Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Galaxy Gear App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw today that there is now a Samsung Galaxy Gear app for the BMW I3 - BMW i3 and the Samsung Galaxy Gear . Given that members have already reverse engineered the Model S REST api, it doesn't seem like it would be too hard to write one for the Model S as well. So I spent last few hours hacking away. At this point it is purely a quick and non-functional mockup which was side-loaded on to the Gear but I am hoping I can turn it into a fully functional app over time.

Here is a picture of the app so far. Any other Android developers interested in collaborating, especially anyone with Galaxy Gear experience? They haven't released the official API to the public yet so that will most likely be the biggest hurdle getting a functional app.
2014-01-07 23.08.36.jpg

Attachments

• 2014-01-07 23.08.36.jpg
    2014-01-07 23.08.36.jpg
    430 KB · Views: 871
I now have the basic functionality working. It can now connect to the car and get the charge info, control the horns, door, and lights, but I still need to do a some more work on displaying various statuses and updating the car image with proper color and features. I will try to post an updated video later today. However, to make it work, I had jailbreak the Gear and load up a non-OEM rom image null_ / SAMSUNG GALAXY GEAR ROM / OFFICIAL WEBSITE. The good news is that the NULL rom enables the full functionality of the Gear including bluetooth tethering and that opens it up to be used with any phone that supports that feature, including the iphone. The bad news is that you really have to have some technical know-how to get this setup working.

Here is a video showing the latest update and apologies for crappy video quality. PM me for the .apk file if you are adventurous and want to try it out.
If you listen carefully, you can hear the car honking in the background. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a video showing the latest update and apologies for crappy video quality. PM me for the .apk file if you are adventurous and want to try it out.
If you listen carefully, you can hear the car honking in the background. :)
Hi Gicho, it's great what you're doing. Will it also work on the Google G Watch by LG?
I'm willing to UAT it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Pebble watch, and there is an app with the same functionality for controlling your Tesla as this one. The downside is the Pebble is monochrome, and the Gear simply looks way better. Hopefully Samsung can get the battery life to exceed one day in the near future!