Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mars One

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm wondering where there isn't any thread on this considering that THEY (mars one fan forum) have a thread on Elon Musk & SpaceX there. (Source: http://marsonefans.com/showthread.php/981-Elon-Musk-on-Mars-One)

Anyway, this project pretty much helps Elon's vision of the future since it would be greater access to Mars which means more business and visibility for SpaceX as well if it's pulled off...

Official Website: http://www.mars-one.com/
Indiegogo campaign: Mars One - First Private Mars Mission in 2018 | Indiegogo

Anyone signed up for it?

SpaceX is listed as one of their suppliers. So they have at least started initial talks with them about securing their services. I am sure it just comes down to money costs in order to sign the contract to use them. Right now the only contract they have signed that I am aware of, is a contract with Lockheed for a rover thing, and a contract with another company for a communications satellite.

My opinion is that Mars One is a scam.

There is no plausible way to do what they are suggesting (launch a probe to Mars) on just $400k.

There is no display which would allow them to do the "orbit selfie" unless it's just photoshopped later. Most displays stop working below -40C, others are damaged by cosmic radiation.

It costs more than $400k to build a basic satellite; how would you build a lander for less?

There is no plausible way to do what they are suggesting (launch a probe to Mars) on just $400k.

There is no display which would allow them to do the "orbit selfie" unless it's just photoshopped later. Most displays stop working below -40C, others are damaged by cosmic radiation.

It costs more than $400k to build a basic satellite; how would you build a lander for less?

And before SpaceX and Arianespace noone thought it was possible to build rockets for under 100 Million.

And people still don't think SpaceX will be able to further dramatically cut costs by making the stage 1 (and possibly stage 2) reusable... So that too must be a scam, right?

Considering they stated on the campaign page that the 400k goal was not the only source of funding:
Mars One does not rely on the crowdfunding for financing these studies. The contributions will help us achieve our goals more rapidly. Mars One has split up the work into parts. The current contracts cover the first steps in the 2018 mission. Lockheed Martin has started working on the mission concept for our 2018 Lander Mission.

Mars One will gain funds to send humans and cargo to Mars in a variety of ways. Mars One is a private and not a governmental initiative. Anyone interested can contribute in realizing the mission. Other than crowdfunding, the means of funding are as follows (not limited to):

Exclusive partnerships
Sponsorships
Sales of broadcasting rights
Involvement with high net worth individuals
Revenues from Intellectual Property

I don't see where you are getting that it will only cost 400k for a lander and satellite. That isn't their claim.

I love the idea. However, Musk recently said in the MIT interview that he thought it was not going to work and thought it would cost a lot more. He did chuckle to himself and say they he would be willing to sell them his rockets though. :)

Agree 100%. They're playing a publicity game, hoping to score on reality TV shows. Nobody will ever LEO as part of this venture. I'm sure that most of the contestants look at it the same way. They know that this will never happen, so let's milk it for their 15 minutes of fame.