Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Big Oil getting scared, full page WSJ ad (Exxon)

Yeah I can't find a current source for exploration, drilling, extraction, and transport to the refinery.

Quote Originally Posted by JRP3 View Post
    Indeed. I used to love the sound of a big V8 or a superbike at full bore. Now I can't wait to turn all of my formerly loud "toys" into EV's.
    While I love my S and wouldn't want to think of not having it, sometimes the sound of a V-8 through pipes without mufflers is just fun. I have a friend who drives a Cobra. It is loud, open not exceptionally comfortable, but absolutely fun to drive or just ride in. In the same way he loves the feeling of acceleration from my Tesla without the noise - ninja mode.

"sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't"

Quote Originally Posted by travelinglites View Post
    While I love my S and wouldn't want to think of not having it, sometimes the sound of a V-8 through pipes without mufflers is just fun. I have a friend who drives a Cobra. It is loud, open not exceptionally comfortable, but absolutely fun to drive or just ride in. In the same way he loves the feeling of acceleration from my Tesla without the noise - ninja mode.

I would've thought I'd have similar feelings but I've had my Tesla for a year and hate driving ICE engines now, I've gotten so comfortable with the silence that any noise just now annoys me, the louder the more I dislike it now. No ICEs for me ever again.

Quote Originally Posted by TSLAopt View Post
    I would've thought I'd have similar feelings but I've had my Tesla for a year and hate driving ICE engines now, I've gotten so comfortable with the silence that any noise just now annoys me, the louder the more I dislike it now. No ICEs for me ever again.
    +1 on that!

ICE noise is just plain annoying. Even a great V6, V8 or V12 after about 10 minutes becomes tedious. And the smell of the exhaust from any car over about 3 years old (gas or diesel) is getting about as irritating as walking behind a smoker. Its only a matter of time before everyone thinks the same way frankly.
    Roadster VIN#454EU
    Model S Signature P85+

Quote Originally Posted by mgemmell View Post
    +1 on that!

ICE noise is just plain annoying. Even a great V6, V8 or V12 after about 10 minutes becomes tedious. And the smell of the exhaust from any car over about 3 years old (gas or diesel) is getting about as irritating as walking behind a smoker. Its only a matter of time before everyone thinks the same way frankly.
    Agreed. Although I've never owned a fancy V-10 or V-12 car, my 2nd favorite car that I owned before the Model S was the Honda S2000 and I used to love taking it to 9000 rpm. I've quickly gotten over associating big noise with great speed (at the automotive level anyway) and am never looking back.
    P85 | White/Tan Leather | Matte Obeche | Pano | Air | Tech | 21" Silver
    CF Spoiler | Sound | Premium Interior Lighting | Fog Lamps | Parcel Shelf
    Alcantara Headliner | Warp Drive

> It is loud, open not exceptionally comfortable, but absolutely fun to drive or just ride in. [travelinglites]

Try that for 5 or 6 hours and you'll be frazzled, hearing shot. First thing to replace on a new beater was always the glasspaks/straight pipes.
    --
    Last edited by wycolo; 2014-01-14 at 04:56 AM.
    Tesla Motors - Illegal in 7 States.

Model S VIN P01536 Robert.Boston's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by travelinglites View Post

I'm sure you could find a shop to retrofit a Model S with hidden external speakers. Then you just need to hook them up to an app that generates engines noise based on the accelerator pedal's position and delta. We know that BMW injects simulated engine noise into the M5's cabin, so this is a doable project.

I want to point out something I find especially nefarious in that same ad campaign from the OP. (Besides the fact that it's oil co marketing)

they have begun to refer to Natural Gas, coal, and oil/gas as "kinds of energy" and their products, generally, as "energy". I know it's already obvious to all of you where I'm going with this, but I'll explain anyway. Oil is NOT "energy" and Nat Gas is NOT a "kind of energy". They are merely substances that, when combined with Oxygen in a chemical reaction, are able to create a "kind of energy". IOW, We Burn them to make Heat. Great for them because the moment the burning starts, a deficit condition is created, requiring the purchase, and subsequent burning of more of their product(s). The attempt to get us to equate the product with the general concept of the energy we need and use (but could get from other sources) is the worst disgusting spin. It drives me crazy, and there currently seems to be no limit to their ability to try to spin us all. They have the budget. I'm trying to take some of it away from them. ML
    X res #3,660

Thread Information