Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Horse power gives an interesting perspective

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
someone posted this link in the tesla motors subreddit, http://www.banhdc.org/archives/ch-hist-19711000.html, and it provides an interesting perspective. Horses caused massive pollution, even in the small cities at the time.

My favorite part is the quotes of people defending the horse, for example: “Americans are a horse-loving nation … the wide-spread adoption of the motor-driven vehicle in this country is open to serious doubt.”

I like the way you could replace "horse" with "gas" and "motor" with "battery" and you'd get an argument people use about ICE cars today.
It is also important to note that while EVs are an improvement over ICE vehicles, EVs are not perfect, just as ICE was an improvement at the time, and has major problems today.

This is a great comparison! When ICE's were developed, of course people were fearful, just like many are afraid of EV's today. It's disappointing to see the lack of vision--we may have to sell our Tesla because our condo board is so afraid of the dangers (?) of charging in the under-the-building garage, and a charging station in the outdoor lot would mess up parking for everyone. No vision for the future. All we did was ask to have a 110 v. outlet changed to a 240 one.....

Interesting. To be fair, horses have remained an *intensely* popular hobby. I don't think ICEs are going to have the same attraction in 100 years as those snorting furry beasts do.

- - - Updated - - -

This is a great comparison! When ICE's were developed, of course people were fearful, just like many are afraid of EV's today. It's disappointing to see the lack of vision--we may have to sell our Tesla because our condo board is so afraid of the dangers (?) of charging in the under-the-building garage, and a charging station in the outdoor lot would mess up parking for everyone. No vision for the future. All we did was ask to have a 110 v. outlet changed to a 240 one.....

Gaaah. I take it NJ does not have a "right to charge" law yet. Maybe there's some literature we could find for you to convince the Condo Board that they're afraid about nothing. Maybe a set of photos of underground garages with charging? The phone numbers of some people who've installed such garages?

If the condo board is still crazy after being educated, I'd probably move rather than sell the Tesla. Who wants to deal with a crazy condo board?

That's nuts. Can you get by with a 110V outlet until you can convince them or to move?

Interesting. To be fair, horses have remained an *intensely* popular hobby. I don't think ICEs are going to have the same attraction in 100 years as those snorting furry beasts do.

Well, I do think there will be plenty of classic ICE cars (Ferraris and the like) tucked away in garages in 100 years. People still keep Model T's, which have almost zero practical value in the current environment.