Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sign-in on Plugshare when using Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wish more Tesla owners would use Plugshare when using superchargers so we can get an idea of how busy the superchargers are before leaving for a trip so we can plan better for how much time we may need.

Of course it would be nice if Tesla provided this on the app. But since that is not available I would like to encourage other Tesla owners to sit in on Plugshare. It is a great resource that is under used.

(I do not have any affiliation to Plugshare or Recargo)

I'm not sure exactly how real time the push data is from car to Tesla but this seems like a no brainer for the car to do all by itself. This smaller bit of work would keep Tesla from having to maintain and dispatch this information in the event they did the thing themselves.

Just from a security point of view, I would not report to Plugshare when I am at a charging station, be it a regular charger or a supercharger. I have reported my success with charging in the past, but days after the actual charge. I do not want third parties to know when no one is home at my house.

Tesla knows when a car is connected to their superchargers. I was recently at the Rocky Mount location and received an error message when connecting the charge cable to my car. I called Tesla's supercharger dept, and the person not only knew which charge station I was connected to, but he also knew the VIN of my car (he said the car and the charger communicate with each other). So Tesla could provide info on how many chargers are in use at each location, if the wanted to.

BTW, in November, I used the Glen Allen VA (twice), Burlington NC (once), Port Orange FL (twice), Port St. Lucie FL (twice) and Rocky Mount NC (once) superchargers, and I was the only car charging each time. So I don't think it is a problem with all the chargers being used (at least in a Washington DC to FL trip) at the present time, although this could change in the future.

Last edited:
Since Tesla has realtime SC info, should be easy for them to incorporate within the supercharger icons on Google maps. For example, as you touch an upcoming icon, it says "Milford, CT Supercharger: 3/8 currently in use" or something to that effect.

Just from a security point of view, I would not report to Plugshare when I am at a charging station, be it a regular charger or a supercharger. I have reported my success with charging in the past, but days after the actual charge. I do not want third parties to know when no one is home at my house.
You don't have to leave your comment on PlugShare with any identifiable information...