Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vehicle Display System (VDS) touchscreen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

doug

Administrator / Head Moderator
Administrator
That VDS looks pretty cool. Anyone else concerned about the location of it? It's on the left hand side just above the knee. Seems like a poor location if you had to glance at it while driving. Also you'd have to operate it with your left hand which isn't so natural for most. Any thoughts?

VDS screen shots

Don't remember if this has already been posted here, but I stumbled across this from our friend Bill Arnett.
Tesla Roadster Touch Screen Displays

Here are a choice few:

IMG_1605_1.jpg

_MG_8252.jpg

IMG_1640_1.jpg

IMG_1646_1.jpg

What are these measurements showing? How does these relate to battery consumption? Does that white dot denote something?
IMG_1640_1.jpg

(This might be a different thread, "instruments and gauges".)

Last edited by a moderator:
What are these measurements showing? How does these relate to battery consumption? Does that white dot denote something?
IMG_1640_1.jpg

My guess is that he took that photo while the vehicle was stopped, so it didn't show any activity. I assume it has bars that grow in either the positive or negative direction depending on if you are speeding up or slowing down.
Bars pointing down below the +/- line should show regen and slowing (so power going back to the battery again). If all bars were max upwards it would be 280ft-lb / 250hp / .7 forward g's.
The torque and power bars would track to the torque and power curve, so with the accelerator pedal fully down from stop, the torque bar would likely jump to max, and stay that way as the power bar rose. Once power bar got to max then the torque bar would start to drop off as you head towards max rpms.

Oh, and I assume this is all eMotor related. For instance if you stomped on the brake pedal you would be doing ~ -1g but the display above only shows the eMotor contribution (max - .2g of regen braking)

Last edited:
VDS touchscreen new features

I just noticed something in my Tesla Roadster. Not sure if this is new from a firmware update or if it has always been there. Perhaps others can confirm.

On the main VDS screen with your range image and ideal miles, when you touch the screen in the area of the outlined battery charge, it now switches the Roadster between performance, range and standard mode. Storage mode is not available via this method.

You no longer need to go into any other screens. You can change your mode while driving with one click of your finger within the outline of the battery.

Is this new? Or am I just slow to notice this feature?

To verify, just touch within the green area of this screen.

4332785751_51e4584f45_d.jpg

Last edited:
Also just picked up the new firmware today.

2008 1.5

I do not have the mph speed readout but noticed a new KW meter much like the cluster's amp meter. It's in the graph screen.

I think the day of the week is new too.

Dr Computer's request to move the P, S and R letters has also been done.

Last edited:
I had my firmware upgraded last week at the dealership and that was one of the new features the service manager pointed out - the ability to switch between standard, performance, and range modes by just touching the battery on the range battery screen.