Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Mule 1 - Where it all Began!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla-mule-headlight-578x385.jpg

Article: http://www.iamknighted.com/articles/the-tesla-mule-1-where-it-all-began/

The text in that article (indeed, the whole site) desperately needs copy-editing, yikes.

Agreed. It reads like it was written by either a non-English speaker or a 4th grader.

Whut you be talked aboot? Eye phelt it wuz veery well ridden.

Hi guys,

Thanks for reading the article, well my article, on the Mule1. These comments were completely justified, since we accidentally uploaded the draft of this piece and not the finished article. Our bad, we are fixing it. It was a correct assumption that I am indeed not a native English speaker (As a matter of fact I'm Dutch), but that doesn't mean that I can be held to a lower standard.

So thanks to everyone for their constructive comments and the compliment by Vger, much appreciated!

Jurjen

Reactions: Mark77a
Hi guys,

Thanks for reading the article, well my article, on the Mule1. These comments were completely justified, since we accidentally uploaded the draft of this piece and not the finished article. Our bad, we are fixing it. It was a correct assumption that I am indeed not a native English speaker (As a matter of fact I'm Dutch), but that doesn't mean that I can be held to a lower standard.

So thanks to everyone for their constructive comments and the compliment by Vger, much appreciated!

Jurjen
Welcome to the forum! Your positive response to the ... less than kind ... critiques of your article is a breath of fresh air. Kudos!

Juries, welcome to the forum. I suspected the article was written by a non-native English speaker and I appreciate your efforts to correct the grammar and sentence construction. I freely admit I cannot write anything in Dutch without the assistance of Google Translate and even then the result would be terrible!

And I apologize if I inadvertently insulted you with my reference to 4th grade writing skills. :)

Thanks ecarfan for putting this article and pics together as well as for joining TMC! I'm more of a content person rather than a person critical of spelling and grammar myself, I've been around enough girls who were the same way and they enjoyed the sugar coating rather than the ingredients of my homemade deserts.

Looking forward in reading more Tesla articles coming from you!

This is early enough that Elon might not have been with Tesla yet. I remember Martin saying in a talk (TEG could find it) that he was the only one who was willing the cut up the new car they just bought.

Alignment knocked out of whack...
...As a treat... Rob said to walk over to the side of the garage..... we go into a separate bay of his garage and low and behold, its Tesla Roadster Mule 1!!! Mule 1 is the 1st Tesla Roadster built by the early Tesla Crew. It was their 1st concept car. Martin Eberhard had the fun took a sawzall to the Lotus Elise in order to make changes to the frame/structure to support the battery pack and mounted the electronics! So its really cool that Rob, the shop owner has it and owns it now :smile: Unfortunately the electronics and motor are pulled... Rob would like to build Mule 1 back up, so if anyone has connections let me/him know!...

attachment.php?attachmentid=31407&d=1380158209.jpg

The drivable "mule" (modified Elise)

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...e-(modified-Elise)?p=6109&viewfull=1#post6109

The yellow Mule 1 started its life as a gasoline-powered Lotus Elise: an Italian-spec car with the Rover K-Series engine. Lotus imported the car to the US for show before they had any US-spec cars. When they were done with it, they could not sell it for road use in the US because it was not DOT-compliant, and it was not worthwhile to ship it back to Europe. Tesla bought it relatively cheaply from Lotus for conversion. The car was pretty much completely dismantled by the early Tesla crew, then re-assembled with early prototype drivetrain components.

I was the guy who got to take the sawzall to the Elise :biggrin:

Juries, welcome to the forum. I suspected the article was written by a non-native English speaker and I appreciate your efforts to correct the grammar and sentence construction. I freely admit I cannot write anything in Dutch without the assistance of Google Translate and even then the result would be terrible!

And I apologize if I inadvertently insulted you with my reference to 4th grade writing skills. :)

Inadvertent?

Thank you Jurjen for posting an amazing review of Tesla history. Really nice to be able to go back again without having look up a lot of references myself to check to see if my memory is accurate (which I am certain it would not be).

you should maybe also try to copy paste the posters name correctly. :)