Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fantastic news for ALASKA!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great news! After we eventually purchase a Tesla of some flavor, I'd like to drive it to Alaska, most likely using RV parks along the way. Given enough sales and interest, however, perhaps after a number of years we will see SC coverage along the Alaska Highway. :)

(I'm talking Supercharger here, not Service). Or how about Cassair Hwy, more scenic, more remote, no fast food chains. Add to that, one could take a coastal ferry to/from Prince Rupert and carry on.

That's a good one, Gene (not)....I suspect I'm more adventurous in my driving than most, but the Cassiar and its wretched road surface is not my choice of navigating with a Tesla. More importantly, though, is that there is effectively no place where a SpC could be placed: no electricity. Sure, Bell II has a reasonable man-camp/heliskiing site, and Dease Lake a small native village....but that's it...and neither really will serve.

I've driven the Cassiar in autumn, spring and in the depths of winter...in a number of ways it's even more remote than my Denali Highway. And at 435 miles, it sure is longer, too!

Stay tuned for our drive up the Alaska Highway in the Model S come early to mid-May.....

Stay tuned for our drive up the Alaska Highway in the Model S come early to mid-May.....
Audie: I'm sure you're already plotting your return from Arizona to Alaska and have probably already contacted the RV parks along the Alaskan Highway. Your trek will probably be the most extreme North-South trip in a Model S . . . perhaps Monsoon will best your effort when he gets the Model X and brings it home to Costa Rica!

I was recently told by Seattle Service that the Anchorage Service Center will not open until late 2014. Rangers will be coming to Anchorage to service our car in June. Tesla has reduced the trip charge to a flat $100! This is welcome news since the last Ranger visit here cost us nearly $2000 just for the trip charge.

Wow, wasn't your Tesla under warranty? If so, why did you have to pay anything for Ranger service, or did you just want a service even though there was not a service issue? I recently had an issue with charging, and they FedExed a replacement charger, but was ready to send a Ranger if that did not fix the problem (it did fix the problem), but I assumed that Ranger service would not cost me anything. I did not choose to get the $600 annual service because even if I didn't, the warranty holds.

We signed up for the $100 Ranger service just because we thought that it would help subsidize remote service like yours. It turns out that we are using it more than we expected due to the "early adopter" curve.

Tesla Motors wrote me several months ago that they had no plans "at present" to provide Supercharging in Alaska ("but thank you for your suggestions for potential locations". And as for the AlCan.....boo hoo....

With only about four Model Ss in the state, I question the ROI of a supercharger network here. Still, Alaska is a prime location for the Model X. I'm hopeful!

It's not just the number of owners in Alaska, but the number who'd need Superchargers on the way to and in Alaska. I doubt Maine will have many owners, but there are plenty of Mass owners who come here regularly enough that they need Superchargers.

It's not just the number of owners in Alaska, but the number who'd need Superchargers on the way to and in Alaska. I doubt Maine will have many owners, but there are plenty of Mass owners who come here regularly enough that they need Superchargers.

I'd definitely drive my Model S to Alaska, if there were sufficient Superchargers along the way.

Yes, Josh - the pitch I threw to Tesla was that the distribution of SpCs in Alaska and along the way would create a terrific impetus for Tesla owners really to see this continent. I also sold a good number of Model Ss to Alaskans over the winter!!!!!!!! (supposedly......)