Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Un-Boxing HPWC & Internals Walk-through.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the video! I just bought one of these on Monday and I'm in the middle of installing it in my garage (installation was interrupted by Christmas).

In anticipation of getting an HPWC, when I had the electrician install my 14-50 in October, I had him also install a 100 amp breaker and run lines through the wall, exiting where I want the HPWC. Now I just need to connect and mount it. I've hung the wall plate and am ready to drill the hole in the back of the HPWC.

Honestly, I'm a bit nervous about drilling through the body of the HPWC. I'd hate for the bit to slip and mess it up!

[Later that same day]

Drilling the hole through the back was no big deal. I used a hole saw (don't use a SpeedBor-type bit because it will bind rather than saw). Wiring was no problem, since the electrician did most of the work.

Last edited:
My concern is all the frozen water/ice on the HPWC cord before it is even plugged in. Food for thought.
Should be no problem as long as the end if the cord has been clipped back into the holder so no water can get in and freeze.

- - - Updated - - -

Could you do a walk thru on the UMC which seems to be a reliable unit when you discount problems with its adapter connectors. Show us its guts!
--
Would love to, so I guess I'm now accepting donation of a umc to destroy :). they appear to not be user serviceable.

> donation of a umc to destroy . they appear to not be user serviceable. [islandbayy]

You could hot-knife your way around the equator of the device followed closely by a small piece of sheet metal to cool the plastic so it doesn't re-weld itself. Or a Dremel saw with a depth gauge.

If man made it, man can take it apart.
--

> donation of a umc to destroy . they appear to not be user serviceable. [islandbayy]

You could hot-knife your way around the equator of the device followed closely by a small piece of sheet metal to cool the plastic so it doesn't re-weld itself. Or a Dremel saw with a depth gauge.

If man made it, man can take it apart.
--

True, but this man can't afford to damage a $450 piece of equipment.

It amazes me why people try to make videos but fail to realize the distraction going on beside them.
Kudos for making the damn thing but please, in future, DON'T have little kids heard in the background! Very distracting.
If you're going to do a video, please do it right. Little kids screaming in the background etc is distracting!
Put them to bed before you film!

It amazes me why people try to make videos but fail to realize the distraction going on beside them.
Kudos for making the damn thing but please, in future, DON'T have little kids heard in the background! Very distracting.
If you're going to do a video, please do it right. Little kids screaming in the background etc is distracting!

Enough with the repeated advice to different folks on how to make their videos please. I'm sure there's a forum for film critics somewhere out there.....

Little kids on the forum are also very distracting...

My primary thought watching the video was how much I appreciated islandbayy for taking the time to share this video with the community.

I'd hate for anyone with something to contribute to feel reluctant to share their smarts for fear someone's going to critique their video. I'm more interested in the substance, and this video had substance *plus* the bonus of a juice cup. :)

Giga Dittos.

Grazie Everyone! And I have more Video Treats coming! So STAY TUNED! Next up is Detroit Auto Show & Tesla Booth, + preview of the BMW I3 and I8. Did the best I could, Pushing a stroller, keeping track of midget #2 (my 3 year old) and still taking 700 photo's and a hour of video at the show :)