Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will it fit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cinergi

Sep 17, 2010
MA
Q: Will the Honda EU6500is generator fit in the Model S? Here's a random Google images pic of it in a truck ...

img-portablepower_eu6500a.png

A: Yes! (Sadly, I forgot to take a photo) It's close due to the height, but (with the seats down) you can lift it up into the trunk, roll it back until the wheels hit the seat transition, and it'll sit entirely in the trunk (and not on top of the covered extra cargo area -- which I didn't want it to do given the weight of the unit -- 280 pounds). The hatch glass JUST clears the unit. For safety while driving, I put some soft material between the glass and the generator.

Maybe next time I'll take a pic :)

What craziness have you fit in yours?

I went to IKEA with a friend who wanted to buy a desk. He said, "we should take my truck, a desk won't fit in your Tesla". I gave him a look and kept walking toward my car. FYI, an IKEA desk DOES fit in a Tesla.

So you rolled the wheels over the removable floor cover? Piece of plywood would help spread the weight here without reducing clearance as you are already inside the door frame.

Did you get it to charge the MS using UMC or other EVSE? My EU6500is won't charge MS as I haven't connected the pair of resistors to ground yet. I have 2 light bulbs in series (center tap unconnected) just to provide minimum 240v load and to show it is generating.
--

I brought a 50" LCD TV home in the car. It was almost too easy. Having said that, I brought a 50" Plasma home in my Pontiac Vibe hatchback a couple of years ago with all doors closed. Now THAT surprised me.
Really? I wouldn't have dared take an actual TV in the car. All the boxes I saw warned that transporting the TV flat risked damaging the panel, so I had it delivered. I'll take the empty box out to storage, though!

Really? I wouldn't have dared take an actual TV in the car. All the boxes I saw warned that transporting the TV flat risked damaging the panel, so I had it delivered. I'll take the empty box out to storage, though!

I never read the boxes :eek: They were both packed and suspended with Styrofoam, so unless something punctured the box, I figured it was safe. In the end, no problems with either of the TVs I brought home this way.

So you rolled the wheels over the removable floor cover? Piece of plywood would help spread the weight here without reducing clearance as you are already inside the door frame.

Did you get it to charge the MS using UMC or other EVSE? My EU6500is won't charge MS as I haven't connected the pair of resistors to ground yet. I have 2 light bulbs in series (center tap unconnected) just to provide minimum 240v load and to show it is generating.
--

Yeah I wasn't thinking ahead when I picked it up. I did roll the wheels over the removable floor cover, but we were still supporting the unit. It handled the weight just fine. The other thing I realized while transporting it is if I'd given the accelerator enough juice, the generator would have rolled back some and if the rear windshield didn't stop it or wasn't far enough forward, the rear of the unit might have been able to drop into the footwell. Needless to say, I drove VERY gently!

I haven't tried hooking the generator up to it yet. I definitely will be trying that by the time this weekend is over (I'm getting a 200A service upgrade and it's gonna be below 0 here so I'll be hacking the generator into my heat and running extension cords for fridge and whatnot. I'll take that opportunity to try the car -- and I'll try it on both 120 and 240 (I have a homemade L14-30 -> 14-50 adapter). I'll post in the generator hack-charging thread when I have the results.

OT, but what do you mean connect pair of resistors to ground?

On multiple occasions I carried a bicycle inside with jump and rear seats folded flat, prior to getting my Torklift hitch installed at the end of the summer. People were very surprised to see a bike come out of it.

aqapahy7.jpg

I'd be worried about a big piece of equipment like that to move around with sudden braking.

Fortunately there's no way for it to proceed further into the cabin given its dimensions -- it couldn't come up over the seat backs. Regardless, I still drove very carefully and very slowly, much to the annoyance of the drivers behind me :)

> OT, but what do you mean connect pair of resistors to ground? [cinergi]

When I connect the UMC to the Honda EU6500is generator it will not charge the MS. The Honda outputs a near-perfect waveform so the problem is elsewhere. Connecting a Clipper Creek CS-60 EVSE (no center-tap, no neutral- just like a permanent house connection): likewise no worky. This with 2 light bulbs in series across the 240 output of Honda (to provide minimum load, if that might help).

On the inverter generator threads comments have been posted that MS will not accept charge unless you connect a pair of 100k ohm 1 watt resistors (or other value) from each leg to ground in order to satisfy the weirdness that is the MS charging protocol. RadShack doesn't stock 1 watters so a pair of 200k ohm 1/2 watt in parallel will serve. But I gave up on this project since my MS has no trailer hitch yet. I do have the mini trailer, though, for MS to pull Honda generator. Like you my immediate reason for needing Honda is to run house while service cable is buried & re-connected (whenever that fine day should arrive). :smile:
--

> OT, but what do you mean connect pair of resistors to ground? [cinergi]

When I connect the UMC to the Honda EU6500is generator it will not charge the MS. The Honda outputs a near-perfect waveform so the problem is elsewhere. Connecting a Clipper Creek CS-60 EVSE (no center-tap, no neutral- just like a permanent house connection): likewise no worky. This with 2 light bulbs in series across the 240 output of Honda (to provide minimum load, if that might help).

On the inverter generator threads comments have been posted that MS will not accept charge unless you connect a pair of 100k ohm 1 watt resistors (or other value) from each leg to ground in order to satisfy the weirdness that is the MS charging protocol. RadShack doesn't stock 1 watters so a pair of 200k ohm 1/2 watt in parallel will serve. But I gave up on this project since my MS has no trailer hitch yet. I do have the mini trailer, though, for MS to pull Honda generator. Like you my immediate reason for needing Honda is to run house while service cable is buried & re-connected (whenever that fine day should arrive). :smile:
--

Ah, interesting. Let's take this here: Hack-charging on a generator - Page 13

It's been awhile since anyone posted, but I managed to fit the box for a 65" LCD TV by folding the seats! :eek::biggrin:

Thought you'd all be interested in a pic of it jammed in there. There was about an inch on each side, but to fit the length of it I had to move my seat up a few inches (I'm pretty tall). Still perfectly drivable. Otherwise, no issues. That said, you're technically not supposed to transport this TV on its back, but you could if you were so inclined!

IMG_1786.jpg

It's insane how much storage this thing has.

Thought I'd revive this thread. Was recently doing some moving and I'm amazed at what can fit in the Tesla.

So far:
10ft PVC Pipes from Home Depot - a dozen of them

From yesterday:
IKEA BRUSALI QUEEN bed frame + base/midbeam
IKEA KALLAX 4x4 shelf
2 x MALM square desks
Plenty more space!

IKmXH9s.jpg

Last edited: