Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just got word for my January 22nd delivery in Villa Park (IL)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After 3 long, painful months I will finally get my MS. Now I just need to prioritize all the other things I'll be needing. Given our current weather, my first acquisition were Weathertech floor liners!
That is exciting. I picked up mine in Villa Park 8 days ago.Great delivery service by Andrew. Car looked spectacular. You know what the weather has been like the las t6.5 of those 8 days here in Chicagoland. The car has performed spectacularly well in snow and extreme cold - it just doesn't look as clean.

1) I went with Lloyd thick pile carpet mats from Autoanything (following suggestions on this forum). I have now also ordered a couple of the rubber mats to use just in the winter for the snow, slush, snirt and salt. 2) I traded in (free) my iPass for the license plate version which the Tesla guys fitted inside the nose cone free of charge. Works perfectly and no ugly iPass in the windshield.

Good luck on Jan 22 and enjoy.

Get the weather floor mats from Tesla. They are the weathertechs and $50 cheaper.

I already ordered the mats. I'm planning on bringing them with me to the delivery!

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Colin - that's great news. I'm going to run out to the IDOT in Downers Grove and get the fender mounted one. Thanks for the heads up about having Tesla do the install.

I bought the weathertech mats, and will hold off to see what the OEM mats look like from Tesla. I guess I really don't have to worry about them until spring. Are you planning on getting opticoat for your car? Based on what I've been reading, I'm thinking about having it done at Chicago Auto Pros in Glen Ellyn. The one other thing I'm thinking of doing pretty quickly is getting Alloy Gators to protect the rims. The rims on my current car are all torn up and from what I've heard, the width of the S makes it even more susceptible to this type of thing.

I already ordered the mats. I'm planning on bringing them with me to the delivery!

Colin - that's great news. I'm going to run out to the IDOT in Downers Grove and get the fender mounted one. Thanks for the heads up about having Tesla do the install.

I bought the weathertech mats, and will hold off to see what the OEM mats look like from Tesla. I guess I really don't have to worry about them until spring. Are you planning on getting opticoat for your car? Based on what I've been reading, I'm thinking about having it done at Chicago Auto Pros in Glen Ellyn. The one other thing I'm thinking of doing pretty quickly is getting Alloy Gators to protect the rims. The rims on my current car are all torn up and from what I've heard, the width of the S makes it even more susceptible to this type of thing.
As your date gets close you must be getting pretty excited, JJR. I have been away on business for 4 days and already I am missing my Model S - oh and my family too. :wink:

I decided not to get the Opticoat or the wheel protectors. I have always been slow to get add on products like this - even though I baby and look after my cars for years. My Audi A4 that I sold 2 weeks ago looked great and I had had it for 197,000 miles and 12 years to the day. Having said that, I will listen to yours and other people's advice. I have picked out a close and convenient hand car wash place about a mile from me and will make regular trips to them starting tomorrow. Auto brush-based car washes I think have two issues - scratches and the risk of rim damage given the car's width. Of course hand-washing at home is simply not an option for several months where we live.

By the way, I did not think to get my transponder installed by the Villa Park service center when I picked up the car. Had it done a couple of days later at the new Highland Park service center. They went out of their way to be helpful. Two things are needed to install it. First some double sided velcro tape and second some really long zip ties. I didn't think of the zip ties, but the service guy had some and secured the transponder securely. I am sure the Villa Park guys can do the same for you.

One more thing you need to decide on is your front license plate. Andrew will ask if you want him to drill holes in your nose cone to attach the holder - that is the default. I elected not to do that. I would hate to ruin my nose cone and also don't want the license plate up high in the middle of the cone - awful aesthetically. When my plates arrive in 2 months, I plan to attach them using one of the several alternatives you will find on this forum. The one I am planning on using is the J-bolt option (Tesla Model S Front Plate - YouTube).

Good luck.

Colin - you are absolutely right about being excited. I've got 11 days, 7 hours and 18 minutes until the delivery (give or take). Thanks for the advance about bringing IPAS mounting materials to the delivery, I never would have thought of that. I think that I'm going to ask the SC to hold off on drilling the license plate holders as well. I guess I can always take it back to them or do it myself if I don't end up doing something like what you're talking about. I remember seeing a post on the set-up you're planning to use.

My dashboard was still showing "sourcing parts" until yesterday. I was beginning to worry that the delivery on the 22nd was going to be a huge pile of parts! I guess I willed it to change because it finally switched to "in production" yesterday. It amazes me that they will be able to build it, paint it, and ship it half way across the country in 12 days.

Thanks for the encouraging words and hope to see you around when I'm out driving around for no real reason - but being really happy doing it!!!

2 days, JJR. Not that you're counting. Just thought I would remind you so that you didn't forget your appointment on Wednesday.

:biggrin:

Colin, too funny! I did get some really frustrating news today though. I emailed the SC to see what was going on with the car because my dashboard still shows "in production" but a delivery date of "Wed the 22nd at 7". I was wondering how they could get it here so quickly (next day FedEx?). Apparently they can't! The SC emailed me back with the "good news" that my car was "now officially in production". I guess this is different than the fake status of "in production" that has been showing on my dashboard since the 10th. :cursing: Based on this new news, my delivery date is changed to NEXT Wednesday. I wonder if/when they would have let me know about the changed delivery date if I hadn't checked with them? Something tells me it would have quite awkward if I showed up Wednesday night looking to pick up my car only to find it wasn't even off the production line in CA! Argh!!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Congrats both of you ... two more S's to enhance the Chicago skyline!

And you are both invited to come join us at our next event ...

Thanks Sp4rk! That would be fun.

Congrats both of you ... two more S's to enhance the Chicago skyline!

And you are both invited to come join us at our next event ...

Great, look forward to joining one of these events. How frequently do you have them? Any idea when the next one will be?

- - - Updated - - -

Based on this new news, my delivery date is changed to NEXT Wednesday.

JJR - sorry to hear that. That is disappointing to you I am sure. Even more - it is very disappointing that they did not call and tell you this. Attention to this kind of detail and managing customer expectations is really important. They could not have just found out. Hope the next 9 days don't seem interminable now.

Delayed delivery again :scared:. I guess they had a few Ps that needed to be made so they just bumped me back a few more days!

:scared: If it is any consolation, maybe we will have warmer temperatures, less snow and drier roads by the time you get your car. On the other hand, my car is performing wonderfully in both the cold and the snow. The only real modification I make is when the road surface is really slippery (only happened twice since I got the car - 24 days) I change the regen to low instead of standard. The reason is that if you lift of the accelerator and invoke maximum regen, you can get a bit of fishtailing. Good luck with learning and practicing patience. :wink:

I got it! My delivery was Saturday night and the car is awesome. I didn't take photos at the delivery and now the car is trashed due to the weather we're having here in Chicago. Once I get the car cleaned up I'll post some pics - that is if I ever find the time to quit playing with my new toy!

Congrats!
OH Congrats, JJR! I think I know how you feel. I am exactly a month ahead of you and still looking for excuses to run errands just to get to drive it some more. Hating the fact that in a matter of minutes the car looks trashed, but this lousy winter can't last forever (I hope). Hope it all worked out well and they got the transponder fitted in the nose cone for you OK.

It took me a couple of weeks to find the time to get the car clean and have the camera ready at the same time. The last few weeks here around Chicago have not been overly conducive to good auto photo shoots.

IMG_3443.JPG
IMG_3450.JPG
IMG_3439.JPG