Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flat tire procedure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only thing I don't like is that we don't have any kind of spare tire. But oh well, had a nail in the left rear tire, time to flatbed it.:mad:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    909.2 KB · Views: 1,455
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    751.8 KB · Views: 1,405
It looks like you have the 19's if you're willing to give up your drunk you CAN fit a fully inflated 19" wheel and primacy tire in there and have room for jack and everything you need to change out the tire.

Im I sorry this happened but at least tesla pays for the service!

Wouldn't the tire repair kit have gotten you to a tire shop at least? And a nail probably is a patchable thing so fill with repair kit, drive slowly to closest tire shop and have them fix this. No flatbed needed. Though in EU we have to wait until Tesla gets approval on the repair kit (expected in Q1).

Plus the extended warranty period. The maintenance agreement excludes tires. Although I think that if I were Tesla I would include tires just to make an even more awesome experience.

I wonder if the Roadside Assistance for flats covers non Tesla Tires and/or Wheels? I have Nokian winters on the stock Tesla 19" rims and plan to mount my stock Tesla 19" Goodyears to (probably) Rial rims in the spring.

Has anyone put run flats on their cars? I thought about doing that when our oem's wear out. We had them in our Bimmers and my wife hit a piece or rebar on the highway one day that went in through the side wall and gouged her wheel. She was easily able to drive home and after I checked it out we drove on it for a week until BMW got us a new wheel and tire.

Has anyone put run flats on their cars? I thought about doing that when our oem's wear out. We had them in our Bimmers and my wife hit a piece or rebar on the highway one day that went in through the side wall and gouged her wheel. She was easily able to drive home and after I checked it out we drove on it for a week until BMW got us a new wheel and tire.

Runflats are basically bad news for range and comfort. I had a set on for three days and returned them (I only had them because that was the only set of tires Discount Tire had in stock and there was no help for it.) They easily add 80 Wh/mi to the energy use.

Maybe, maybe not. Generally nails cause a slow leak so you can just drive to the tire shop, but sometimes they cause more damage and a repair kit doesn't do it.

Plus if you have 35 series tires the nail might penetrate all the way to the rim. If it does then that inside surface of the rim needs to be resealed. Aluminum is porous to air.

Picked up this nail in the rear of my GL1800. It was 2-1/4" long. In the tread, out the sidewall, not repairable. Then again it was only leaking 1 PSI/day:

GL1800-nail.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Runflats are basically bad news for range and comfort. I had a set on for three days and returned them (I only had them because that was the only set of tires Discount Tire had in stock and there was no help for it.) They easily add 80 Wh/mi to the energy use.

Very popular to take off vehicles which come with run flat/extended operation tires. I now find myself with two vehicles lacking spare tires, the Model S and a Mercedes-Benz ML320 Bluetec. Then again I don't carry spare tires on my motorcycles either.

I replaced the run flats on my bimmer. Tires need to be replaced if you drive more than 10 miles on the flat. Had to replace 3 tires for minor nail puncher each time. I have a tire repair kit now and already used it once.

The most recent Model S car PDF manual describes in detail how to repair a flat with the optional repair kit ( if you're so inclined )

I wonder if the Roadside Assistance for flats covers non Tesla Tires and/or Wheels? I have Nokian winters on the stock Tesla 19" rims and plan to mount my stock Tesla 19" Goodyears to (probably) Rial rims in the spring.

my SC here told me that yes they would cover the roadside assistance however you. Would have to sign a waiver if having them mount a non tesla tire onto a tesla rim. (They put my Hakka 7's on my tesla rims for me about a month ago and I just had to sign a waiver which basically said that if they damaged the tire or rim while putting the tire on I wouldn't hold them liable for the cost of the replacement of either the tire or the rim.)

my SC here told me that yes they would cover the roadside assistance however you. Would have to sign a waiver if having them mount a non tesla tire onto a tesla rim. (They put my Hakka 7's on my tesla rims for me about a month ago and I just had to sign a waiver which basically said that if they damaged the tire or rim while putting the tire on I wouldn't hold them liable for the cost of the replacement of either the tire or the rim.)

That's odd; Hakka 7's were a standard, stock tire from Tesla last year. I bought a set of them mounted on 19's from Tesla last winter.

Just had my first tesla flat after 23k miles. Though it was a screw, the air escaped very quickly.

First of all, I liked the message the car provided. It was a cold morning and my first instinct when I heard the warning beep was that my tire pressure was low due to the cold. But a quick glance at the message on screen let me instantly know this was something a bit more serious. "Tire Pressure Very Low. PULL OVER SAFELY". The pull over safely got my attention.

Though I have a tire repair kit in the car, because of how fast air was escaping I didn't even try to plug it. Roadside assistance was helpful. Waiting on tow truck now. Will update you on how that goes.

All was fine in the end. The tow truck driver said he had towed a tesla before, but when it came down to it, he didn't follow the directions from the owners manual that I had so kindly left on the screen for him. He also insisted on putting the straps through the wheels even though the manual specifically says not to. Wish tesla roadside had an agreement with their towing vendors to follow the instructions precisely.