Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wants to replace my drive unit - 900 miles on car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I suspected, Tesla wants to replace the drive unit on my P85+.

It has the low pitch groan above 65 mph+ since new.

I am trying to figure out whether they will install a new unit or remanufactured unit. Should I insist on the former since the car is practically new? Or is the latter just as good and 'new'?

They plan to replace it today so I need to move fast!

Thanks.

I drop mine of Monday for the same. They indicated I might need my unit replaced as well. I wouldn't be too fussed either way (new vs refurbed). Warranty should still cover it, and it's not a part you "see

I had mine replaced with a refurbished unit at 6,000 miles. FWIW, my Service Adviser told me he thought the refurb might be better since any particular problem area had been specifically addressed. My new unit is MUCH quieter than the original, as-in completely silent at any speed (other than the normal deflating-balloon noise at full acceleration).

So has anyone figured out what's happening with the motors? What the cause is?
Some cars have no issues.
Some have motor noise loud enough to be heard over the stereo.
Others have only the mild hum above ~65

Will replaced motors develop the noise later?
Or have they found and solved the problem with new motor builds?

So has anyone figured out what's happening with the motors? What the cause is?

Will replaced motors develop the noise later?
Or have they found and solved the problem with new motor builds?
They replaced my inverter at around 3,000 kms (around 1,800 miles, late September '13 delivery). It was silent after the fix but I fear the hum is starting to return, now at 8,000 kms. Unless it gets much worse, I will wait for my first service in the Spring to have them address it.

Anybody know the cost of this if not coverer by warranty?

Ok so just brought the car back from Tesla Burlingame.

Brand new drive unit. Completely silent. No noise at highway speeds. Brilliant.

Glad to hear that they solved the problem. Edmunds also had the drive unit replaced in their long term car. Does anyone know how much this would cost if it happens after the warranty is up?

I drove a loaner P85+ the other day that didn't have the balloon deflating noise at full power.. mine does!

I also hear a little electric sound and medium speeds (30-60) at less than 20kw of power.. its really quiet though.

Oh, and I have a little clunk when going form power to regent and light throttle application, I was told it was normal gear lash. Not thrilled about that one.