Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.8.4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All,

Just updated to 5.8.4 (1.49.57).

Official update notes details that the car will now reduce charge current after seeing some voltage fluctuations making for a safer system. Pictures below:

Peter

PS, Sorry I can't figure out how to tag the picture to display upright on a PC, it looks perfect on my iPhone...

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
I sounds like they went back to the logs on the garage fire car and saw Vin flopping about. If you can see it, you can dial down your current draw and pop up an error message for the owner. NEAT.
This is how the fast response software update should be used. Find it, target it to remove the immediate threat and COMMUNICATE what you have/are doing.

Transcription:
bluetinc's picture said:
Update Succeeded - What's New in Release v5.8.4

Automatic Charge Current Reduction

If the Model S onboard charging system detects unexpected fluctuations in the input
power to the vehicle, it will automatically reduce the charging current by 25%. For
example, this will reduce a 40 amp charge rate to 30 amps.

This change is designed to help protect you even when a problem exists that is
outside of the car or charging electronics. It should significantly increase robustness
and safety in the unlikely situation that a home wiring system receptacle, adapter or
cord is unable to meet its rated current capacity.​

My update is installing now. I hope it fixes the sleep mode. 5.6 reduced the vampire load. The first version of 5.8 that I received also worked properly. The second version of 5.8 that I installed about 4 days ago broke the sleep function, and I started losing about 8 miles a day again. Am hoping the sleep mode in 5.8.4 will work properly again.

My update is installing now. I hope it fixes the sleep mode. 5.6 reduced the vampire load. The first version of 5.8 that I received also worked properly. The second version of 5.8 that I installed about 4 days ago broke the sleep function, and I started losing about 8 miles a day again. Am hoping the sleep mode in 5.8.4 will work properly again.
Please contact [email protected] about this if you haven't already. Thanks!

After each update you should try toggling the setting that is causing you problems and resetting your main screen. Another member on here discovered that some funkiness happens after an update.

[QUOTcuriousuetinc;530505]All,

Just updated to 5.8.4 (1.49.57).

Official update notes details that the car will now reduce charge current after seeing some voltage fluctuations making for a safer system. Pictures below:

Peter

PS, Sorry I can't figure out how to tag the picture to display upright on a PC, it looks perfect on my iPhone...

View attachment 38835
View attachment 38836[/QUOTE]

I am curious about what Tesla considers a "voltage fluctuation" before the software makes an adjustment to the current draw.

Perhaps this upgrade changes the charging system so that it again will be possible to charge with the full current/amps when the power is good. I have had the problem after upgrading to 5.6 that power is reduced automatically. I.e. when 32A is available the car only charges at 21/22A. Hopefully the update will allow full power on good installations..

The same happened to me when upgrading to 1.49.22, I think it was. A later update (.24) didn't help, it had to be fixed remotely from Fremont by a FW expert logging into the car.

wow, 4 updates in a month. Seems like it's getting a bit excessive. Especially since I never got 5.6 but went straight from 4.5 to 5.8 (.22). I worry about quick turn updates - fully tested? I've managed software teams a lot and one thing that is a true danger sign is when you hear "hey, I've got a fast fix for xxx problem - it won't affect anything else, completely innocuous. let's push it out."

By the way, I don't think this will prevent a problem with an undersized wire or frozen breaker. It could heat up and start a fire before the current fluctuations cause the car to cut back charging. There's only so much the car can do about the external environment. Note I think the change is a good one - it would probably have caught the faulty UMC problems that we saw earlier.