Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Factory Visit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My S-85 will be available in late Feb. I live in Florida and have an upcoming trip to CA in Feb second week. I am thinking to visit Tesla factory if they allow trips. Does any one know if they do it? I briefly went to their website and it was saying that public tours not available. I am not sure if prospective owner tour is available. I have asked them as well but it takes two days to respond.
Cheers,
Amit

Call your local gallery. Or service center. If your purchased your car from a gallery call them and ask them to help you set this up. Since you have confirmed your order they will set it up for you. We took delivery on 11/15 and took a factory tour on 10/21 when we were in California on vacation. I received an email from someone at the. Factory and he set everything up for me and even vent the rules a bit on my daughters height (she was an inch to short) so we wouldn't miss it. And I'm so glad we didn't such an amazing factory!!

My visit went well on 13-Feb. It is indeed an amazing factory. So impressive to see how Kuka robots make more than 50% of the car. Whole car gets assembled in 3-4 days. Most time is taken in painting. One other interesting thing was that before shipping cars to EU they disassemble (take out the tire) which is assembled back in EU to get some tax credits there. They bought the factory which is valued at more than a Billion Dollar at just 40 m dollars. Staff there was so friendly. I hope you can see the below pictures.
https://www.facebook.com/amit.baranwal.587/posts/729194893779560
Too bad they don't allow pictures inside the factory. I told them that they are missing a huge free PR opportunity and they agreed and said they are working on it.
Looking forward to 10-Mar for the car.

My visit went well on 13-Feb. It is indeed an amazing factory. So impressive to see how Kuka robots make more than 50% of the car. Whole car gets assembled in 3-4 days. Most time is taken in painting. One other interesting thing was that before shipping cars to EU they disassemble (take out the tire) which is assembled back in EU to get some tax credits there. They bought the factory which is valued at more than a Billion Dollar at just 40 m dollars. Staff there was so friendly. I hope you can see the below pictures.
https://www.facebook.com/amit.baranwal.587/posts/729194893779560
Too bad they don't allow pictures inside the factory. I told them that they are missing a huge free PR opportunity and they agreed and said they are working on it.
Looking forward to 10-Mar for the car.

So there is supposed to be a sign that says how many they are currently building per day, any chance you got a glimpse at the sign to provide an update on that part of production?

So there is supposed to be a sign that says how many they are currently building per day, any chance you got a glimpse at the sign to provide an update on that part of production?

I did visit the Factory in late-January and really enjoyed it! I saw that sign, but, like any one that visited the factory, there is a strict no-pics and non-disclosure agreement of proprietary information for 90 days after the visit.

I will be visiting California October 19-27, staying about 30 minutes from Fremont. If anyone is expecting delivery in that window and is planning on a factory tour, I would love the opportunity to tag along as a guest! It would definitely turn my vacation up to 11! :biggrin:

This is a great description of a very recent tour in November 2014 on BLDGBLOG
Here are a few great quotes from the blog,

"The coolest thing about a tour of the Tesla factory out in Fremont, California, is the huge metal-stamping machine—a behemoth piece of equipment that applies more than five thousand tons of pressure in order to mold metal parts in an instant. "
"
The instantaneous hydraulic detonation of what sounds like a chord thus rings out from this infernal musical instrument, augmented by the foot-shuddering bass of the stamp itself, which sends small earthquakes rolling out through the floor."
"The idea behind the tour was not only to see robots at work but to experience the spatial logic of a factory, its interior the size of 80 football fields broken down into sequential functions and clusters, with color-coded circulation diagrams painted directly onto the concrete floor. "
"You see "laser-calibration trees," or knobby poles branching with small geometric ornaments; they are used by laser-scanners for re-booting themselves after measuring the frames of new cars. "
"At the very end of the process, you see massive, Japanese-made robots lifting entire finished Teslas overhead as if they're feathers. Each machine has been named by Elon Musk after X-Men characters: there is Thunderbird and Cyclops, Storm and Colossus, Xavier, Changeling, Ice Man, Wolverine, and Angel. "
"
At one point, our tour guide gestured out at literally dozens—perhaps hundreds—of new robots still under plastic wrap, all awaiting training and installation. The factory is expanding dramatically as Tesla gears up for the release of theirnew SUV.

We have "an army of robots under plastic," the guide said enthusiastically, and he laughed. If there's ever a robot uprising, he joked, this is probably not the best place to be."

http://bldgblog.blogspot.com/2014/11/amongst-machines-visit-to-tesla-factory.html