Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1974 VW EVThing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is my converted 1974 VW Thing.

Best_In_Show_EVCCON_2013.jpg

It has a 120VDC / 650amp HPEVS Three phase AC-50 motor and Curits Controller. It works out to about 80hp. It made 74hp at the rear wheels on a calibrated dyno in third gear (1:1). I has a 20Kwhr LiFePo4 battery pack. It has about a 70-90 mile range depending on temperature and speed. It will do 0-60 in about 10 seconds. It still has a clutch and 4 speed transaxle. The ring a pinion has be updated to a higher 3:44 set to make better use of the 110ft-lb of torque. The max speed is around 80mph in fourth gear. It uses a standard J1772 charging port.

I fully restored the car and converted it to electric drive in about a year.

You can see all of the details at: http://www.EVThing.me

Wow. I'm beyond impressed. That's a sweet ride! No wonder it took first place! I'm a bit surprised it still has a clutch -- I don't quite understand the physics of why some EVs benefit from gears while others like the MS are in a single gear.

The short answer is that is only has 80hp. The 110 ft-lb of torque is not enough to accelerate the car very fast in a higher gear. The gears greatly improve acceleration.

Also, since it is a conversion, it gives you a very effective emergency mechanical disconnect from the motor if needed. You hope nothing will go wrong, but Just In case....