Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S vs BMW M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TEG

Teslafanatic
Aug 20, 2006
I was running some errands tonight and came across a brand new BMW M3 in a parking lot. I was struck by the way the M logo behind the front wheel sunk into the bodywork like what we are seeing with Model S.

Not as close a matchup as the Jaguar or Maserati, but still some similarities:

BMW-M3_Saloon_UK_Version_2009_photo_06.jpg

3388569178_defd1a02ea.jpg

...Winner...again... Model S...

Last edited:
Yes, it would be quite a bit smaller, although the 3 series has grown a lot over the years.

I was mostly just comparing them for some styling details.

In particular, the lighted logo with indentation made me think of the Model S when I saw it:
3409614319_e34d1f1f27.jpg

3410422800_c895d5aac2.jpg

The Tesla logo is more dramatic, but they had a similar idea.

Maybe in aesthetics but in performance the M3 has the edge

How do we know this when the S hasn't been produced yet? The S will be a larger car, and as far as I know the plan is to beat the M3 to 60 mph. I guess it depends on your performance metric? Which "edge" are you speaking of?

Of course this "edge of performance" is what the Porche and Ferrari drivers thought when they encountered the Wrightspeed X1 on the track as well. Oops.
http://pluginamerica.com/media/Wrightspeed.wmv

Last edited:
Those 21" wheels are really large on the S. When you compare it to a picture of a typical car it may not seem so large, but pictures don't really show the scale. When you take into account how big the wheels are it shows that it is a large car.