Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging options in Sherbrooke

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I need to do a day trip to Sherbrooke tomorrow and am looking for charging options as I am pretty sure I won't be able to make it there and back from Laval without charging somewhere. I have done this trip in one charge before but that was in warmer weather.

I was hoping to make use of the SCH charger slated for Sherbrooke but it has been listed as pending installation for almost a year now so currently the plan is to make use of one of the Circuit électrique chargers to get enough charge to get me to the 90A SCH charger in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu on the way home but that could be a long charge time as the CE chargers are only 30A and the winter weather consumption numbers suggest that I could get as bad as 50% of rated range and I should probably plan for the worst case scenario.
My other option would be to charge at SJsR going down as well as coming back and hope that would be enough.
Any other suggestions?

It would probably be best to top up at SJsR on the way there. Your total charging time will be minimized. If you can do 30A while you're there it will save a little extra time, but I certainly wouldn't bother waiting for it.

I need to do a day trip to Sherbrooke tomorrow and am looking for charging options as I am pretty sure I won't be able to make it there and back from Laval without charging somewhere. I have done this trip in one charge before but that was in warmer weather.

I was hoping to make use of the SCH charger slated for Sherbrooke but it has been listed as pending installation for almost a year now so currently the plan is to make use of one of the Circuit électrique chargers to get enough charge to get me to the 90A SCH charger in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu on the way home but that could be a long charge time as the CE chargers are only 30A and the winter weather consumption numbers suggest that I could get as bad as 50% of rated range and I should probably plan for the worst case scenario.
My other option would be to charge at SJsR going down as well as coming back and hope that would be enough.
Any other suggestions?

A full charge from the south shore is just enough with 0 margin at current temperature (I did it) so you absolutely need some power like you said. There is no "real" charger except the the SCH in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu... You can use mine too in Candiac for a slightly faster charge (HPWC @ 80A) I'm on plugshare. Otherwise you've got some 30A Circuit Electrique in Sherbrooke, just make sure to not heat the cabin at the same time... I used the 30A chargers at the CHUS hospital and at the parking lot downtown. Also there is a 30A in Bromont also on plugshare... Its not very convenient right now...

The townships are a bit of a black hole in terms of decent charging.

One of the hotels in Bromont, halfway to Sherbrooke, would make a fantastic place for a SCH charger (the Saint-Martin is right next to the highway, unlike Chateau Bromont).

I should get Slyastro on the scent given his recent spate of successful charger openings. :smile:

Thanks all for your suggestions.

Current plan is that I will use the SCH in SJsR both ways and use a Circuit Electrique EVSE in Sherbrooke to ensure I have enough with buffer plus to prewarm the batteries before heading back.
I think the battery warming is important enough to ensure that I don't use extra energy during the trip (my energy usage is always better when it is pre-warmed).
I should have a good idea of the SOC (+ buffer) I will need to make it back to SJsR once I get to Sherbrooke. Just have to remind myself to set the car to "range mode" heating once I have finished pre-warming her.

Does anybody know which of the CE stations in Sherbrooke is the most convenient or has a decent restaurant close by?

Kalud, I appreciate the offer but if it is longer to Sherbrooke from your house I will stick with the SCH EVSE as the difference in distance might mean a much longer wait before the return from Sherbrooke.

- - - Updated - - -

The townships are a bit of a black hole in terms of decent charging.

One of the hotels in Bromont, halfway to Sherbrooke, would make a fantastic place for a SCH charger (the Saint-Martin is right next to the highway, unlike Chateau Bromont).

I should get Slyastro on the scent given his recent spate of successful charger openings. :smile:

That is an excellent idea. A decent EVSE in Bromont would have made this planning a lot simpler ...

My wife convinced me to take her car for the day ...

Sadly in the end I had to agree with her after working out that the round trip from SJsR to/from Sherbrooke was ~300km and if I got anything worse than 70% of rated range (and that is with no buffer) I would be waiting a few hours charging at 30A before being able to come back.

Problem was that I couldn't predict what range I would get with the possible conditions being nasty cold temps and winds gusting up to 40 km. If I get a tail wind that is great but the opposite would have killed my range. As it ended up the roads were clear and the temperature was not too bad but I still can't say how the winds would have affected the ride as I have never driven my wife's car before.

We used the J1772 in downtown Sherbrooke as well, just a few weeks before the SC in Drummondville opened. We were driving on a ski trip from Quebec City, QC to Mt Washington, NH (using the 14-50 there). Sherbrooke was the best place for charging up 3-4 hours. The EV charger worked fine, and we enjoyed the nature museum and a day spa, and the town offered lots of shopping and a nice choice of restaurants while we charged up.

I have to make two trips to Sherbrooke this summer for water ski tournaments. I think the ski site is right in the middle of town, near the Circuit Electrique charger.

Do I need to get a membership card ahead of time?

As a backup (or maybe plan A), I made a reservation the hotel in Granby (St. Christophe) as they assured me their HPWC and SCH chargers will be working soon. Also heard one of their owners/managers (?) is getting is Model S soon.

If a hotel installs a HPWC, I like to give them my business.

There is an hourly parking fee at the J1771 in Sherbrooke. Also, there is only one plug, but it gives you 21 mph. I don't recall that the Circuit Electrique charging station takes other cards as Chargepoint does. Circuit Electrique card gives you access to most J1772 charging locations in Quebec that you may need, including more than a half'dozen in Sherbrooke alone. When we ordered our card it arrived in the US in just a few days. I also encourage use of the hotel destination HPWC chargers. We used one in Quebec City. Good luck in your water skiing event ...

I did the trip to Sherbrooke. This is by far my longest road trip so far in the Model S. It's quite remarkable how well it worked. I used the Kingston and Cornwall superchargers. I'm still impressed with how fast they charge. Each time I took a normal break from driving and had plenty of charge when I was ready to go.

The Circuit Electrique charges worked well as destination chargers. At $2.50 for an overnight charge, I can't complain. I ordered their membership card ahead of time and it came in a couple of days.