Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Big Oil getting scared, full page WSJ ad (Exxon)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RubberToe

Supporting the greater good
Jun 28, 2012
El Lay
As I was reading through the WSJ yesterday, I came across this. A full page ad by Exxon-Mobile. Here it is. Looks like Exxon is taking it upon themselves to spend some of their umpteen billions of profits to help "educate" consumers. How very thoughtful of them! I think a more appropriate background would have been a nice shot of Beijing at noon. It will be interesting to see what kind of ad's Tesla starts running when they finally do jump in.

The energy in one gallon of gasoline is also enough to keep your smartphone running for how long?
A. 30 days
B. 300 days
C: 3000 days

Answer is C: 3000 days

Because of gasoline's high energy density, your car doesn't have to carry as much fuel compared to other energy sources. Energy Lives Here

RT

wsj1.jpg
wsj2.jpg

I love this particular one (it's also running on TV) because here is what it is saying:

"your car is so embarrassingly inefficient that to get a few miles down the road, once, you waste enough energy to power something that runs on electricity for 10 years ! ! ! That is a seed Exxon can plant w full page adds all they want.

lol. I suppose we should all carry a gallon of gasoline with us in our pocket so we can keep our phones charged for 3000 days.....
If gasoline is really that efficient, why don't we use it at Power plants instead?

Among other things, to me it also shows a disconnect between Exxon's ad agency + internal ad managers, and the company itself, as most at Exxon surely know that diesel has a significantly (12%) greater energy density than gasoline. So they're losing even in their very own sandbox!

As I was reading through the WSJ yesterday, I came across this. A full page ad by Exxon-Mobile. Here it is. Looks like Exxon is taking it upon themselves to spend some of their umpteen billions of profits to help "educate" consumers. How very thoughtful of them! I think a more appropriate background would have been a nice shot of Beijing at noon. It will be interesting to see what kind of ad's Tesla starts running when they finally do jump in.

The energy in one gallon of gasoline is also enough to keep your smartphone running for how long?
A. 30 days
B. 300 days
C: 3000 days

Answer is C: 3000 days

Because of gasoline's high energy density, your car doesn't have to carry as much fuel compared to other energy sources. Energy Lives Here

RT

View attachment 39284View attachment 39285

Saying gasoline is more efficient than electricity is probably the joke of the century. Why does my cost drops from gas @ 26 cents a mile to under 4 cents a mile for my Tesla? What kind of efficiency is this that is costing a whopping 650% more. Is Exxon going to blame Automakers now?

Last edited:
I've got some other questions they can use in their future ads:

Q: How much of the energy in a gallon of gasoline is wasted when burned in a typical car?
A: 80%

Q: How much of the energy of motion is recovered when you slow down in a typical gas car?
A: 0%

Q: How much further can you drive on the same amount of energy in an EV versus a gasoline car.
A: About 5 times further.

Q: What portion of the US trade deficit is due to imported oil?
A: About $1000 per person.

Q: What is the biggest expense over the lifetime of the average car?
A: Gasoline.

Q: Which US company made the most profit in 2012?
A: Exxon

I've got some other questions they can use in their future ads:

Q: How much of the energy in a gallon of gasoline is wasted when burned in a typical car?
A: 80%

Q: How much of the energy of motion is recovered when you slow down in a typical gas car?
A: 0%

Q: How much further can you drive on the same amount of energy in an EV versus a gasoline car.
A: About 5 times further.

Q: What portion of the US trade deficit is due to imported oil?
A: About $1000 per person.

Q: What is the biggest expense over the lifetime of the average car?
A: Gasoline.

Q: Which US company made the most profit in 2012?
A: Exxon

These are gold. Tweeted them with their hashtag.