Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Worse than getting ICE'ed!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We drove by the Fort Myers SC today and saw this Model S parked while charging. It's a shame that someone can be so inconsiderate by not parking properly. As you can see, it took up 3 spaces. I think this is worse than getting ICE'ed!! At least, an ICE vehicle takes up only one spot at at time.

IMG_0791.jpg

I'd provide the time that this happened (check the timestamp on your original photo) to Tesla along with this photo, so they can contact the owner and ask them to park properly. This is REALLY bad on the part of this driver... :frown:

We drove by the Fort Myers SC today and saw this Model S parked while charging. It's a shame that someone can be so inconsiderate by not parking properly. As you can see, it took up 3 spaces. I think this is worse than getting ICE'ed!! At least, an ICE vehicle takes up only one spot at at time.

Hi Steve,

Terrible. Was it a Florida driver?

Larry

I belive this driver has "backupitis":biggrin:

cartoon.jpg

637-300x234.jpg

Last edited:
It was definitely on purpose. No way anyone doesn't know what lines on the ground mean. I bet you he didn't want his charge cut in half so he prevented access to the 2nd supercharger.

Parking like this owner did probably wouldn't have accomplished that: at all the Supercharger locations I've seen, the two charging wands that share a single Supercharger cabinet are three or four parking bays apart.

Report it!

To be honest, for people saying this I don't see much happening from it. I doubt Tesla will be the charging police. Really, it would be up to the local authorities to give a ticket or something of that nature for double parking. With the amount of superchargers going out and the thousands of Model S vehicles going out per month, they would need a Supercharger team to fill reports out on ICE's alone.

Sorry for being pessimistic/realistic but reporting this I feel doesn't do much good except garner rolled eyes and "Sure we'll look into it" empty promises. In the end, what can Tesla do about it?

To be honest, for people saying this I don't see much happening from it. I doubt Tesla will be the charging police. Really, it would be up to the local authorities to give a ticket or something of that nature for double parking. With the amount of superchargers going out and the thousands of Model S vehicles going out per month, they would need a Supercharger team to fill reports out on ICE's alone.

Sorry for being pessimistic/realistic but reporting this I feel doesn't do much good except garner rolled eyes and "Sure we'll look into it" empty promises. In the end, what can Tesla do about it?

You are right. Have it towed, though having it towed will require calling tesla so the charge port can be unlocked.

They're lucky someone didn't park legally in the space directly behind them and also in the space in front of them ... because of that HAD happened, they would have been stuck there until one of the two cars decided to leave. And that would have been fair justice. "Oh, you can't get out? That's because you parked like an IDIOT."

I think it remains to be seen what Tesla is prepared to do and I wouldn't preclude action by not reporting the issue. In speaking to a Tesla executive in charge of Supercharger deployment, he said that they were interested in being informed regarding problems at Supercharger stations.

I do think that if this sort of behavior is reported for a particular owner that Tesla could suspend Supercharger privileges.

Larry

Parking like this owner did probably wouldn't have accomplished that: at all the Supercharger locations I've seen, the two charging wands that share a single Supercharger cabinet are three or four parking bays apart.

Since they are obviously not on TMC, my guess is they got their information from Edmunds which I think at one point reported that they share with the one next to it.

I think the most effective way to deal this kind of inconsiderate behavior is pressure from the Tesla community. Did you photograph the license plate madartist? With that we could identify the owner and send him or her a polite message pointing out the correct way to park at superchargers and asking to please avoid this kind of behavior in the future. If you photographed the plate, please post it for all of us to see.

The arrangement of the chargers seems to depend on the location. Some supercharger locations are arranged as 1A2A3A4A 1B2B3B4B, while others are arranged as 1A1B 2A2B 3A3B 4A4B. You need to always check the stickers on the chargers. Also, as someone else reported, Tesla told me that the first car connected to a charging pair (e.g., 1A or 1B) gets the majority of the charging current until the charge tapers off.