Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Really cold tomorrow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here in Chicago the high is going to be -14 with -40 degree wind chill. Is it safe to park my model S outside tomorrow? Don't know that I have a choice but I'd probably be worried with an ICE as well.

Yes, but you'll most likely lose about 1 rated mile per hour while not plugged in so plan accordingly

I'd be more concerned with a ICE only car. Cold makes it slow to crank start.

After all where is some of the major sales of the Model S (and Roadster) - hint it is very cold there.

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/cold-weather-climate-testing-model-s

Cool thing for electrics is that the power steering is not affected as well (sluggish).

Even in my Volt the ICE will start easily because there is no "starter" per se but the big 'generator' motor is used to start the ICE and does so VERY quickly.

Just chiming in here to wonder how much I'll have to pay everyone NEVER TO MENTION WIND CHILL again in this forum. People - as others also correctly have stated: the concept of wind chill has zero bearing on the functioning of a piece of machinery or electronics.

/Rant off

Just chiming in here to wonder how much I'll have to pay everyone NEVER TO MENTION WIND CHILL again in this forum. People - as others also correctly have stated: the concept of wind chill has zero bearing on the functioning of a piece of machinery or electronics.

/Rant off

Sure, the vehicle cannot get colder than ambient due to wind chill, but it most certainly does cool down faster in high winds. So it does have an effect, albeit not as severe as the "wind chill" number would naively suggest.

/Rant off

Hey Tom Skilling, you can gladly pay me $100,000 to never mention "wind chill". But until then, I will "wind chill" all I want. I accept paypal and will even accept bitcoin if it is your fancy...

You will lose "regen", which makes the car behave completely differently, for example traveling along the highway at 65, take your foot of the accelerator, the Model S continues on it's way at 65, hardly slows down at all... Takes some getting used to. Here's my display on Friday, after the car was outside all day at 5 degrees F:

image.jpg

the Swedish news talk about really artic cold in large parts of the US. Up to -30.... sounds like a good test of batteries for cars parked outside. lets hope for below -30 for over 24 hours so we knowmhow Tesla plans to handle that... Bit concerned about that part of the warranty even though it was some years since we hade below -30 for longer periods in my area...

sorry I did mean -30 but wrote -20.... ;-)

Is that limitation only if the car is not plugged in? What about -30, but plugged in?

- - - Updated - - -

Wow! I've obviously seen the regen limited but never disabled. Did it come back? If so, how long (miles) did it take?

I've had it disabled due to the cold a few times now. Oddly, I don't always get the alert message.

regen came back, after about an hour of driving at highway speed, of course the "Battery is Heating" message was also on, once it came up in temperature the regen came back, at a small amount. the Regen disabled is tied to the batter temperature, cold soaked at -5F it was disabled for quite a while until the battery heating and driving restored some regen. I park the car in a garage at night, and its plugged in, so preheating the car in the morning also heats the battery, but then it sits outside for 9-10 hours in the cold, that's what happened Friday night..