Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model S 85 fully wrapped, pictures from the process...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AEdennis

Jul 23, 2013
The new post requesting the best method to protect the Model S got me thinking to update the TMC crew on the stuff we did to our Model S AFTER our weekend pickup from the Fremont Factory.

Here are pictures of my Model S that MoeMistry completely refreshed and wrapped the entire vehicle using XPEL Ultimate, applied Huper Optik window film to all glass surfaces, and finally applied a nano coating to the glass and paint to further protect everything. We basically drove the car up to Sonoma, then down from the factory and drove straight to Glistening Perfection's studio in Orange County.

So the first few pictures are the condition that we brought the car to the guys at Glistening Perfection. And since Moe's advice was to provide it to him as dirty as possible, we and drove it straight to his studio without anyone else having washed or detailed our Model S. He did a good job making it look better than new

IMG_1941-web900.jpg

IMG_1947-web900.jpg

IMG_1952-web900.jpg

IMG_1949-web900.jpg

Here they are preparing for clear bra installation

They repair all rock chips prior to clear bra installation

IMG_1972-web900.jpg

IMG_1973-web900.jpg

Once entire car is polished and clearcoat is in perfect condition, they then begin the dis-assembly. This is where it gets to be nervous time for me when I hear that he is doing this to get the best wrap possible. (It's to protect me from myself. As I've told a few of the folks during OC Tesla owners meetups, I find myself to be a shopping cart magnet).

IMG_1992-web900.jpg

IMG_1975-web900.jpg

IMG_1982-web900.jpg

IMG_1987-web900.jpg

Here it is with the installation complete

IMG_1993-web900.jpg

IMG_2010-web900.jpg

IMG_2119-web900.jpg

IMG_2121-web900.jpg

IMG_2127-web900.jpg

IMG_2128-web900.jpg

IMG_2134-web900.jpg

One of the things that attracted us to Moe and his group is that he is quite detail oriented. Such things as proper cataloging of what's removed assures him that he doesn't have spare parts when complete. He has become very well experienced in performing this level of work on Teslas and it's procedures like this that sets his expert shop apart from others. We appreciated their work so much, that we had the same thing (whole car wrapped) done to my wife's Signature Roadster (and that included taking out the factory protection... It's ok, it's five years old for that.)

IMG_2114-web900.jpg

Here he is making sure that the car stays cool in Southern California summers. The windows are getting tinted and nano coating applied to exterior glass surfaces. Including a near clear tint to the windshield AND because I'm kinda redundant to the Pano Roof as well.

IMG_2136-web900.jpg

IMG_2200-web900.jpg

He had new badges installed as he never re-uses the old ones. Besides, the old badges make for great conversation pieces on my office desk. Beside the chopped off Tesla Model S charging port that I got from TonyWilliams for the J1772 connector we use for either the Roadster or Active E.

IMG_2202-web900.jpg

Complete

IMG_2203-web900.jpg

IMG_2204-web900.jpg

IMG_2209-web900.jpg

IMG_2221-web900.jpg

IMG_2226-web900.jpg

IMG_2231-web900.jpg

IMG_2233-web900.jpg

IMG_2236-web900.jpg

IMG_2239-web900.jpg

IMG_2240-web900.jpg

IMG_2242-web900.jpg

Like I've said before... We liked them so much, we had them do my wife's Roadster too... Perhaps I'll update with that one later... Or maybe a blog post. Either way. Thumbs Up!

Wow. The extra level of care and detail is impressive. I have XPEL ultimate on almost all surfaces of my car and 3M tint. Neither installer took this level of time or care. Looks fab. Congrats!

A

Wow. The extra level of care and detail is impressive. I have XPEL ultimate on almost all surfaces of my car and 3M tint. Neither installer took this level of time or care. Looks fab. Congrats!

A

Thanks...

The most difficult part is keeping the car in the same condition. My wife is quite exacting and expects me to keep the car in the same shape. I've opted for semi annual visits to keep the S and Roadster in tip top aesthetic form as well (along with regular hand washes with my own elbow grease every few weeks).

AEdennis, your MS looks stunning ! They did an awesome job. Did you shop around before deciding on Glistening Perfection? Do you happen to know how many MS's they have done?

I'm shopping for a clear bra installer, & thinking about going with Ultimate Shield, but looks like Glistening Perfection can give them a run for their money. By the way, how much did they charge you? You could PM me if you don't want to post publicly. I've gotten quotes from a few places ranging from $3500-$5200.

Thanks...

The most difficult part is keeping the car in the same condition. My wife is quite exacting and expects me to keep the car in the same shape. I've opted for semi annual visits to keep the S and Roadster in tip top aesthetic form as well (along with regular hand washes with my own elbow grease every few weeks).

Thank you for the opportunity Dennis for letting us do what we excel at. We had a lot of fun on the Model S and Roadster and are very happy with how it all turned out. Now sit back and enjoy caring for your Teslas :)

- - - Updated - - -

AEdennis, your MS looks stunning ! They did an awesome job. Did you shop around before deciding on Glistening Perfection? Do you happen to know how many MS's they have done?

I'm shopping for a clear bra installer, & thinking about going with Ultimate Shield, but looks like Glistening Perfection can give them a run for their money. By the way, how much did they charge you? You could PM me if you don't want to post publicly. I've gotten quotes from a few places ranging from $3500-$5200.

PM sent. I will say that those prices are on the low side and I'd make sure to check out the work of the companies quoting you. Make sure to find out what film they're using. With those prices, you can bet not a whole lot of the car is being removed and not much can properly be tucked around edges for a seamless install. A lot of pre-cut is being used as well instead of custom or semi-custom installation.

Ultimate Auto is a very reputable company and their work is top notch. But like I said, we offer a different level of service that isn't always for everyone. By the time we've prepped, disassembled, and reassemble, and did final work, it's taken about 3-4 times the time to install the clear film. That's all skilled labor and majority of what we charge is to cover that time/labor. Hope that makes sense.

For comparison, I paid $7500 for a full wrap in Xpel Ultimate up here in Seattle. That included removal of all trim pieces, nose cone, etc, and all edges wrapped and tucked. Also includes lifetime waxes to keep it looking good and me marketing it to others. :)

Not cheap, but you get what you pay for. I've got a year on the film now and it still looks brand new. No swirls or scratches. Pretty amazing for a black car. Totally worth it for the peace of mind and prestine look.

Absolutely incredible job. I have Xpel pre-cut kits covering every available painted surface, but the rear hatch and deck lid has no kit. We tried to do a custom piece of Xpel, and even removed the labels, trim and brake light housing, but my installer was unable to do the Xpel over all of the curves...mostly because I think he tried to do it singlehandedly, without people to help stretch it over the rear trunk radius. Bummer that Moe's shop is thousands of miles away!

I'm a complete newbie to a luxury car and am expecting my MS in late February. I've been seeing threads about clear bras, optic coats, Xpel, etc. should I be getting a clear protective film put on my new car since I didn't opt for the one tesla offers? It never occurred to me that I would really want or need it. Do most people get some kind of a protective film for their Tesla?

Is there somewhere I can learn about the differences between the various brands and types of protective coats?

thanks.

I'm a complete newbie to a luxury car and am expecting my MS in late February. I've been seeing threads about clear bras, optic coats, Xpel, etc. should I be getting a clear protective film put on my new car since I didn't opt for the one tesla offers? It never occurred to me that I would really want or need it. Do most people get some kind of a protective film for their Tesla?

Is there somewhere I can learn about the differences between the various brands and types of protective coats?

thanks.

It is purely optional. My better half wanted to do this for our Teslas... Our BMWs never have gotten this kind of treatment in the past... Besides, one of the complaints about the Teslas is how "soft" the paint is...

In our case, I am normally a "magnet" for shopping carts, is we went for it.

thanks.

This forum is an excellent place to read up on this subject as the owners and vendors are very knowledgeable. Every MS we've worked on, with two exceptions, has had us do a clear film on either the whole front end of MS or the entire MS. Reason being...most have purchased their MS and plan on keeping it for years. It's the prudent thing to do for reasons of protecting against rock chips, scratches, scrapes, bumper scuffs, etc. It WILL add resale value depending on who does the work, the film used, and the quality of the installation/coverage.

Currently the two brands that are on the cutting edge based on clarity, performance, and warranty are XPEL Ultimate and Suntek TopCoat. Expect to pay a premium for the material and the installation, but it could be quite possibly the first and last time you'll do the wrap. That's why I encourage clients to seek out the best installers in the industry based on their geographical location and pay the premium because it's a one-time expense that is amortized for as long as you own your MS. This is assuming you do proper maintenance and care for the film.

A good question someone asked was regarding insurance. We charge quite a premium over other installers because of the scope of work we do. I tell all my clients to submit our invoice to their insurance agent and keep it on file as reference for when there's a time you need to replace the film due to a collision. Every vehicle we've wrapped, and if involved in a collision, the insurance company has covered replacing the film 100%.

Please let me know if there's any other questions you have.

thanks.

Hi Phillymomof4, I highly recommend XPEL Ultimate wrap because the paint of the Model S is *VERY SOFT*. This means that if you go through a car wash, or even if you baby it and wash it by hand, you WILL get microswirls in the paint which can then only be fixed by having a paint correction done on it by a pro. That will get rid of the microswirls, but unless you protect it somehow, you'll only end up getting them again. MANY of us in NJ have had our XPEL Wraps done by Lee @ Leeberbs https://www.facebook.com/leeberbs which is not too far from you (you're probably closer to him than me!). He's become our local pro XPEL installer around here. He's done dozens and dozens of Model S's now, and has even installed a NEMA 14-50 and listed himself on plugshare too :) He is definitely a pro, and VERY meticulous about his work. I was the first Model S he had done. I found him by going to the XPEL sight and looking at certified and trained pro installers in our area and I do my research looking at reviews and BBB etc and he was the best of the best. And even his prices are great too (much cheaper than California prices!). His full time job is doing this on very high end vehicles. I went back to him to tint my car and that time he was working on a brand new 911 Turbo S. He did my XPEL Ultimate & Madico Charcool 20% and VERY satisfied with that work. We all highly recommend him.

XPEL Ultimate is the best wrap on the market. It's warranty is double it's competitors as well (10 years instead of 5). XPEL Ultimate has "self-healing" properties that if there is a scratch under sunlight and some water it will "heal" and the scratch will go away. No other wraps can do that. With this wrap, it's much easier to wash a car, you don't have to worry about scratching, etc. Drying is easier too (I even use one of those water blades to quickly wipe the water off teh car after washing). If you go to Lee just tell him Dennis sent ya! :) He also has a paint detail/correction guy so if you've had your car for a while, and you want to wrap it, or if it's new but you do have microswirls, I highly recommend having his guy do a quick paint correction before the wrap. Then your car will stay perfect forever :)

The new post requesting the best method to protect the Model S got me thinking to update the TMC crew on the stuff we did to our Model S AFTER our weekend pickup from the Fremont Factory.

Here are pictures of my Model S that MoeMistry completely refreshed and wrapped the entire vehicle using XPEL Ultimate, applied Huper Optik window film to all glass surfaces, and finally applied a nano coating to the glass and paint to further protect everything. We basically drove the car up to Sonoma, then down from the factory and drove straight to Glistening Perfection's studio in Orange County.

IMG_2119-web900.jpg

Could you post how MoeMistry got access to the taillights to remove them? We've been puzzling over that on this thread, trying to determine how we can tap into the back-up light wiring to flip the camera image from front to rear when the car is put into reverse.

Hi Phillymomof4, I highly recommend XPEL Ultimate wrap because the paint of the Model S is *VERY SOFT*. This means that if you go through a car wash, or even if you baby it and wash it by hand, you WILL get microswirls in the paint which can then only be fixed by having a paint correction done on it by a pro. That will get rid of the microswirls, but unless you protect it somehow, you'll only end up getting them again. MANY of us in NJ have had our XPEL Wraps done by Lee @ Leeberbs https://www.facebook.com/leeberbs which is not too far from you (you're probably closer to him than me!). He's become our local pro XPEL installer around here. He's done dozens and dozens of Model S's now, and has even installed a NEMA 14-50 and listed himself on plugshare too :) He is definitely a pro, and VERY meticulous about his work. I was the first Model S he had done. I found him by going to the XPEL sight and looking at certified and trained pro installers in our area and I do my research looking at reviews and BBB etc and he was the best of the best. And even his prices are great too (much cheaper than California prices!). His full time job is doing this on very high end vehicles. I went back to him to tint my car and that time he was working on a brand new 911 Turbo S. He did my XPEL Ultimate & Madico Charcool 20% and VERY satisfied with that work. We all highly recommend him.

XPEL Ultimate is the best wrap on the market. It's warranty is double it's competitors as well (10 years instead of 5). XPEL Ultimate has "self-healing" properties that if there is a scratch under sunlight and some water it will "heal" and the scratch will go away. No other wraps can do that. With this wrap, it's much easier to wash a car, you don't have to worry about scratching, etc. Drying is easier too (I even use one of those water blades to quickly wipe the water off teh car after washing). If you go to Lee just tell him Dennis sent ya! :) He also has a paint detail/correction guy so if you've had your car for a while, and you want to wrap it, or if it's new but you do have microswirls, I highly recommend having his guy do a quick paint correction before the wrap. Then your car will stay perfect forever :)

Agree with almost everything you said.

Tesla paint, or any paint for that matter, can be cared forso that swirls and scratches are minimized WITHOUT having to install a clear film. It comes down to technique. However, you will spend WAY more time caring for it if unwrapped.

Suntek Top Coat IS self healing as well. XPEL Ultimate and Suntek topcoat are the only two I know of that are self healing. I wanna say Avery nanofusion is too, but I'm not 100% sure. Ultimate is however the benchmark others are compared to. In the end, the way we run our business, warranty is with our company, not the film. As long as the film is cared for and we know it, we'll warranty it no matter what happens or how long it's been...within reason of course ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Could you post how MoeMistry got access to the taillights to remove them? We've been puzzling over that on this thread, trying to determine how we can tap into the back-up light wiring to flip the camera image from front to rear when the car is put into reverse.

Removing taillights is quite tricky.

Assuming you want the whole rear taillight bar removed:

1. There are two 8mm nuts that have caps on them, that needs to be removed from the side of taillights
2. Then, the last two are inside the back of taillights, so easiest way is to pop out the handle inside the trunk area and pop out the button assembly for closing the tailgate
3. If you cannot access that way, you'll need to open up the whole tailgate cover from inside the car. They're on poppers, so you'll need the proper tool for popping them out. Be careful when it drops as there are several wired connections. Two man job
4. Remove the bolts for license plate lights and backup camera...I believe T20/T25 bolts
5. The whole rear light bar, once the four bolts are removed on each side, is held in place with pressure points that need to be popped out from the back while pulling from exterior with a plastic pry tool
6. There is double-sided tape behind the TESLA lettering that is gently adhered off
7. Be very gentle with the whole thing because once everything is loose, the sides with lights are heavier than the middle chrome piece and you may run the risk of snapping the whole light bar if tilted either direction too much...definitely two man job

If you just wanna remove the side tail lights:

1. Remove the carpeting assembly
2. You'll have access to the 3 nuts that are 8mm to remove light. Use the deep socket
3. Passenger side has one extra long bolt/nut with big washers near the edge that also needs to be removed
4. Takes a little finessing and wiggling, but if you do all the above, the whole thing should pop out and expose the wiring

On the next Tesla, I'll take some photos for you guys and post it

Let me know if this was what you're looking for

Agree with almost everything you said.

Removing taillights is quite tricky.

Assuming you want the whole rear taillight bar removed:

1. There are two 8mm nuts that have caps on them, that needs to be removed from the side of taillights
2. Then, the last two are inside the back of taillights, so easiest way is to pop out the handle inside the trunk area and pop out the button assembly for closing the tailgate
3. If you cannot access that way, you'll need to open up the whole tailgate cover from inside the car. They're on poppers, so you'll need the proper tool for popping them out. Be careful when it drops as there are several wired connections. Two man job
4. Remove the bolts for license plate lights and backup camera...I believe T20/T25 bolts
5. The whole rear light bar, once the four bolts are removed on each side, is held in place with pressure points that need to be popped out from the back while pulling from exterior with a plastic pry tool
6. There is double-sided tape behind the TESLA lettering that is gently adhered off
7. Be very gentle with the whole thing because once everything is loose, the sides with lights are heavier than the middle chrome piece and you may run the risk of snapping the whole light bar if tilted either direction too much...definitely two man job

If you just wanna remove the side tail lights:

1. Remove the carpeting assembly
2. You'll have access to the 3 nuts that are 8mm to remove light. Use the deep socket
3. Passenger side has one extra long bolt/nut with big washers near the edge that also needs to be removed
4. Takes a little finessing and wiggling, but if you do all the above, the whole thing should pop out and expose the wiring

On the next Tesla, I'll take some photos for you guys and post it

Let me know if this was what you're looking for

Thanks, that's exactly what we wanted to know. When you get a chance photos would be great.

Dennis, Sold!! I will call Leeberbs. Sound awesome. I definitely want window tinting so I'm glad he does it the XPEL and tinting. Thanks for the solid rec. I have to google his location now...