Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UAVs/Phantom Vision 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dude! Do you have your own UAV or something?

Dude, for less than $500, you can carry your own own GoPro to new heights: DJI Phantom Quadcopter

I have a helicopter license, but flying this is not anything like flying a helicopter. It's just a video game within reality. :wink:

Attachments

• Phantom.JPG
    Phantom.JPG
    620.2 KB · Views: 821
My experience with cheaper, more toy quadcopters, is that keeping the darn thing stable is really hard. Trim levels have to be adjusted, if you do the wrong thing, it can flip out. Occasionally one motor will get stuck, etc. Is the DJI easy to control? Reliable? In windy conditions?

My experience with cheaper, more toy quadcopters, is that keeping the darn thing stable is really hard. Trim levels have to be adjusted, if you do the wrong thing, it can flip out. Occasionally one motor will get stuck, etc. Is the DJI easy to control? Reliable? In windy conditions?

All the new one's, even the one's in the $50 range have novice flying controls and self trimming and even safety features so you don't 'shoot yer eye out!'. Buy'em and fly'em while you can before the FAA steps in!

Yeah, it's really easy. I have the Phantom 2 Vision which comes with it's own camera and can do FPV. It keeps itself stable by using GPS, a compass and gyros. Just let go og the sticks and it just hovers, even in moderately strong winds.

I have the Phantom 2 Vision as well: it's super easy to fly and has a single-axis gimbal, shock mounted and stabilized in pitch, so the video is a little more stable than Cottonwood's. The ultimate party trick: you can shut off the transmitter and the Phantom 2 climbs to 20 meters, returns to the spot from which it took off, descends and lands, and shuts itself down, all automatically. It's a hoot and a half.

Apologies for hijacking the thread...

I have the Phantom 2 Vision as well: it's super easy to fly and has a single-axis gimbal, shock mounted and stabilized in pitch, so the video is a little more stable than Cottonwood's. The ultimate party trick: you can shut off the transmitter and the Phantom 2 climbs to 20 meters, returns to the spot from which it took off, descends and lands, and shuts itself down, all automatically. It's a hoot and a half.

Thanks for answering the Phantom questions. All answers are right on, except that the Phantom uses a electronic altimeter and 3-axis accelerometer, in addition to the electronic compass and 3-axis gyroscope to aide the GPS. Pretty amazing for under $500 retail!

The thread is only hijacked if the discussions go on for pages. :wink:

To bring the thread back on topic, this all started with my video, pictures, and discussions with the construction crew, showing that Cheyenne is coming on-line soon!

This will connect Colorado to the High Plains Five Island. The few missing links in Minnesota and Wisconsin area all in sight. It looks like Colorado MS owners will be able to drive on Superchargers to Indiana and beyond before the end of January. The other direction, Supercharger construction looks like it is also within weeks for us to make it to LA. The big missing link there is Holbrook, NM. That has, or should start soon, and an 85 owner could hop over the Holbrook Gap with a Supercharger Range Charge and some hypermiling (boring).

The Elon, coast-to-coast route should be done in February! :biggrin:

Thanks for the drone answers, all of you (I'd asked someone via PM about them some time back...). If any one you find yourself heading up to Alaska, bring yours and we'll have some fun..... :) Also: PM me for more info, regardless of whether you've any plans to head up :)

Thanks for answering the Phantom questions. All answers are right on, except that the Phantom uses a electronic altimeter and 3-axis accelerometer, in addition to the electronic compass and 3-axis gyroscope to aide the GPS. Pretty amazing for under $500 retail!

The thread is only hijacked if the discussions go on for pages. :wink:

It's definitely on-topic: people have to know how to make Supercharger construction spy videos.

I have the Phantom Vision 2 as well. It's great.

Um... Holbrook hasn't been in New Mexico since 1863. Where have you been for the last 150 years? :wink:

Sorry, of course, Holbrook, AZ! Still waiting for those first pics, though!!!

- - - Updated - - -

I have the Phantom Vision 2 as well. It's great.

The only advantages that I can see for the original Phantom is that it is cheaper if you already own a GoPro, and that the newer GoPro's will do video and simultaneous high res stills. The Phantom 2 will do video or stills, but not at the same time. The Phantom 2 gives you a live video feed, ability to control the camera in flight, longer flight time, and longer range.

- - - Updated - - -

The only advantages that I can see for the original Phantom is that it is cheaper if you already own a GoPro, and that the newer GoPro's will do video and simultaneous high res stills. The Phantom 2 will do video or stills, but not at the same time. The Phantom 2 gives you a live video feed, ability to control the camera in flight, longer flight time, and longer range.

Where di you purchase yours? To keep the thread 'on topic'. I need it to look for more new SCs on the east coast.

Where di you purchase yours? To keep the thread 'on topic'. I need it to look for more new SCs on the east coast.

Amazon.com: DJI Phantom Aerial UAV Drone Quadcopter for GoPro: Electronics

or

Amazon.com: DJI Phantom 2 Vision Quadcopter with Integrated FPV Camcorder (White): Electronics

Accessories like spare batteries and travel case are very useful. Watch the DJI videos and do a few "learning" flights in a nice open area on a calm day before you hear to the closest Supercharger site.

Happy surveying Superchargers, to stay on topic. :wink:

Next question: for whatever reason, despite knowing they'd be great for our kayak trips, we've not got ourselves to having picked up any GoPro or other such cameras. Given that, has anyone a suggestion as to what combination would work best with Phantoms - I see they are available with and without their own camera; with or w/o GoPro attachment, etc.

(am already thinking of what it could be like having a Phantom recording a kayak trip..... :rolleyes:

Next question: for whatever reason, despite knowing they'd be great for our kayak trips, we've not got ourselves to having picked up any GoPro or other such cameras. Given that, has anyone a suggestion as to what combination would work best with Phantoms - I see they are available with and without their own camera; with or w/o GoPro attachment, etc.

(am already thinking of what it could be like having a Phantom recording a kayak trip..... :rolleyes:
The GoPro was awesome on a recent scuba trip to Dominica and should be more fun with the quadcopter next time for scenic video . . . yes, I know that I can't take the quadcopter underwater!