

where I'd really like more speakers, even with the sound upgrade is in the mid range, placed in the back doors to help create a more true fade effect, allowing the driver to center the music without loosing so much fidelity.

Yes, I intend on feeding the amp from the rear speaker feeds. Once it's all done, I'll adjust the gain on the amp so it will match the volume (or maybe a little less) than the rear speakers. And yes, I do intend on sharing just how I'm putting these two little speakers in the hatch. It might not seem like a big deal, but I'm fine being the pioneer (pun intended) on this one.

First of all, turn off Dolby Surround (on the same panel where you can adjust Tone and Fade/Balance). Dolby Surround is optimized for the best sound experience in the front seats and does not work at all for passengers in the back. You may find that without Dolby Surround, the experience is actually acceptable without the need to add more speakers in the back.

First of all, turn off Dolby Surround (on the same panel where you can adjust Tone and Fade/Balance). Dolby Surround is optimized for the best sound experience in the front seats and does not work at all for passengers in the back. You may find that without Dolby Surround, the experience is actually acceptable without the need to add more speakers in the back.

I believe without the Premium Sound package, there will be no Dolby Surround feature.

Last edited: