Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Miami Formula E race

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Larry Chanin

President, Florida Tesla Enthusiasts
Aug 22, 2011
Sarasota, Florida
This event is a bit far off at March 14, 2015, but perhaps by posting this now we can do some pre-planning of a club meet-up centered on the Miami Formula E race.

Calendar For Inaugural Season Of Formula E Confirmed
Now that all ten teams for the inaugural season of the Formula E Championship have been confirmed, we can also reveal the locations for all the races. The Formula E season will stretch over two years, starting in September of 2014 and concluding in June the following year. There will be ten races in total, which will take place in major cities spanning four continents.

The Chinese capital Beijing will host the first race, making it the location of the first-ever sanctioned electric car race. The final race will take place in London.

The 2014/2015 Formula E Championship calendar is confirmed as follows:
Round 1 - Beijing, China - September 13, 2014
Round 2 - Putrajaya, Malaysia - October 2014
Round 3 - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil - November 15, 2014
Round 4 - Punta del Este, Uruguay - December 13, 2014
Round 5 - Buenos Aires, Argentina - January 10, 2015
Round 6 - Los Angeles, U.S. - February 14, 2015
Round 7 - Miami, U.S. - March 14, 2015
Round 8 - Monte Carlo, Monaco - May 9, 2015
Round 9 - Berlin, Germany - May 30, 2015
Round 10 - London, U.K. - June 27, 2015

Andretti Sports Marketing to host Miami Formula E race
Andretti Sports Marketing has today (13 December) been appointed by Formula E to be the official event organisers for the Miami Formula E race - a new fully-electric racing championship taking place on the streets of Downtown Miami on 14 March 2015.

Any interest?

Larry

Larry
Thanks for starting this thread. I have a lot of interest in attending the race. Any info on tickets and good hotels for the race would be appreciated!

Hi Jim,

Since this event is over a year away we'll have to wait a bit to get that information.

However, its never too early to collect some ideas regarding a club event focused around the race. I would hope that before the race we would see the advent of a "Miami" Supercharger. Knowing where it is located would be very helpful in selecting hotels for those of us traveling from the West Coast. Otherwise, there are currently only three hotels in the Miami area with chargers.

Larry

Anything more on this, like the course they are going to drive? I would love to get a hotel room or rent a condo that overlooks a good bit of the course.
ETA: It's going to be in the park by the south end of biscayne, bayfront park. Source was the downtown Miami website.

Last edited:
Anything more on this, like the course they are going to drive? I would love to get a hotel room or rent a condo that overlooks a good bit of the course.
ETA: It's going to be in the park by the south end of biscayne, bayfront park. Source was the downtown Miami website.

Joe,

Could you please provide a link to the Miami website. I've tried and can't locate it.

Thanks.

Larry

Did some more Googling:

Is this the Formula E Miami track layout?

Miami_track_layout.png

Larry

- - - Updated - - -

I found the following public document which matches with the reporter's map in the previous posting.

Formula e layout.jpg

Larry

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a Google map of hotels nearby the above location.

Formula e nearby hotels.jpg

Larry

- - - Updated - - -

I have been in touch with the Public Relations Manager of Andretti Sports Marketing, the local organizer of this event. Unfortunately, she doesn't have any details to share at this time. Hopefully she will contact me when she does.

Larry

http://www.downtownmiami.com/events/miami-formula-e-race.html

I just don't see how they are going to run this in bayfront park, way to cramped already, maybe they are talking about centenial park where formula one races used to pit during the 1980s

Thanks Joe,

If the proposed route shown in my prior posting proves correct, they aren't going to run it in Bayfront Park. It's going to be slightly north of Bayfront Park.

Larry

Hey Larry. Any news from Tesla about this event? Time is flying - the Beijing race is this weekend, though the Miami page still seems divorced of details - no tickets yet.

It would be great if we can hook up with Tesla to put on some kind of display down there.

Want me to give Graham Carroll a shout?

Hey Larry. Any news from Tesla about this event? Time is flying - the Beijing race is this weekend, though the Miami page still seems divorced of details - no tickets yet.

It would be great if we can hook up with Tesla to put on some kind of display down there.

Want me to give Graham Carroll a shout?

Hi Nick,

Sure, see if Graham will share any information, but more than likely he'll have to defer to corporate Marketing.

I have contacted the public relations manager at Andretti Sports Marketing some time ago and offered to participate in a photo opportunity, including a parade of Teslas driving the course at a sedate pace prior to the race. However, although we had been in communication earlier she chose not to respond to my inquiries or offer.

My concern with any large scale event that we might try to organize is that there is insufficient destination charging in the Miami area. To my knowledge there is only three hotels. I have discussed this issue with Tesla and they seemed confident that a "Miami" Supercharger Station would be operational. However, recent rumors suggest that it might not be located close enough to the Miami Formula e race to be really helpful.

I had been hopeful that we might be able to pursue a number of Miami hotels to join the Tesla Destination Charging Program, but I have been too busy to personally pursue this.

Larry

I'm interested in attending. I recall attending the Grand Prix on those same streets many years ago. It was fully packed with fans and there were many corporate-sponsored hospitality tents/suites.

I'm surprised there's very little info online at this point (6 months away). It's possible the Miami event promoters/sponsors are holding back to see how fans "buy" no-noise racing?

Hopefully, a successful launch in Beijing will get things rolling for Miami. I see the Beijing event will be televised live at 3:30 AM EST this Saturday morning and re-broadcast Sun afternoon at 1 PM EST.