Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS reset and Performance Plus cars...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I'll be getting a Performance Plus car in a few months, I'm curious about the following in the FW5.8 Release Notes:

Also, if you own a Performance Plus Model S, you will need to go to a Tesla Service Center for further adjustment when switching to 21” wheels.

I remember this being mentioned with some curiosity (and a bit of confusion) when the TPMS reset feature first appeared, but don't recall any details since.

Have any fellow P85+ owners inquired as to what this means exactly? Can we not utilize the user-reset feature for our TPMS? Why do we still have to visit a service center?

The system only holds four TPMS senders, so when you change tires and wheels you have to let it know about the change of senders.

Mmm... I understood from Tesla that the system will be able to hold 8 sensors (two sets) therefore you just need the reset the first time you add a new set or if a TPMS sensor is replaced.

At least that's what I understood from Tilburg service:
Your car will recognize the TPMS-sensors, even if you have put wintertires on the same wheels.
If you would get an extra set of wheels, then the first time you put them on your car, the TPMS-sensors will have to be programmed in a SC, but from then on they will also be recognized forever.
We are working on a software-package to let customers program their own TPMS through the touchscreen, but the exact date of that release isn’t set yet.
The Model S recognizes 8 TPMS-sensors, so you could always use 2 sets of wheels without having to reprogram TPMS.

This was pre-5.8 and that's why they mention that a software package is coming that will allow TPMS reset.

Mmm... I understood from Tesla that the system will be able to hold 8 sensors (two sets) therefore you just need the reset the first time you add a new set or if a TPMS sensor is replaced.

Unless they have changed recently, there are many posts where folks purchased a set of winter tires and wheels and had to have the SC reset them because the system only held four (or perhaps was only able to access four).

Other than the annoying warning that comes on, I don't much care because TPMS doesn't replace regular pressure checks (at least not until the actual pressures are displayed).

slightly off track... but: can I simply mount a new set of winter wheels/tires (purchased from TireRack with their compatible TPMS senders installed) and then do the 5.8 "TPMS Reset" procedure, or do they need to initialized the first time by a service center?

I think that is the whole point of adding the TPMS-user-reset option in 5.8. So you can initialize a new set of wheels and tires without a service center visit. Sorry, long-winded way of saying "Yes, you should be able to program your new wheels yourself."

However, if you have a P85+ you still have to go to the service center for some reason (according to the user manual). Discovering that reason is the purpose of this thread.

WRT Jerry's comment about not needing TMS, the system is there to inform people of a low pressure condition before catastrophic failure. Some may have the proper butt tuning to feel this but most do not. Providing warning, especially with stiff sidewall tires, before the tire fails is useful.

Agreed, but it should warn much sooner than it does, or as an alternative provide actual numbers.

Agree on the numbers. Now since I got the new set of TPMS and have been driving on them it did report to me 1 day after the TPMS install that there was an issue with pressure. Checked and one car had 0.3 atm lower pressure than other tires. Filled it up and it's been fine since so the car does report at 2.7atm. But actual numbers and positions would help though.

Agree on the numbers. Now since I got the new set of TPMS and have been driving on them it did report to me 1 day after the TPMS install that there was an issue with pressure. Checked and one car had 0.3 atm lower pressure than other tires. Filled it up and it's been fine since so the car does report at 2.7atm. But actual numbers and positions would help though.

In my opinion, 2.7 atm is too low for a warning. 3.0 is where I want it to alert because I never want to run the tires below the vehicle placard pressure. (This assumes 3.1 is the vehicle placard pressure). Of course, if the numbers were displayed then the warning wouldn't be needed.

In my opinion, 2.7 atm is too low for a warning. 3.0 is where I want it to alert because I never want to run the tires below the vehicle placard pressure. (This assumes 3.1 is the vehicle placard pressure). Of course, if the numbers were displayed then the warning wouldn't be needed.

The placard said 2.9. I had them fill it to 3.0 and the warning was at 2.7. I think if it's too close you'll get a lot of false positives in colder mornings.

The placard said 2.9. I had them fill it to 3.0 and the warning was at 2.7. I think if it's too close you'll get a lot of false positives in colder mornings.

If that happens it means that you didn't put enough air in to compensate for the cold weather. I wouldn't call that a false positive. Unfortunately, most people get it backwards. That is, they use the speed limit as the minimum speed and the vehicle placard pressure as the maximum pressure. It's far better to use the vehicle placard pressure as the minimum pressure. (There are exceptions like unloaded pickups, lots of gravel road use, etc.)

If that happens it means that you didn't put enough air in to compensate for the cold weather. I wouldn't call that a false positive. Unfortunately, most people get it backwards. That is, they use the speed limit as the minimum speed and the vehicle placard pressure as the maximum pressure. It's far better to use the vehicle placard pressure as the minimum pressure. (There are exceptions like unloaded pickups, lots of gravel road use, etc.)

Well as I mentioned I actually had them fill it to 3.0 even though the placard said 2.9 so I was having a bit more air in there. If the warning went off at 2.9, then with a temperature drop 10C you'd have the warning on immediately. Yes you should probably refill to account for the lowered temperature, but then it'd be wise to also release some when the temperature rises 10-15C again. Noone's going to micromanage like this therefore a bit wider safe variation should be tolerated and yes people should fill to higher pressure before winter because the temps will drop.

The P85+ has different pressure for the front and rear wheels. All other configurations have equal pressure. I'd guess that the button through the dash doesn't know the tire position. When service sets it they walk to each tire in order, then hook up to the car and set it, which would give accurate wheel position info.