Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any pre-supercharging options on way to Morgantown via I68?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking to take Tesla on a road trip soon to Morgantown. I think we can make it, but with the mountains and cold wanted some emergency charging options. I know Somerset is coming, but it won't be in time. Looking at the charging maps on plug share and chargepoint, it looks like an EV wasteland after Hagerstown until Morgantown.

So, has anyone taken the drive and have an idea of the range loss expectations?
Does anyone know of any obscure charging options along that route (guess I need to look for RV Camp options next) just in case?

In not too long this trip will be supported by superchargers in Hagerstown and with a slight diversion, Somerset PA. Also there's a plan for a supercharger in Morgantown.

My issue is near term since I'm making the trip before the superchargers will be ready.

So, the trip to Morgantown got delayed for non-Tesla reasons and by the time we took the trip last weekend Hagerstown and Somerset were both on-line. Since I had been driving around during the day, we didn't leave on a full charge (topped off with our HPWC). So, going we decided to stop in Somerset (in the future may just top off in Hagerstown instead to ensure that we don't need to go out of our way up to Somerset) to be conservative on our first really long ride with baby in back.
For those who haven't gone to Somerset, the navigation takes you to the front of a Wendy's and it's hard to see the superchargers from there. Pull into the Wendy's and the're in the back. The Wendy's was closed, but you can walk (yes, even in sub 10F weather) right down the road to a 24 hour Eat-n-Park for restrooms.

Coming back we had a full charge (destination charging on a 14-50).
Here was the good news....No need to stop in Hagerstown on the way back.
That included driving in 10-20F weather, over the mountains on I-68 and I-70, with snow for part of the trip and wet roads for most of the trip, and an unplugged stop for dinner, using heat, and playing music.

I love this car.

PS: still glad I got my first super charging experience. It is one thing to read about and completely another to see it in action.
supercharging.jpg