Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla Model S comparison test in the Feb. 2014 Car and Driver

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if the link is online yet. I would guess it would be a few weeks before it might be since they would like you to buy the magazine like I did. I thought about scanning it and posting it, but I sort of think that would be unfair to the publisher and the employees whose job depends on magazine purchases. I figure all of us who are interested can shell out a fiver. Here's a teaser though:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2,619
It's almost more of an entertainment piece. Not so much of an educational one other than the sidebar about the plugshare network. I wish they would do a west or east coast run (once the SC rollout is done) on taking a Model S from one end to the other. I used a supercharger this week for the first time and it's as impressive as the model S in a way. I love this car.

That story was surprisingly light-hearted and even-handed, especially for C&D (which usually seems a little hostile to Tesla). The car magazines are in a tough place with Tesla. Since Tesla does not do any advertising, and the conventional auto makers do, I am sure they feel some pressure to either ignore Tesla or damn it with faint praise.

Last edited:
I agree that C&D and the other mags have little financial reason to praise the Tesla, but my hope is that there is integrity that overrides that. Those of us who have driven the Tesla know what a revolutionary car it is even compared to some admittedly excellent vehicles being made by well established automakers. I am a car nut and as much as I love many of the gasoline or diesel powered vehicles out there, the Tesla really does a "reset" on my gauge.
I think the terms "raising the bar" and "game changer" are very overused in general but they apply in this case.

The coverage of the Model S in the various enthusiast magazines has been overall very positive. Examples that stand out in my mind include the R&T article talking about an American car once again being an innovation leader, and the Car and Driver video review done by Csaba Csere.

It sounds like Tesla has a pretty limited press fleet, which may explain why there isn't more coverage of the car in the major rags (eg, in straight up comparison tests with similar ICE cars).

I am pretty sure that any of the major car magazines could get a fully loaded P85+ for a full test and review. I would love to see a typical "comparo" where they tested the Model S, the Porsche Panamera, the BMW M5, and an Audi S6. That would be quite interesting. The problem with the car-enthusiast magazines is that they will acknowledge some of the good points about the Tesla from a performance perspective, but then they seem to feel a need to bring up many of the tired anti-Tesla talking points that are typically flogged in the media (range anxiety, charging times, lack of charging infrastructure, high cost, etc.). They still don't seem to get it.

Its not just implied pressure from advertisers, but many readers don't seem to like positive stories about Tesla. Automobile magazine got pretty beat up by their readers for naming the Model S the Car of the Year. There seemed to be a sense of betrayal...

The coverage of the Model S in the various enthusiast magazines has been overall very positive. Examples that stand out in my mind include the R&T article talking about an American car once again being an innovation leader, and the Car and Driver video review done by Csaba Csere.

Yes, and also the Motor Trend magazine and Automobile magazine car of the year awards for the Model S.

And there's this Autocar (UK) video comparison of the Model S to the Aston Martin Rapide S
Video: Tesla Model S vs Aston Martin Rapide S Car Video | Autocar

The auto enthusiast press has been very positive about the Model S, even though Tesla doesn't give them money for advertising.

I am pretty sure that any of the major car magazines could get a fully loaded P85+ for a full test and review. I would love to see a typical "comparo" where they tested the Model S, the Porsche Panamera, the BMW M5, and an Audi S6. That would be quite interesting. The problem with the car-enthusiast magazines is that they will acknowledge some of the good points about the Tesla from a performance perspective, but then they seem to feel a need to bring up many of the tired anti-Tesla talking points that are typically flogged in the media (range anxiety, charging times, lack of charging infrastructure, high cost, etc.). They still don't seem to get it.

Its not just implied pressure from advertisers, but many readers don't seem to like positive stories about Tesla. Automobile magazine got pretty beat up by their readers for naming the Model S the Car of the Year. There seemed to be a sense of betrayal...

Those issues are all real. They need to be discussed. They aren't as big a deal as they are made out to be, but there's no getting around the fact that the Achilles heel of an electric car--even one with a battery the size of a P85--is range, charging times, and charging infrastructure.

Tesla is helping to solve that problem with the Superchargers. The C/D article mentioned them, though keep in mind it was written long before the recent push to get the trans-continental chargers done. It would be interesting to recreate the Detroit to Shoreham Park run today; with the chargers in Maumee, Macedonia, Somerset, and JFK, you could presumably do it a lot faster. But there's no doubt that even with the Superchargers, the major weakness of a Tesla compared to any of the other cars you list is that you have to more carefully plan your journeys and there are some places you just can't go unless you have a LOT of extra time on your hands.

Those of us who've bought them understand that, but it would be irresponsible for a magazine like C/D to downplay the importance of it. It's something you need to have your eyes open about before you buy the car, because if you don't it will lead to inevitable disappointment, anger and frustration--and that's not good for anyone.

I am pretty sure that any of the major car magazines could get a fully loaded P85+ for a full test and review.... The problem with the car-enthusiast magazines is that they will acknowledge some of the good points about the Tesla from a performance perspective, but then they seem to feel a need to bring up many of the tired anti-Tesla talking points that are typically flogged in the media (range anxiety, charging times, lack of charging infrastructure, high cost, etc.). They still don't seem to get it.

It's extremely difficult for the automotive press to get a car from Tesla. They've given a couple of publications a car – Motor Trend, Car & Driver – but the rest of us have been left to our own devices, ie, find an owner willing to loan one for a few hours. It's pretty ridiculous, really.

I would also argue that readers enjoy Tesla articles and, while there is often some controversy in the comments, people are well-enough informed now to refute any FUD that pops up.

Signed,
Still frickin' waiting.

It seems quite possible to rent a Tesla. Even Hertz offers them in some locations. Wouldn't that be a viable workaround, even if it took a trip to some particular locale?

It's extremely difficult for the automotive press to get a car from Tesla. They've given a couple of publications a car – Motor Trend, Car & Driver – but the rest of us have been left to our own devices, ie, find an owner willing to loan one for a few hours. It's pretty ridiculous, really.

I would also argue that readers enjoy Tesla articles and, while there is often some controversy in the comments, people are well-enough informed now to refute any FUD that pops up.

Signed,
Still frickin' waiting.

You are so right. The Boston Globe still hasn't reviewed the Model S which is pathetic. When asked their automobile reviews have stated they are still waiting for Tesla to provide them a car. Really!
This weekend they will complete the second half of their top 10 car reviews and the Model S likely won't even be mentioned. They have lost all credibility as far as I'm concerned. For heavens sake just sign up for a test drive or reach out to a local owner. I'm sure someone on this forum would be happy to help out.

Heck if it would further the cause I would totally loan out my 85 when I get it. The more "free press" tesla gets, the better, in my opinion. I wouldn't have a Performance one, which is really what they should test, but still... Give these people a car already! LOL!

PS. I live in Northern Virginia, and expect to have my car by the beginning of April, PM if interested.

Maybe Tesla is doing it on purpose to limit how much press gets published at once? This way the press would keep getting it a few at a time and keeps the story going. If everyone published their reviews all at once, it would lose momentum.