Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Syracuse, NY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed. Many of the dots are misplaced. Notice NJ. I think the active dot in the middle of Jersey us JFK and the dot at the western end of LI is Syosset.

Anyone have any word on a syracuse supercharger? Scent has gone awfully cold... It is listed as 2014 but not soon anymore... Feels like last year when there was a lot of work to do to hit the 2013 goals with a few months to go.. they got close.. we have 4 months to go and a lot of SC's to build... fingers crossed...

I second that. This supercharger will allow western NY folks to more easily get to Albany, especially in the winter. That stretch of the Thruway from Rochester to Albany, especially east of Syracuse is hilly and frequently snowy, and I'm sure energy use will skyrocket. There is the Best Western Sun Country charger in Syracuse that I would use for this purpose, but it is not a Supercharger. Eagerly awaiting the Syracuse build.

Supercharger.info doesn't even show a permit, doesn't look like 2014 target is gonna happen either (revised from 2013).

This one is particularly painful. I am not sure if the squeeky wheel gets the grease but i reached out to Tesla this week and they are still holding on to the 2014 target (with ~45 days to go i might add).

This is what they wrote on 11/6/2014

Thank you for your email and feedback. We are actively working to bring a Supercharger to that area(Syracuse) around the end of 2014.
Our experience with delays through all phases of the deployment process has led to our approach of communicating firm timing only when we are sure a specific site will be ready for our owners to use.

Keep checking our website for new site announcements. We appreciate your enthusiasm and support in Tesla and our Supercharger technology.

Supercharger.info doesn't even show a permit, doesn't look like 2014 target is gonna happen either (revised from 2013).

Sgt Barone relayed a report from RonaldA of the TM forum, who was at the town hall meeting for the supercharger in Clarence (Buffalo), NY and talked to Tesla personnel:

I was told the permitting for the Syracuse charger would be relatively soon (w/in a couple of weeks) and they anticipate that charger to be installed "soon". I asked if this was a Tesla soon or the real definition of soon and the assured me it was a real soon probably in January if all goes well.

As i type this i'm sitting in a very pleasant coffeeshop in the lovely Village of Liverpool, 4 miles from the NYS Thruway, while i juice up at the Chargepoint/NationalGrid 30Amp charger located in the Nicholls Stores parking lot (327 1st St, Liverpool, New York, United States, 13088). It's no Supercharger, but it's better than pushing the S to Albany! Anybody know where Tesla is looking to install? I'd guess the Destiny USA site, but i would love it if they put it in Liverpool - great local shops and restaurants, easy access, etc.

As i type this i'm sitting in a very pleasant coffeeshop in the lovely Village of Liverpool, 4 miles from the NYS Thruway, while i juice up at the Chargepoint/NationalGrid 30Amp charger located in the Nicholls Stores parking lot (327 1st St, Liverpool, New York, United States, 13088). It's no Supercharger, but it's better than pushing the S to Albany! Anybody know where Tesla is looking to install? I'd guess the Destiny USA site, but i would love it if they put it in Liverpool - great local shops and restaurants, easy access, etc.

Have you tried the 72A J1772 at the Best Western? I hope you have dual chargers; even without dual chargers, 40A is better than 30A.

Best Western Plus Carrier Circle in Syracuse
6555 Old Collamer Rd. S.
East Syracuse, New York 13057

Enjoy your drive!

So in August my wife and I charged at Colonie ( Albany) to a full range charge and drove to my Daughters East of Rochester, NY . The trip is 211 miles. We arrived with 23 miles, driving 70 mph.
Last night with the addition of our Golden Retriever and my college age grandaughter we left Colonie with 258 rated miles. Temperature was 28 degrees. I quickly watched my mileage buffer disappear. Climate control off, slowed down and started driving by limiting the power output. I realized even my mitigation strategies were not going to cut it. We called ahead and were able to use the Best Western charger. We only have the10kw charger but it still added 30 miles in about an hour. Drove the remaining 82 miles at 65 but still with Climate off. With four bodies in the car it wasn't too bad. Arrived with 24 Rated remaining.
I'll look forward to Syracuse or Utica!

I had a similar experience yesterday when we went round trip Buffalo to Rochester (160 miles) and saw 215 miles of range consumed. Seems we have to recalibrate for the winter. Energy usage seems to up 25-40% compared to the summer. The Tesla SC map now no longer shows Syracuse, Buffalo, and Itaca(?) as, "2014" and now shows Buffalo, Syracuse, Utica(?), and Erie, PA as, "Coming Soon"! @015 may be a very good year for SuperChargers!

- - - Updated - - -

That's Ithaca and 2015!

You get about 70% of the range in (below-freezing, snowy) winter that you do in summer. I've torture-tested this by driving through an ice storm (not planned!).

It gets much, much worse if your wheel sells get gunked up, in which case you have to get out and clean them. But basically you can rely on 70%, if you're willing to clean your wheel wells intermittently. This means a "range charge" range in an 85kW should get you 185 miles (I wouldn't plan on more than 180, because it starts beeping at you if you get near zero).

On another note, anyone in central, western, or northern New York should get the dual chargers; Sun Country Highway has a very extensive network of high-amp chargers in Canada and are moving in on the border areas of US. It gives you a lot of extra options if you're heading in a Canadian direction.