Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: What is the 'something special' for Roadster owners from Tesla in 2014?

From Elon's hints, what 'pretty cool' thing will Tesla do for Roadsters in 2014?

• Fix for charging bug (80A pilot signal compatibility) *only*.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Fix for charging bug and Adapter to use Model S HPWCs

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • Fix for charging bug, Adapter for Model S HPWCs, and HPWCs at Supercharger sites

Votes: 32 33.3%
  • Improved brakes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Some type of PEM upgrade (e.g., liquid-cooled)

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Some type of motor upgrade

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Some type of battery pack upgrade (e.g., using newer cells)

Votes: 38 39.6%
  • Something else entirely

Votes: 11 11.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

pharma5

Roadster F#25, Model 3 #36xx
Nov 22, 2011
central NJ
From Elon's comments at TESLive and Twitter: "We are going to do something special for Roadster owners next year. I can’t say what that is, but I can say that it will be pretty cool."

As we enter 2014, what do you think it is?

EDIT: Please vote from the options above - thanks to all for participating!

Last edited:
I didn't vote. The 80A pilot bug has already been fixed and it's not 2014 yet. I can't vote for the adapter choices because it would mean all my hard work would go down the drain unless they do a crappy job like they did with the J1772 adapter. I think there will be a motor upgrade but that will also require a PEM upgrade and it won't let me vote for both. New brakes are a possibility but won't be the only thing. Improved pack with newer cells is a possibility especially if they offer a motor/PEM upgrade. I can't vote for "something else entirely" because I think the real answer is a combination of more than one item and not entirely something else.

I'm almost worried that it will, in fact, be 'pretty cool' because we have 2 kids in college and probably can't afford it.:crying:

I didn't vote. The 80A pilot bug has already been fixed and it's not 2014 yet. I can't vote for the adapter choices because it would mean all my hard work would go down the drain unless they do a crappy job like they did with the J1772 adapter. I think there will be a motor upgrade but that will also require a PEM upgrade and it won't let me vote for both. New brakes are a possibility but won't be the only thing. Improved pack with newer cells is a possibility especially if they offer a motor/PEM upgrade. I can't vote for "something else entirely" because I think the real answer is a combination of more than one item and not entirely something else.

I'm almost worried that it will, in fact, be 'pretty cool' because we have 2 kids in college and probably can't afford it.:crying:

Apologies HC, feel like I bungled including an option for "Some combo of PEM, motor, and/or battery pack upgrade".:redface:
Mods, is there any way you or I can edit that option in as next-to-last choice listed?

Absent a tweak to the poll options, I'd recommend voting for whichever item you think would be the primary driving force or most prominent item for such an upgrade. (I'd also note the poll is asking what we think it will be vs. what we want, although people can and will certainly vote however they want.:wink:).

For the adapter choices, in my head I like to consider the possibility that the design could still be sourced/licensed from you... the poll does not limit where it comes from...

Yeah, I'm pretty darn confident that Supercharger capability isn't on the table. Too much has to change. Too expensive for so few cars.

My biggest hope is for an OPTION to buy a future battery pack (no need to make it now!) at far lower prices. That should help with Roadster resale values AND give Model S buyers more confidence.

Yeah, I'm pretty darn confident that Supercharger capability isn't on the table. Too much has to change. Too expensive for so few cars.

My biggest hope is for an OPTION to buy a future battery pack (no need to make it now!) at far lower prices. That should help with Roadster resale values AND give Model S buyers more confidence.

I think that ChadS has the right way of valuing what gets done for Roadster owners. It's not how many of the widget can be sold to Roadster owners - it's what it says to the next generation of owners about how their car can evolve later in time. We can wait several years for the initial Model S fleet to age, and then come up with something that seems straightforward like a battery upgrade, and just hope that it comes along, and learn THEN how upgradable these early Model S's are. We can all think that it's straightforward and easy to upgrade the Model S's, and I think we can agree that on the surface, it should be easier than something like that would be for the Roadster.

But if Tesla steps up in 2014 with something of that scale for the current Roadsters, the ancillary goodwill across the entire Tesla owner community will be huge. Like move-the-stock-price huge.

I'm voting battery - use the current battery box for a Roadster and "fill" it with Model S chemistry batteries. There will be firmware updates required I'm sure, but the change in chemistry takes the roadster from ~50 to 80 kW sized battery. Do that, and now its running around out there in the wild for everybody to see - it's not just theory, it's real. (Crazy notion that the Roadster battery has almost as many 18650 cells as the Model S85).

That's what would be exciting and cool to me. A new brake option - not exciting or cool.

What I really want to see is the combo talked about by others - updated battery chemistry, liquid cooling for the PEM, maybe liquid cooling for the motor, DC hardware bypass, Model S style plug, firmware that keeps everything happy, and Supercharger access. That would be a technology game-changer, not for what it does for the Roadster owners (all 2500ish of us), but what it says can be done for the Model S. I also know that it won't be easy and it won't be cheap.

The straight battery chemistry swap, which also won't be cheap, would still fall into the exciting and cool. Even if the performance doesn't change, charging to ~170*1.6 = 272 Ideal Miles for a standard charge each day; that'd be cool.

I read/seen Tesla's announcements and "confirmed" rumors for years regarding the Roadster and the Model S. I've rarely been "excited" - rather, I've been disappointed maybe because I had my hope up too high (if that is possible). Therefore from my perspective I doubt I will find the announcement to be "exciting". As for the battery - they have to do something and since the original batteries are no longer available using the Model S cells or even the next generation is simply something they HAVE TO DO. Of course Tesla could use this as their "exciting" announcement. Excitement is in the eyes of the beholder!

Upgraded battery pack and the option to use the old pack as a battery backup or UPS for your house.

Ok Sparrow - you're right, the ability to reuse the old battery as a house UPS - THAT would be cool. I'm already thinking about how to pull something like that off at my house, and ~50 kWh worth of battery would provide a big assist. Very nice.

Okay, now we're talking. At one point I'd talked to someone at Tesla about this. I'd LOVE to recycle my own battery pack into backup power for my solar system when it's time to replace my battery. What a great story to be able to tell.

And if that replaced battery just happened to offer greater range, BONUS!

Indeed, Tesla will not develop all kind of features for 2500 Roadsters.
They will only develop something that helps sales for model S and future models. So only replacing existing battery cells with Model S cells brings an extension of range of about 125 miles. It seems to me it can easily be done with a small benefit for Tesla at a reasonable price.
Big message will be then: Buy a Model S because in 5 years time you will be able to make a 500 miles range upgrade as Tesla shows with Roadster upgrade.
Supercharging capabilities for Roadster is simply from marketing point of view not interesting.