Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Cranberry, PA (NW of Pittsburgh)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JakeP

S P4996 ==> P02547
Apr 27, 2012
Bradfordwoods, PA
Hi All-

I have been told by the Cranberry Township Zoning and Permits staff that Tesla has completed two applications for a Supercharger location near the I-76 and I-79 interchange. They have not decided which location will be used as yet, though the decision is expected very soon (likely dependent on landowner lease requirements, etc,).

Both potential sites are on Rt 228 and Freedom Rd, on either side of Rt 19.

The first is near the Residence Inn, adjacent to Quaker Steak and Lube (local wings chain) and also walking distance to Primanti Brothers, another local eatery where they serve sandwiches with fries and coleslaw as layers inside the sandwich. Must be eaten to be believed, but it is a Pittsburgh claim to fame, so to speak.

Residence Inn, Cranberry TWP - Google Maps

The second potential location is on the eastern side of Rt 19, in a shopping plaza with Target and Lowes. The SC would be located near McDonalds and Starbucks, as well as a Philly Pretzel and a Hot Dog/Malt shop. Across Rt 228 is another series of restaurants including Chick-Fil-A, On the Border, Smokey Bones and a nice Asian Fusion place called Jimmy Wan's Taipei.

Cranberry Commons, Pennsylvania 228, Cranberry Township, PA - Google Maps

I will update the thread when the final decision is made!

Last edited:
Cranberry Commons would be the clear choice if available. Freedom Road gets extremely congested, and there is a much better selection in restaurants and shops in the Cranberry Commons area than the Freedom Road area.

Macedonia, OH is on 80. But you are correct, they need another one on I-80 east of there, and I wonder if Clearfield is too far? Grove City Outlets would be a perfect spot, just below I-79 and I-80. But one is needed on I-79 and I-90 in Erie, also.

- - - Updated - - -

Cranberry Commons would be the clear choice if available. Freedom Road gets extremely congested, and there is a much better selection in restaurants and shops in the Cranberry Commons area than the Freedom Road area.

100% true on both counts.

Cranberry will be 437km away from me, (270 miles). It almost enables some roadtrips. :)

Can someone tell me why Tesla has no plans for an Erie, PA supercharger????? Having one there would actually allow me (and everyone else in Southern Ontario) to be able to reach the Cranberry SC. I know others have mentioned Erie as being important as well. At least there are plans for a Buffalo, NY supercharger. Buffalo and Clearfield, PA will make roadtrips (in the SE direction) easy for me. Those 2 can't come soon enough (along with SC's in Ontario).

Is there a discounted toll for EVs on the Pennsylvania Tpk/I-76?

No discounted EZ-Pass or Tolls on the PA Turnpike for EVs, as far as I know.

MNX, I thoroughly agree that Erie, PA remains one of the most glaring gaps in the NE, as well as coverage on lovely and scenic I-86 through Upstate NY's Southern Tier. I can only hope that Tesla will cover this route someday. In the meantime, I have told them this using this link from their Supercharger page. I only wish I had a piece of property in Erie to offer them!

Supercharging

Just a couple pics to save everyone else the trouble of looking it up.
The first picture you can see I-76 (Turnpike) and I-79 interchange. The Residence Inn is marked-- but also to the right side of the picture you can see where the alternate location was that Tesla permitted.

In the other two images you can get an idea of the immediate amenities in addition to the hotel: Starbucks, Quaker Steak & Lube, Sports Grille Cranberry and a Primanti's (an unpleasant but short walk away).

1308 Freedom Rd - Google Maps - Google Chrome 182014 53907 PM.bmp.jpg
1308 Freedom Rd - Google Maps - Google Chrome 182014 53716 PM.bmp.jpg
1308 Freedom Rd - Google Maps - Google Chrome 182014 53721 PM.bmp.jpg

JakeP must be busy cleaning the dirt off Tess.

We just made a recon run up to Cranberry location.
Supercharger location confirmed with hotel manager there (she's very nice and enthusiastic about Tesla coming there).

The SC spaces will be on the Southwest corner of the Residence Inn property -- you can see a lone silver sedan parked there in the satellite picture. I believe she said 6 slots.

Work has not started yet nor were there any signs of it starting soon other than our own speculation that they'll break ground any day now. I will be back in the neighborhood tomorrow and will update as necessary.
---------------
Additionally-- the manager said the hotel itself was undergoing a $3M renovation to raise it's level of amenities further (though it looked pretty nice and new already... and breakfast smelled terrific). She said "It'll be like a new hotel" and more enticing to "people who can afford that kind of car". I smiled to myself at that, 'cause I've stayed at some pretty crappy places even though I can afford that kind of car too. :wink:

Last edited:
It may not be much, but it's a start!

Cranberry, PA supercharger site now has cones, flags and white paint lines, and the Newkirk Electric trailer is parked nearby. I assume this is the very early stages of the level and grade for the site, probably marking off the area before getting PAOnecall/Digsafe utility markouts. If they start in earnest by next week, Cranberry should be energized by Valentine's Day.

Cranberry SpC 1.JPG
Cranberry SpC 2.JPG

Cranberry, PA Supercharger Location (NW of Pittsburgh)

Hope you're right about by Valentine's Day. There's at least one @TeslaRoadTrip "Supercharged traveler" planning to drive through there on February 15th on the way to DC. They are driving in from Chicago!

This is NOT Cranberry, PA so cannot be found on state maps/road atlases. Name should be changed to a Post Office, village, city, etc or just "I-79/I-76". Or "Warrendale, PA". The real Cranberry, PA is north of I-80 some 50 miles from this SC as the crow flies.
--

This is NOT Cranberry, PA so cannot be found on state maps/road atlases. Name should be changed to a Post Office, village, city, etc or just "I-79/I-76". Or "Warrendale, PA". The real Cranberry, PA is north of I-80 some 50 miles from this SC as the crow flies.
--

You are quite right, the correct name is Cranberry Township, but ironically, the other "Cranberry", to which you refer, is also "Cranberry Township." See Cranberry Township, Butler County, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, Cranberry Township, Venango County, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, and Cranberry Township, Pennsylvania (disambiguation).

Looks like it has been a major cross-roads since the early 19th century, over 200 years.

> ZIP Code - Post Office - Date Discontinued
> 16319 - CRANBERRY - 06/25/2011

Thus Cranberry, PA, Venango County (in oil country) had its own Post Office up until 2.5 years ago and it had its name (searchable) on my AAA Road Atlas ca 1989, with a real dot and name on the map.

So these fields and woods known locally over the centuries as 'Cranberry Township' are now being developed big time as they happened to be right where two Interstates intersect. Momentum will ensure that THIS Cranberry will become THE Cranberry so we all better become used to it. Wycolo yields to this juggernaut.

Btw, turns out that my nephew & family have long lived within 10 miles of this SC (you never know!).
--