Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Cracker Barrel Network?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ThosEM

Space Weatherman
Dec 13, 2013
Annapolis, MD
I've noticed that Cracker Barrel restaurants have started a pilot charger program at about 24 of their locations in Eastern Tennessee along the major interstates. It appears they are going for a mix of EV Plugs and Quick Chargers of some sort. They have something like 600 locations in total, and if they were to extend this program to a large fraction of them, it sure would make a nice network. Will Cracker Barrel become the next network for highway refilling stations? Here's a map of their easterly locations.

Screen Shot 2014-01-02 at 15.19.30.jpg

They would appear to offer good coverage in places Tesla may neglect, for example the I81 corridor along the Shenandoah in Virginia. But we may need CHAdeMo adapters ($$$).

Given what they are paying for the CHAdeMO charging outlets, maybe they will start a program of keeping a CHAdeMO to MS adapter at each place and rent/loan them to you. Maybe taking a credit card or drivers license as a deposit.

• Love
Reactions: Missile Toad
Given what they are paying for the CHAdeMO charging outlets, maybe they will start a program of keeping a CHAdeMO to MS adapter at each place and rent/loan them to you. Maybe taking a credit card or drivers license as a deposit.

Don't know how smart a CHAdeMO adapter is but would suspect it has a MAC address or other ESN and could be tracked when it appears on a charger. Just as I suspect a charger can extract our VIN when connected.

- - - Updated - - -

They would appear to offer good coverage in places Tesla may neglect, for example the I81 corridor along the Shenandoah in Virginia. But we may need CHAdeMo adapters ($$$).

Yes, I too noticed Tesla is ignoring I-81, and I-65 is also one of the last on the schedule. Birmingham, AL is not even on the 2015 schedule. Memphis gets one in 2015 but there is none east of Memphis.

I fear I will have to have a CHAdeMO adapter.

The Cracker Barrel CHAdeMO chargers are part of a Nissan deal. When Nissan relocated its national headquarters to Nashville it was the politic thing to do to place chargers for Leafs. I suspect that the government leaned on another TN corporation Cracker Barrel to facilitate Leaf travel between Nashville, Chattanooga and Knoxville. Take a look at the placements and you will see no real effort to place chargers at other Cracker Barrel locations. This theory is supported by the Nissan infusion of $ into Blink. Also look at the number of J1772 chargers in the Nashville area.