Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Freezing Rain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
GTA - Freezing Rain

Wow...what a day today. Last night, there was a power outage...thinking that we'd get power up and running in the morning I wasn't sweating...until I woke up this morning and there was still no power. My ICE was in the garage...couldn't open the garage door manually, because I blocked the back entrance with 4 large summer tires from my Cayenne SUV.

I called yorkdale and they were happy to accommodate my car for charging. I told myself - everything is cool and calm. This was 11 am...then at 1 pm...there was power outage at Yorkdale mall. My bad luck.

So...now I am at home...crossing my figures that 120km is enough for me...just in case there is an emergency.

What a day....anyone else experience similar day with the car freezing over?

Last edited:
Wow...what a day today. Last night, there was a power outage...thinking that we'd get power up and running in the morning I wasn't sweating...until I woke up this morning and there was still no power. My ICE was in the garage...couldn't open the garage door manually, because I blocked the back entrance with 4 large summer tires from my Cayenne SUV.

I called yorkdale and they were happy to accommodate my car for charging. I told myself - everything is cool and calm. This was 11 am...then at 1 pm...there was power outage at Yorkdale mall. My bad luck.

So...now I am at home...crossing my figures that 120km is enough for me...just in case there is an emergency.

Yes, this has been the worst storm we have seen in over 20 years of living in this location. Major damage to trees & power lines. We are unable to get out of our driveway today. Every five or 10 minutes we hear crashing sounds as large limbs laden with ice fall to the ground. We've been without power since 2 AM. Unfortunately that also means no water in our rural location. One bright spot, you can charge your iPhone from the Tesla. It's our only outside connection. I have 300 Km in the pack, minus the wallop of giga-wattHours the Ipad sucks out tonight (-:

I'm in Mississauga and while there are power outages all around us, I'm lucky enough to be in an area with underground power lines so we have been with power through the entire storm.

Let me know if you are out this way (Streetsville area) and I'll lend you a charge.

The last time I was in a widespread power outage, my gas tank was almost empty and all the gas stations had no power. Sounds like you still have some options, fortunately!

Very luckily, Ottawa was spared the ice storm this time. We just got boatloads of snow - not enough freezing rain to cause any problems.

IMG_2361.JPG

Hope they get your power back on soon!

I came here to look since reports of vast power outages are in EU news outlets today.

BBC News - Toronto hit as winter storm grips eastern Canada and US
Nach Wintersturm: Hunderttausende Kanadier ohne Strom | tagesschau.de

I'm in Mississauga and while there are power outages all around us, I'm lucky enough to be in an area with underground power lines so we have been with power through the entire storm.

I am happy for you. But can anyone tell me what's so great about pole mounted power distribution? :cursing: I mean, nearly every report of natural disaster (storm, snow, freezing rain) in North America includes vast power outages to residential areas. Even the governor of New Jersey who cannot be accused to be a leftist government meddling advocate, called for more underground lines in the wake of Sandy.

Let me know if you are out this way (Streetsville area) and I'll lend you a charge.

I commend you for offering your help. I hope that owners affected by power outage still have means to access this forum and can contact you.

I am still without power :(....I hope power is restored soon.

Guess this is one of the drawbacks of EV....but still love it :).

Yikes, that's terrible. If you're desperate you can borrow my NEMA 14-50. Plenty of options on PlugShare too.

Too bad Tesla doesn't support Vehicle 2 Home, that would be extremely useful in situations like this. After this year's flood and ice storm I'm thinking it's time to invest in a generator!

Stay warm and good luck!

My in-laws are all freezing in the dark in Scarborough. We're supposed to visit them over the holidays... hopefully the power will come back on!

My utility has crews working through Christmas to try and get the power back on. We have contractors and other utilities that weren't impacted helping as well. It is tremendously challenging work in very poor conditions. My industry has seen more than it's fair share of injuries and fatalities when working in these conditions trying to restore power, so I hope people can understand that crews are working as fast as they safely can.

My utility has crews working through Christmas to try and get the power back on. We have contractors and other utilities that weren't impacted helping as well. It is tremendously challenging work in very poor conditions. My industry has seen more than it's fair share of injuries and fatalities when working in these conditions trying to restore power, so I hope people can understand that crews are working as fast as they safely can.

I totally understand. The news has been showing footage of crews leaning out of their cherry pickers with chain saws. That does NOT look like fun.

In the 1998 ice storm we only lost power for two nights - just the nights - minimal impact. A friend two blocks over had no power for three weeks - it was just three houses that were out so they were low priority. He was shivering in the dark in front of his fireplace, while he could see his neighbour across the street watching TV. Another friend who lived out in the country ended up staying with us for six weeks, because he had no light, heat, water, or telephone service. You really take electricity for granted until it goes away!

If the power doesn't come back we'll just delay our trip. That said, I don't think my wife's parents are having a very good time right now. Fortunately her brother lives in the area, and has been bringing them hot food (not that they cooked it... they don't have power either.)

I'm really glad the ice mostly stayed south of Ottawa! We got maybe a millimeter. Lots of snow, though.

I agree....the guys out there, especially today....are trying their hardest to make everyone happy. Kudos to the teams out there!

I think sometimes people are selfish and don't understand the risks and sacrifices those utilities workers have to endure.

Crossing my figures we can have power! In any case! Happy Holidays!!

Hey guys, on a positive note. I bought a generator on Sunday morning and was able to connect it using my Nema14-50 outlet in my garage. All I had to do is turn off the main power and connect from the generator into my 14-50 in the garage (got the cable made by electrician). Now I have full heat and lights. thanks to the wall outlet. if I didn't have the outlet I would have only been able to get 120V at 15amps max. now I am getting 240v at 30amp. I still have no power but the only one on the street with heat and lights.

Hey guys, on a positive note. I bought a generator on Sunday morning and was able to connect it using my Nema14-50 outlet in my garage.

That's great that you've got heat and lights, but that method of connecting a generator is certainly not to code. I am a VP at an Ontario electric utility who still has crews all over trying to restore power. I implore you to be careful with this setup and to make sure your main breaker stays off while the generator is connected. Power can otherwise backfeed on to the utility lines injuring or killing a lineman. It has happened too many times to count.

Also please make sure you keep the generator away from the house. You've probably read of the man and his mother killed by fumes running a generator in an attached garage, even though there was no access to the house.

We have just hit 74 hours without the grid (my longest outage ever - by far). I've borrowed a friends' 3kW generator which is able to keep us warm, and keep our food frozen/cold. The Model S is sitting with 207km range, in energy saving mode. I am driving the Volt for our errands - running in gas mode only right now.
Latest forecast is for Power to return by Boxing Day.

The utility workers are doing an admirable job. There is just too much work to do.

David