Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Moving, shipping your Tesla to Germany

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it temporary or permanent? Because if it's permanent or a couple of years I'd suggest you sell your S and buy a European version.

Since the European version has 3-phase charging support it charges 3 times as fast as a US model would do here.

European SuperChargers also have a different connector (due to the different chargeport) which won't fit on your US Model S.

Thank You widodh. But to exchange the incar charger or port will not be a big deal I think. I have my car now a year and just love it, do not want to sell it for a loss and buy one that cost way more than here in the US. That is why I ask if anybody has done it already. I know one year ago there was a discussion about it and about the registration process after shipping and I know that it goes as moving goods and will not be taxed (Einfuhrsteuer).
Peter

Thank You widodh. But to exchange the incar charger or port will not be a big deal I think. I have my car now a year and just love it, do not want to sell it for a loss and buy one that cost way more than here in the US. That is why I ask if anybody has done it already. I know one year ago there was a discussion about it and about the registration process after shipping and I know that it goes as moving goods and will not be taxed (Einfuhrsteuer).
Peter
It's not only the charge port, it's also the charger. The US charger is a single-phase charger where the European charger is a 3-phase model.

I wouldn't recommend 1-phase charging in Europe. If you are lucky you'll be able to charge at 32A, but most of the time it will be 16A.

The cabling from the chargeport to the charger is also different due to the cables for the extra phases, so it's probably not that easy.

Recently an owner was able to do a battery exchange (60 for 85) for ~$17,000. He had to ask multiple times and keep pushing after getting "NO". Be firm but courteous, and you never know what Tesla Motors can make happen (for a price).

Make sure you get to keep your old hardware in case you ever bring the car back.

I would guess that changing to EU spec charging would be >15K. In addition to shipping and compliance fees you would have to pay, converting to receive data in EU, Software upgrades, etc. I agree with Widodh that it is better to sell here and buy there to accomplish what you want.

No personal experience but if the import duty and tax is zero (which it should be if you have owned the T for 6 months+ and keep it once in the EU for more than one year) then the only problem from a non-Tesla specific POV is EU Vs US vehicle regulations i.e. speedo, lighting etc. I suspect the T will either be easily modified or already comply. But the best thing to do is speak to T who must have experience of all this already and will be able to advise on the T-specific issues of owning a US T in the EU; over the air software updates included (although this may simply require a change of sim card). From what I know of importing stuff to the UK, I would say the savings in money will far outweigh the hassle. So, speak to T and speak to a German based car importer to see what's involved practically and financially. And good luck!

To martinwinlow, I have already started that process of asking Tesla and I have an importer in Germany that does the registration process including telling Service what to change (about Euro 1000). The onboard charger can still be used If I just use the at home outlet 240V/30A (that is also only 1 Phase) but will definetely switch that later to use 380V that is 3 Phase. There is no battery switch necessary. Shipping is between $900 and $1200. And totally the savings would far outweight the hassle. BTW I had some mod's done with Al&Ed's like mobileeye, blindspot sensors and forged rims that would be lost too. Peter

peahle:

how close will you be to the current german Super Chargers? I think you will be fine with single-phase charging and it is not worth it have everything modified. In the worst case, you can install a J1772 EVSE and charge using the J1772 adapter.

Any idea if you need to mod the tail lights to the European spec? I know it can be done, but for me that would be the biggest pain.

To martinwinlow, I have already started that process of asking Tesla and I have an importer in Germany that does the registration process including telling Service what to change (about Euro 1000). The onboard charger can still be used If I just use the at home outlet 240V/30A (that is also only 1 Phase) but will definetely switch that later to use 380V that is 3 Phase. There is no battery switch necessary. Shipping is between $900 and $1200. And totally the savings would far outweight the hassle. BTW I had some mod's done with Al&Ed's like mobileeye, blindspot sensors and forged rims that would be lost too. Peter

Did Tesla tell you how much it would cost to convert the charging system to 3 phase so you can charge at other locations and use the superchargers there?

peahle:

how close will you be to the current german Super Chargers? I think you will be fine with single-phase charging and it is not worth it have everything modified. In the worst case, you can install a J1772 EVSE and charge using the J1772 adapter.

Any idea if you need to mod the tail lights to the European spec? I know it can be done, but for me that would be the biggest pain.
Just to be clear: The EU-Supercharger do not fit in a US-Model S because it has a different Plug (a modified Mennkes-Plug). There is no adapter available.

Last edited:
There are quite some changes one would need to make when shipping to Europe. Firstly of course the charging system and connectors. Then the radio to work with DAB instead of HD. The the rear indicators and maybe rear fog light. The GSM module should be okay but will require a new SIM. Then software changes for navigation, firmware etc. And of course you are out of warranty in Germany with a US Model S.

I thought operating your US vehicle outside the US for an extended period of time voided your warranty (or something along those lines)?
I believe you're referring to this:
ms_vehicle_warranty.pdf said:
The following will also void this New Vehicle Limited Warranty:

• Vehicles that have been transported or driven outside the Tesla North America Warranty Region;

I am not worry about warranty, there were never warranty problems with my MB's (in 4 years and with just about 25000 miles driven) and I do not exspect any with my P85 (same amount of miles driving in 4 years). I am German and use public transportation wherever it is possible (train and busses to work for example)