Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla and AT&T Multi-Year Car Connectivity Agreement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
sure wish they'd go with Verizon so we'd get coverage in remote parts of the state... the only reason I ended up on AT&T was to get the original iphone, the data and phone service got dropped a lot. since switching back to verizon, the service has been virtually uninterrupted and great all the way around.

sure wish they'd go with Verizon so we'd get coverage in remote parts of the state... the only reason I ended up on AT&T was to get the original iphone, the data and phone service got dropped a lot. since switching back to verizon, the service has been virtually uninterrupted and great all the way around.

It's pretty lame that we don't get to choose our provider. But perhaps Tesla will be able to negotiate a really sweet deal for us with AT&T. (I'm not holding my breath.)

Yes this isn't "new" but it is a new contract... So they might have changed the pricing and the plans and such to better lock in what they will do when they inevitably start charging for the service to the customers (you and I).

It's pretty lame that we don't get to choose our provider. But perhaps Tesla will be able to negotiate a really sweet deal for us with AT&T. (I'm not holding my breath.)

I'm sure someday someone will look to hack their device to see if they can swap the cards in the car and force it over to verizon. Especially when they charge people for the service.

Lucky AT&T. First the iPhone/iPad, now the Model S/Model X.

In practicality, I don't even use the GPS that much -- only if I am going on a road trip to somewhere unfamiliar, and I don't have the time to look up anything about the location. Having a web browser in the car is nice... but again something I rarely bother to use in practice. Not something I would pay $15/month, and possibly on a c:rolleyes:ntract.

Even without the data plan, I would still get the Tech package.. it's not just about the nav usage.

Last edited:
If you last used AT&T with a 3G radio you will be pleasantly surprised by their 4G coverage. I find it superior to Verizon here in NorCal. 3G however is terrible. I realize that doesn't help us w/ MS's but will help future owners.

The problem Tesla will have with ATT is their horrible coverage. If you take a drive anywhere out of metropolitan areas using superchargers, there will be no coverage. Not many will pay for that kind of service.

The problem Tesla will have with ATT is their horrible coverage. If you take a drive anywhere out of metropolitan areas using superchargers, there will be no coverage. Not many will pay for that kind of service.
I'd pay anything to avoid ATT. Use Verizon now. ATT is stuck in the 1980's. If they negotiated a cheap contract, you know ATT will have skimped. We should have a choice. The car isn't cheap, I feel like Tesla is selling us out.

The month they start charging for AT&T 3G/4G in my car is the time I get a USB powered Verizon 4G LTE WiFi hot spot. I'll use that until we can figure out a way to hack/change the cell radio in the dash. It's killing me inside to not have already torn that thing apart to see the guts. I bet it's something as simple as a USB dongle that snaps into the motherboard. A boy can dream ;)

The month they start charging for AT&T 3G/4G in my car is the time I get a USB powered Verizon 4G LTE WiFi hot spot. I'll use that until we can figure out a way to hack/change the cell radio in the dash. It's killing me inside to not have already torn that thing apart to see the guts. I bet it's something as simple as a USB dongle that snaps into the motherboard. A boy can dream ;)

Given that they are using NVidia stuff inside (mobile platform) I would be willing to bet it is a low profile daughter board like it is in laptops. But it is also entirely possible that it is actually built into the main board itself which would mean no upgrade path at all.

Edit: If it is a card like this (which would not surprise me at all) then it would just be a matter of switching it out and activating the service
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...T&cid=262077&lid=4742363&acd=1230980731501410

Even if you could swap it out, the Tesla software could have code like this:

if (wifi == false && IsAttIpAddress(ipAddress) == false) {
Display "invalid data path";
return;
}

Where they have a way of detecting if it's on the ATT network or not and they have protection around it.

In Los Angeles the ATT network is pretty good now. I had maybe 2 dropped calls in 2013.